Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome Mindi, I hope your dog is going to be okay. The stories surrounding this shot are very scary, I would not give it to my dog from all I've read. Good luck to both of you.

shipra.sethi

Welcome Mindi, I hope your dog is going to be okay. The stories surrounding this shot are very scary, I would not give it to my dog from all I've read. Good luck to both of you.
I think the decision should be made only and only by a Veterinary dermatologist.. after proper testing.. and it should be administered only when benefits outweigh the risks

shipra.sethi

For us next step is to consult an Internist and a Neurologist for Coco.. still don’t know what exactly is going on

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'm sorry for your loss Renee, was your pup healthy before getting that shot?

It's too bad there is nothing online from people who have lost their dogs, showing autopsy results definitely targeting that shot as cause of death. Until that happens, it's a very dangerous situation. I refuse to ever let my dog get that injection, but I wouldn't have even know about it without PetForums.

Anniewilliams

Hi,
it’s actually been over a year since my dog had an adverse reaction to Cytopoint (his second injection) but it was such a traumatizing experience that I felt like I should share.
My dog Kobe is half corgi and half terrier. Seems like he started developing allergies around 18 mos. to 24 mos. old. Other than that he’s been perfectly healthy. At some point I started him on Apoquel which worked well but was somewhat pricey. I was happy to try something new when my vet suggested the Cytopoint shot. The first injection was great. Seemed to do the trick as far as stopping him from itching and the cost was much less. If there were any adverse reactions to his first shot, they were so subtle that I didn’t notice. I didn’t think twice about giving him his second injection however many months later when he started itching again. I can’t remember the timing on everything exactly, but I want to say that about 24 hours after his second injection is when I started noticing that something was terribly wrong. The first thing I noticed were stiff hind legs and a really hoarse bark/cough, both just came on out of nowhere. Then I noticed that he was having trouble walking and was very hesitant to go up or down stairs (even just one step from our front porch). He sat there whining at the edge of the sofa bc he wanted to jump up there with me but apparently couldn’t. When I picked him up to place him next to me he let out a shriek and that’s when I noticed that any time I touched him he would yelp in pain. His condition continued to worsen. By the next morning he was extremely lethargic and basically couldn’t walk at all. His back legs were frozen stiff. The cough/bark was still very hoarse and the only place you could touch him without him shrieking in pain was his head. He seemed a little warmer than usual also so I wet a small towel and gently placed it on his back which seemed to bring some relief.
Fast forward...it took Kobe another 24 hours after that to show signs of improvement. I can’t remember the reasons behind why I felt like I could wait it out another day but that’s what we did. It took another two weeks for him to get back to his usual self. Coincidentally, as his health improved, his itching returned. I feel so fortunate that Cytopoint didn’t kill my dog. I have no doubt that if he got a third injection, it would have killed him. Please think twice about giving this to your dog as it could end up being a HUGE mistake. Hope this helped someone. Thanks

shipra.sethi

We had the same with Coco. Stiff jaw. Then stiff front legs next month. Then stiff back legs and spine.. now it is diagnosed as immune mediated polyathritis ( possibly due to cytopoint) as everything started right after that injection

APafDog&CatMom

This is almost too minor to report, but my dog is hardly responding to her third cytopoint shot at all:

Saffy

Well, now I'm terrified. My vet suggested Cytopoint because my rat terrier wont stop chewing his feet. It was administered the same time as oral bordetella, one week after his lepto vaccine. That was Wednesday. It's now Saturday and Bugsy is very lethargic. His right eye has a lump under it and his 3rd eyelid isnt retracting normally. He also has a swollen right cheek. His gums are pale and sticky dry.
I gave him Benedryl thinking maybe it was a bee sting then got on here to see what side effects of Cytopoint were. Only to find out that its mainly drug maker propaganda saying it has no side effects. I dont believe that for a second. My vet told me the same thing... no side effects. I was skeptical at the time but my dog was in pain from chewing himself bloody. He had been on Apoquel but it quit working after a year. Prednisone was next but only for a month. I didnt want to do it longer term so this shot seemed like a great option.
Now, though, I am so upset my vet (and i) didnt do due diligence.
I've got Pedialyte that I've flavored with unsalted chicken stock, hoping to keep his fluids up until the vet opens. He seems less hot to the touch now. The right side of his face still is swollen. He is not puking but doing a lot of vibrating shaking like hes in pain. Since I enticed him to drink, he drank half a bowl (a lot!) And has peed 3 times. I cant decide if that's good or bad.
It looks like I'll need to take him in for IV fluids and... antibiotics? Based on others experiences it seems like those helped? And check for pancreatitis and kidney failure. Ugh. My poor baby! Hopefully he is at least a little better in the morning but a trip to the vet is probably the wisest thing no matter what. Especially after these heartbreaking stories. Thank you to everyone for sharing. It means that I will never get this shot again.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome Saffy, sorry to hear about your dog and I hope he gets better, it doesn't sound very good. :( My dog has seasonal allergies, but I've been avoiding giving him prescription meds for it. I have a prescription for Apoquel, but when I read that it works by suppressing the immune system, I haven't given him any, it just sits on the shelf.

I've had him on Dinovite for the past year, and give him occasional baths with Zymox shampoo and conditioner. I also brush him daily. This year seems better than last, he starts in August and the itching goes on until October. Been adding some oils to his daily canned food too, light olive oil or MCT oil. He eats both canned and dry.

After just reading about Cytopoint on this forum, I and convinced I won't ever be taking any chances by letting them give him that shot. Wishing the best for both of you.

Saffy

Bugsy drank 2 bottles of Pedialyte (diluted with water and unsalted chicken stock to make him want to drink it) in the last 2 days. He is markedly better, his gums are looking good. I gave him Benedryl for his facial swelling and when that didnt seem to help, a 1/4 tab of 5mg Pred. Today, the swelling is nearly gone. I feel like that may have been from the roughness with which my vet administered the oral bordetella since it was on the same side of the face. I dont know for certain.

The downside is that he has been peeing far more often than usual. Since many of the posts here and otherwise have mentioned kidney failure potentially caused by Cytopoint, if it keeps up I will be taking him in for a blood panel. I feel like I should do the blood panel no matter what, just in case though.

It's safe to say that nothing will induce me to ever give him another one of these shots. I'd almost rather deal with what Prednisone dishes out that fear my dog will drop dead without warning. Just thinking about it squeezes my heart. Knowing it has happened to those posting here is soul crushing. I cant believe anyone is allowed to say "There are no side effects."

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'm glad he's a little better, I would do the blood panel too if he was my dog. Prednisone is noted for excessive urination, so that might be it. Good luck!

JerryLee

Hi Saffy,
I am so happy your dog is improving. I had 3 vets recommend cytopoint. Because of everyone here on this forum, I did not give him the shot. So again thank you everyone. My Jerry was on apoquel when I rescued him. I got him off of it and have been struggling since. The immune system is the key. Vaccines are terrible for their immune system. I gave my 2 dogs only rabies that is required by law. After the booster I don’t do that anymore. If the vet complains I have them titer tested to prove the vaccine is still valid. And all other vaccines titer tested fine also. And they haven’t had them since they were puppies, before I got them. Never vaccinate an old dog. And never vaccinate a dog that isn’t in peak health. It just makes them sick.
Now for the good news. I happened on this fantastic powder. It is ProPower digestive supplements from Dr Marty Goldstein. He is a holistic vet in New York that treats dogs from Hollywood. I have his book and have raised my dogs on it. Jerry Lee has been on this powder for about 6 weeks and it has saved his life. He had stopped digesting his food and lost 20 pounds. I was sure he was going to die. He also had bloody diarrhea. This powder has stopped the diarrhea nd he has gained over 6 pounds in 3 weeks. It took about 3 weeks to work. He is happy and playful again. He has a long way to go. But he was losing a pound a week and now he’s gaining 2 per week. It has also helped his itching because everything is better with a healthy gut and strong immune system. His chewed feet are healing and all his other spots are healing and he’s growing beautiful fur back. I also have him on a homeopathic liquid of sulphur which helps his itching. He still scratches but much less. I’m hopeful. I’ll keep you posted. But try to stay away from anything that suppresses their immune system. The powder is expensive but cheaper than these shots and vet bills. Good luck. I know how awful it is to deal with your family member that is miserable.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I'm glad he's a little better, I would do the blood panel too if he was my dog. Prednisone is noted for excessive urination, so that might be it. Good luck!
I did not know that about prednisone but vets warned me long-term treatment causes worse problems than it solves (organ failure and diabetes). I noticed Wilbur sneezed a lot when he was on a high dose of prednisolone and that was fixed by lowering the dose.

