Having my dog put to sleep

Tbow

Am having a really hard time at the moment .just had my dog sasha put to sleep . She had lumps on her belly she poop and wee in the house . She would wake 3 to 4 times a night crying she was blind in one eye . She would stand and stare at the wall would pace about . There was no playing or greeting from her she slept all the time .she had arthritis. She is 15 years old . I took her to the vets on thursday to have one of the lumps checked and give her a check over . He called me in and said it's not good there is two choices the 1st one is to have her operated on to see if the lumps or cancerous but she might not come of of it . Or you give her painkillers cause she is in pain with the lump which was ulcerated. But only for 3 days he would give painkillers for her if I didnt take the 1st choice.he said it was time to let her go. I didnt really want her to go through anymore pain of operations so we decided to let her go . We planned for her to be put to sleep at home today . But she had a really bad seizure on saturday which she was bad with so we decided to have her put to sleep that night at the vets which was really hard cause you wasnt allowed in with her. I just hope I did the right thing for her cause am finding this really hard and upsetting

linda2147

you did the right thing. There is only so much we can do no matter how much we love them. Its very hard but its the last thing you will ever do for her . Its going to take time probably a long time to really realize she is gone but she is in a better place now, no more pain and suffering . So don't seconde guess yourself. Sometimes we just have to bite the bullet and do what's best for them and put our feeling aside for the moment We've all been there and have to make the decision for them. In time you will realize you did the best thing you could do for her, you ended her pain and now yours begins.

Tbow

Original Poster
I just keep thinking what if we did this or what if we did that am looking all her problems up online which I know I shouldn't. My daughter keeps telling me to stop it but it's so hard . Just miss her so much .

linda2147

of course you miss her and you will for a while. Its natural to second guess your decision but you know in your heart you did the right things. We all have to do what's best for them even if its not best for us. Give yourself time it will get better and when the time comes and you are ready for a new pet don't think you are being disloyal to her she has a special place in your heart and a new one won't take her place but it will make a new place of its own. Just give yourself time, don't rush into anything until you are ready. She will live on in your heart and memory, nothing will take that away from you.

Tbow

Original Poster
of course you miss her and you will for a while. Its natural to second guess your decision but you know in your heart you did the right things. We all have to do what's best for them even if its not best for us. Give yourself time it will get better and when the time comes and you are ready for a new pet don't think you are being disloyal to her she has a special place in your heart and a new one won't take her place but it will make a new place of its own. Just give yourself time, don't rush into anything until you are ready. She will live on in your heart and memory, nothing will take that away from you.

Tbow

Original Poster
Thank you so much linda for your kind words really nice to talk to someone . It's hard to talk with my daughter as she gets upset when I talk about her

linda2147

I know how you feel, some people just don't ununderstand. I have had shepherds for many years and know how hard it is to loose them But it will get better in time and anytime you feel like talking we are always here for you

Tbow

Original Poster
Still cant get my head round all of this am still looking up her symptoms which I cant help it I really feel I've let her down big time by not getting her checked out . We just didnt want any more pain for her the vet thought it had spread cause the lymph node in the back of her knee was enlarged as well .also her lens had moved which he was concerned with she had a operation on about 4 years ago she nearly lost her eye cause the lens was hard to put back in and now it happened again

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
@Tbow Very sorry to hear that you lost your dear Sasha. You did the right thing for her and you should now have peace of mind knowing that she's out of pain, not afraid and resting peacefully. Please accept that you did the best for her, she was an older dog and many times putting them through treatments and surgery is just added stress and pain for them, and it often doesn't turn out well for the dog.

Be kind to yourself now, my heart goes out to you....hugs. 💙

Tbow

Original Poster
Thank you am just finding it really hard to come to terms with this I feel I've let her down

Tbow

Original Poster
My partner said she had had enough she was in pain she was tired with it . And I know she would have had a couple of surgery for the lump and eye and he didnt want her to go through it . Then to top it all she had a seizure which she has never had before so dont know what caused that to happen the lump was on her mammary glands .

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My partner said she had had enough she was in pain she was tired with it
Your partner is right, you did your best for her, you shouldn't second guess things and you definitely shouldn't beat yourself up over making a decision that was needed for Sasha. You didn't let her down at all.

Tbow

Original Poster
:cry: