I think the decision should be made only and only by a Veterinary dermatologist.. after proper testing.. and it should be administered only when benefits outweigh the risksWelcome Mindi, I hope your dog is going to be okay. The stories surrounding this shot are very scary, I would not give it to my dog from all I've read. Good luck to both of you.
I did not know that about prednisone but vets warned me long-term treatment causes worse problems than it solves (organ failure and diabetes). I noticed Wilbur sneezed a lot when he was on a high dose of prednisolone and that was fixed by lowering the dose.I'm glad he's a little better, I would do the blood panel too if he was my dog. Prednisone is noted for excessive urination, so that might be it. Good luck!
Well, now I'm terrified. My vet suggested Cytopoint because my rat terrier wont stop chewing his feet. It was administered the same time as oral bordetella, one week after his lepto vaccine. That was Wednesday. It's now Saturday and Bugsy is very lethargic. His right eye has a lump under it and his 3rd eyelid isnt retracting normally. He also has a swollen right cheek. His gums are pale and sticky dry.
I gave him Benedryl thinking maybe it was a bee sting then got on here to see what side effects of Cytopoint were. Only to find out that its mainly drug maker propaganda saying it has no side effects. I dont believe that for a second. My vet told me the same thing... no side effects. I was skeptical at the time but my dog was in pain from chewing himself bloody. He had been on Apoquel but it quit working after a year. Prednisone was next but only for a month. I didnt want to do it longer term so this shot seemed like a great option.
Now, though, I am so upset my vet (and i) didnt do due diligence.
I've got Pedialyte that I've flavored with unsalted chicken stock, hoping to keep his fluids up until the vet opens. He seems less hot to the touch now. The right side of his face still is swollen. He is not puking but doing a lot of vibrating shaking like hes in pain. Since I enticed him to drink, he drank half a bowl (a lot!) And has peed 3 times. I cant decide if that's good or bad.
It looks like I'll need to take him in for IV fluids and... antibiotics? Based on others experiences it seems like those helped? And check for pancreatitis and kidney failure. Ugh. My poor baby! Hopefully he is at least a little better in the morning but a trip to the vet is probably the wisest thing no matter what. Especially after these heartbreaking stories. Thank you to everyone for sharing. It means that I will never get this shot again.