Has your dog reacted badly to 'Cytopoint' injection (new anti-itch shot)

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Hi Diane. The second vet was saying Cytopoint does not cause severe reactions in all dogs who take it, which is true, but most dogs do react to it (also true) and this alone makes it not okay. Never go back to the first vet for anything.

Diane

No I will never take another pet there or recommend them. I was trying to find a vet closer to my new home but my baby is worth a drive to a vet that will take care of him.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
By the time we got him home he was acting lethargic. He did eat that night though.
Sunday he was much worse. Wouldn't walk around. Refused to eat (he has always been very food motivated).
Got him to eat a chicken breast at dinner.
This morning was heartbreaking. He fell over when he tried to walk and wouldn't even try to stand up afterwards.
But for lunch he ate boiled chicken and rice, and he ate another bowl for dinner.
When he walks, he walks as if he is in pain - stiff legged - and his eyes are watering almost constantly.

I spoke to the vet today about him and they said his side effects are "extremely rare and unusual"... Which I now believe to be untrue, and they want me to bring him back in. I don't think I will be taking him back to that vet... Probably ever.

Reading these posts really makes me worry for his future. I see posts about their fur-babies getting worse weeks after the injection and it quite literally keeps me awake at night.

Rest assured, I will NEVER allow that poison to be given to any of my dogs ever again.

Edit: looking over the paperwork from the vet.
Found out that they also gave him cyclosporine - the one antibiotic that is not to be given with Cytopoint.
Hi TxScorpion, welcome to the forum! I hope your Romeo will be okay, I can't believe how bad this shot is for them, and I can't believe that they gave an antibiotic along with it that shouldn't be combined. :rolleyes: We can't pay too much attention these days to what the vets are doing with our pets.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hi My dog was being given Cytopoint for allergies - nearly killed him. All the time the vet was telling me that there were no know side affects.

Took him back to his old vet and they gave him a steroid shot and confirmed that he was having a sever reaction to Cytopoint. They told me that they give that to some dogs and it's ok but many dogs are having reactions to this just like my dog. It has been almost 3 months since his last Cytopoint injection. His skin is still falling off and he is almost completed bald. However he is finally eating again and not running a high fever. Slowly getting better. They need to take this stuff off the market.
Welcome Diane, glad your dog is at least getting better, that's scary stuff for sure. It should be taken off the market, but if what TxScorpion said is true, it will be hard to prove that the shot was solely responsible for any dog injuries or fatalities. :(

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
No I will never take another pet there or recommend them. I was trying to find a vet closer to my new home but my baby is worth a drive to a vet that will take care of him.
I totally understand. Dogs are smart enough to know where they are going in the car. Nobody likes driving a long way to the vet or higher gas bills. But a longer drive is worth it when the closest vet does not make a dog stop licking his skin off.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I disagree Alpha. Most dogs taking Cytopoint are not taking antibiotics at the same time, right? Proving the shot alone is killing dogs would not be hard to do.

Why the stupid drug has not been taken off the market already is mind-boggling.

TxScorpion

I disagree Alpha. Most dogs taking Cytopoint are not taking antibiotics at the same time, right? Proving the shot alone is killing dogs would not be hard to do.

Why the stupid drug has not been taken off the market already is mind-boggling.
From what I have been researching, many vets will give an antibiotic with the Cytopoint because of the risk of infection.

While most antibiotics will leave distinct markers in the bloodstream, some don't. Specific antibiotics - like fluoroquinolones can alter the very dna of the animal (or person - I know first hand) - but most do not.
Cytopoint alters the il-31 protein in the dogs body. Great for stopping itch, but we don't know fully what other proteins it blocks or alters. They are literally playing around in your dogs brain.

Because of how the body processes the drug, as it effectively absorbs the drug, the dogs body changes, making detection of the drug almost invisible in testing.
It can cause anemia, heart damage, joint damage, and others... We don't know what all it does BECAUSE the body absorbs it and "hides" it.
Read the published reports by the company that makes it. They will scare the hell out of you. They have been slapped by the FDA for making false claims and making claims without any research to back it up. There are reports online showing that they really have no idea how long it stays in the dogs system... Only that the symptoms come back after 4-8 weeks. They have reports of side effects that they bury (I called to report an adverse reaction and was told that lethargy and joint pain are not side effects consistent with this drug - I am going to file another report in writing so I have proof).