Diane

Well, now I'm terrified. My vet suggested Cytopoint because my rat terrier wont stop chewing his feet. It was administered the same time as oral bordetella, one week after his lepto vaccine. That was Wednesday. It's now Saturday and Bugsy is very lethargic. His right eye has a lump under it and his 3rd eyelid isnt retracting normally. He also has a swollen right cheek. His gums are pale and sticky dry.
I gave him Benedryl thinking maybe it was a bee sting then got on here to see what side effects of Cytopoint were. Only to find out that its mainly drug maker propaganda saying it has no side effects. I dont believe that for a second. My vet told me the same thing... no side effects. I was skeptical at the time but my dog was in pain from chewing himself bloody. He had been on Apoquel but it quit working after a year. Prednisone was next but only for a month. I didnt want to do it longer term so this shot seemed like a great option.
Now, though, I am so upset my vet (and i) didnt do due diligence.
I've got Pedialyte that I've flavored with unsalted chicken stock, hoping to keep his fluids up until the vet opens. He seems less hot to the touch now. The right side of his face still is swollen. He is not puking but doing a lot of vibrating shaking like hes in pain. Since I enticed him to drink, he drank half a bowl (a lot!) And has peed 3 times. I cant decide if that's good or bad.
It looks like I'll need to take him in for IV fluids and... antibiotics? Based on others experiences it seems like those helped? And check for pancreatitis and kidney failure. Ugh. My poor baby! Hopefully he is at least a little better in the morning but a trip to the vet is probably the wisest thing no matter what. Especially after these heartbreaking stories. Thank you to everyone for sharing. It means that I will never get this shot again.

Diane

Thank goodness I found this site. My dog has been getting Cytopoint injections for about 4 months and his skin is falling off and he is practically bald. He is running a fever and worse than when I took him to the vet. I suggested this may be the cause but the vet said no. Over $400 in tests with all normal results. Only difference is this injection. It is time for another one but he was really sick last night so I decided to do some research on my own about Cytopoint-
maybe we should start talking class action suit against this drug maker.

JerryLee

Saffy and Diane, good luck with your babies.
I found that the 3 vets that recommended this drug all said there were no side affects. And none of them googled it before recommending this to their clients. After the first vet I came home and researched this drug. It took only a few minutes with a search to find this forum. What is wrong with these vets. I am really angry about all of this. Thank you again everyone for saving Jerry Lee from going through this. However, he is still struggling because there isn’t anything out there that helps and is good for them.

wombat

I wonder if it isn't all the vaccinations the dogs are given yearly that causes all the allergy problems, by effecting their immune systems.
The Labrador we have now and the Shepherd we had has only ever had their very first shots,,and they both were healthy with no allergies, no fleas, hardly ever got baths but mainly good brushing.
The shepherd we had before these 2 dogs always had her yearly shots and was constantly suffering with hot spots and got cancer lumps where she had the vaccinations.
Here in Australia dogs dont have to have rabies vaccinations

linda2147

I agree with you Wombat, my dogs get puppy shots but only what I think is necessary. i don't do the kennel cough or yearly shots, once the basic puppy shots are done the only other thing I do is the rabies and that's because its law here. Same with the cats, As you probably know I have bengals and my vet specializes in bengals and she warned me that giving certain vaccines could actually make them come down with the disease we are trying to prevent. So the only shot they got was the distemper. Never had any issues with allergies with any of my dogs or cats. So I thin there is a lot to be said by over vaccinating

Diane

Hi All
Took Chunk back to his old vet and she said he was having a sever reaction to Cytopoint. Gave him a steriod shot and said that should help. The thing that seems to help him the most is 1/2 a Benadryl to stop the itching. Vet said that he could have those...and I put a dog shirt on him when he starts scratching really bad to keep him from pulling out all his hair.