It's all about the $$, not about our pets health.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Lethargy is caused by so many illnesses and drugs you can't use it to make claims against Cytopoint until everything else is eliminated.

Why hasn't the FDA pulled Cytopoint off the market yet if they know it is not safe for dogs?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
From what I have been researching, many vets will give an antibiotic with the Cytopoint because of the risk of infection.

While most antibiotics will leave distinct markers in the bloodstream, some don't. Specific antibiotics - like fluoroquinolones can alter the very dna of the animal (or person - I know first hand) - but most do not.
Cytopoint alters the il-31 protein in the dogs body. Great for stopping itch, but we don't know fully what other proteins it blocks or alters. They are literally playing around in your dogs brain.

Because of how the body processes the drug, as it effectively absorbs the drug, the dogs body changes, making detection of the drug almost invisible in testing.
It can cause anemia, heart damage, joint damage, and others... We don't know what all it does BECAUSE the body absorbs it and "hides" it.
Read the published reports by the company that makes it. They will scare the hell out of you. They have been slapped by the FDA for making false claims and making claims without any research to back it up. There are reports online showing that they really have no idea how long it stays in the dogs system... Only that the symptoms come back after 4-8 weeks. They have reports of side effects that they bury (I called to report an adverse reaction and was told that lethargy and joint pain are not side effects consistent with this drug - I am going to file another report in writing so I have proof).

It's all about the $$, not about our pets health.
Thanks for that information, I wasn't aware. You're wise to do this research, we have to learn on our own these days. I agree with you, it's all about the money in both pet and human health businesses.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
The FDA is totally responsible for making sure nothing like Cytopoint is sold by veterinarians. The manufacturer is required by law to do more than one study, correct? I know for human medications, there are three study phases, starting with safety and efficacy. Until all of them are complete, a drug can't be recommended by the board. So it is ridiculous that the FDA even allowed Cytopoint to hit the market.

RenFlo

Hello! I have been reading about everyone’s individual experience with Cytopoint and their pet. I’m very sorry to all of you who have lost your family member due to this drug. My dog, Bruce, was given the shot for the 3rd time on Sept 29 which was a Sunday and then on Tuesday when I got home my dad said he had thrown up white foam. I was worried because he just seemed like he was in pain. I wasn’t sure what to do so we gave him some pepto thinking it was tummy troubles. He threw that up immediately. He refused to eat Tuesday and Wednesday. By Thursday still seeing that he wasn’t my same dog I called the vet and the next appt they had was Saturday. During that time they told me to give him boiled chicken and rice which he refused and he’s not one to refuse chicken.
Saturday comes and he’s alert but still not eating. Very lethargic. (I had been giving him pedialyte to keep him hydrated). They did blood tests on him and a pancreas test. Pancreas was negative but then his blood test showed he had high WBC and high liver enzymes. Nothing significantly high but high enough to be alarming.
They told me to leave him there hooked up to IVs and antibiotics and come back to pick him up. They told me it was the new food that was given to him. He suffers from allergies. I have thought it was the food up until today when I started researching the side effects of cytopoint!
I will not be giving this to my dog ever again.
he is still lethargic, doesn’t want to eat, and is sleeping constantly. He is not my hyper boy anymore. Idk how long it will take for this drug to wear off, but everyday my family is just a hot mess. Crying. Wondering if he’s ever going to recover.
Can we all sue this company?! We’re not the only ones this is happening to! My vet (Banfield) usually gives me a copy Of everything they do on your dogs visit and the reactions that everything can have and Cytopoint isn’t on there. They prob don’t know it could have reactions or just fail to let us pet owners know.
Has anyone had any success with antibiotics or just TLC? I don’t want my dog to die or be in any pain 😔

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Take him to a veterinary hospital. Banfield is just a clinic run by Petsmart. A stand-alone vet clinic with an in-house lab would have better vets and technicians.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
RenFlo, sorry to hear your Bruce is sick from this too. I don't think the vets can be sued at this point, perhaps the company that makes Cytopoint, but even then there would have to be hard evidence that the shot alone was to blame. The vets I think are just given a flyer on these drugs to browse over, they probably don't know very much and if they do, they wouldn't admit to it.

What kind of new food did you start giving him? Did you slowly introduce it by mixing new with old food for awhile? BTW, welcome! :)

RenFlo

RenFlo, sorry to hear your Bruce is sick from this too. I don't think the vets can be sued at this point, perhaps the company that makes Cytopoint, but even then there would have to be hard evidence that the shot alone was to blame. The vets I think are just given a flyer on these drugs to browse over, they probably don't know very much and if they do, they wouldn't admit to it.

What kind of new food did you start giving him? Did you slowly introduce it by mixing new with old food for awhile? BTW, welcome! :)
Thank you! He was prescribed science diet for sensitive skin and stomachs, then that Sunday he was given the cytopoint shot he was switched to Royal Canin Hydrolyzed protein. We gave him half of his old and half of his new. We thought it was that because of the white foam, but everything else points to cytopoint. He’s still not wanting to eat this morning, but he drinks water and wags his tail. I know dogs hide their pain, so I’m hoping his energy picks up and his appetite.

RenFlo

Take him to a veterinary hospital. Banfield is just a clinic run by Petsmart. A stand-alone vet clinic with an in-house lab would have better vets and technicians.
Hello! Yes, we’re taking him to a different vet this weekend to get a second opinion. To an actual vet hospital not Banfield.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
He’s still not wanting to eat this morning, but he drinks water and wags his tail. I know dogs hide their pain, so I’m hoping his energy picks up and his appetite.
Hope he feels better soon, and glad you're going to another place besides Banfield, heard too many negative things about them. Good luck!

RenFlo

Thank you! He was prescribed science diet for sensitive skin and stomachs, then that Sunday he was given the cytopoint shot he was switched to Royal Canin Hydrolyzed protein. We gave him half of his old and half of his new. We thought it was that because of the white foam, but everything else points to cytopoint. He’s still not wanting to eat this morning, but he drinks water and wags his tail. I know dogs hide their pain, but still hurts to see him that way.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Yuck! I have read bad things about prescription diets and hydrolyzed protein. They are nothing but money makers for Hill's and Royal Canin. A vet who prescribes such things has almost NO training on canine nutrition.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thank you! He was prescribed science diet for sensitive skin and stomachs, then that Sunday he was given the cytopoint shot he was switched to Royal Canin Hydrolyzed protein. We gave him half of his old and half of his new. We thought it was that because of the white foam, but everything else points to cytopoint. He’s still not wanting to eat this morning, but he drinks water and wags his tail. I know dogs hide their pain, but still hurts to see him that way.
I've never used Royal Canin brand foods, but I know that they are a higher quality than Hill's Science Diet, so that was a good change. I know what you mean to see our furkids in discomfort or pain, I'm greatly affected when either of my pets are sickly.

RenFlo

Hi My dog was being given Cytopoint for allergies - nearly killed him. All the time the vet was telling me that there were no know side affects.

Took him back to his old vet and they gave him a steroid shot and confirmed that he was having a sever reaction to Cytopoint. They told me that they give that to some dogs and it's ok but many dogs are having reactions to this just like my dog. It has been almost 3 months since his last Cytopoint injection. His skin is still falling off and he is almost completed bald. However he is finally eating again and not running a high fever. Slowly getting better. They need to take this stuff off the market.
Hi Diane did the steroid shot help your dog? After cytopoint? If so, do you mind sharing the name of that steroid? I’m taking my dog to a different vet and just want to ask him if that could help him.

RenFlo

Yuck! I have read bad things about prescription diets and hydrolyzed protein. They are nothing but money makers for Hill's and Royal Canin. A vet who prescribes such things has almost NO training on canine nutrition.
He’s actually done really well with the science diet, but kinda didn’t like the hydrolyzed protein. He’s always had a sensitive stomach, but yes I agree. Banfield is no longer going to be his vet.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Science Diet is actually just the product line for healthy cats and dogs (kitten/puppy to senior cat/dog).