Heart Broken Parents of Coco

Beetlescott

Hello, My name is Scott, my wife and I just lost our sweet, precious 7 year old Maltipoo 2 days ago, we are both shocked, and grieving, as well as afraid that our precious little girl need not have died. We took Coco to our Vet for a really bad scratching. She scratched so much she bled. She was miserable.

Our Vet recommended an injection called Cytopoint. After the injection on Wed afternoon, Coco stopped scratching, and she also stopped barking, growling, crying, eating, using the bathroom. in fact the only thing she did was move around in a circle every few seconds! The next morning, I left a message with our Vet, Telling her that Coco had had a reaction to the Cytopoint injection.

They called and asked me to bring her in, This was the day after the injection. I was met with my Dr, not as concerned about Coco as she was defending the injection! The only change was Cocos temp was 104. She asked me to leave Coco so they could start an IV, and get some antibiotics started. We got back to the Clinic, to find that her temp was now 106, and it wouldn't come down...They brought her out to us, and it was like a scary movie! She couldn't walk hold her head up, and her body was so hot. We were left with little options. The Vet said it must be a brain lesion. She didn't know us, she was just glazed over in her eyes. The option we were give was euthanasia. Coco shouldn't have died that day, she was taken in for an itch.

Last edited by a moderator:

CoCo's Mom

Cytopoint killed our precious Coco....not a doubt in my mind. Please, please tell your vet and your friends to never use this killer drug!

cluckmecoop7

Blue Boy - My new betta
What a sad story. I'm so sorry for your loss. Cytopoint is a very bad shot!:mad: poor Coco should not have died that day.:( I'm so sorry.

linda2147

If you search this forum you'll find you aren't the only one that had bad results with this shot, Terrible that animals have to die because the testing done with this drug was done by the company and only a very few dogs. I'm sorry for your loss. I'm sure the vet didn't tell you this information and also once a dog's temp goes to 105 there is irreversable brain damage. Not your fault you listened to your vet who you thought had your dog's best interest at heart.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome, my sympathy for the loss of your little Coco, I've been reading so many similar stories with this injection. Must be devastating to take your dog in for itching and lose her in the process. :(

Chilly

I'm so sorry to hear about your Coco! I just went through almost the exact same thing but fortunately my little Chilly dog survived. She's a four-year-old poodle mix who was scratching and chewing so much the vet gave her her first cytopoint shot in April. It worked great! She got another cytopoint shot in June and that also worked wonders. Then, on August 16th, she got another shot. She also got updates on her Bordetella and DAVPPV vaccines that day. Over the next few days Chilly became very lethargic and unresponsive. She spent almost all of her time in her crate and I couldn't get her to come out. Her breathing became labored and she quit eating. I tried everything - beef, chicken, eggs, bacon, cheese, tuna, peanut butter - she wouldn't eat ANY of it! Her eyes were glazed over and she could barely get herself outside to pee. By Labor Day I became so concerned that I took her to the animal hospital. They immediately put her on oxygen and did lots and lots of tests. I left her there overnight and the vet called me the next morning to say that I should prepare myself to make a hard decision. She said she thought that Chilly had an aggressive form of lymphoma. There was fluid in her chest and in her abdomen and she didn't do well without oxygen. They gave her fluids and nutrition via an IV. The next day they told me that they had done additional tests and we would need to wait a week to get the results, so I brought Chilly home. The poor little thing still wasn't eating, but she was starting to drink water again. I had to keep checking her to make sure she was breathing! They gave me an antibiotic, prednisone and an anti-nausea drug for her but she still wouldn't eat. A few days later I took her back for an update and to see if the fluid in her stomach and chest needed to be drained so she could breath easier. The vet I saw that time told me to hold off for a few days - he didn't think it was severe enough to do that. They also did a few more tests, all of which were coming back inconclusive. We were still waiting for the test results to come back from Colorado that were supposed to be definitive. A few days later I got another call from them and was told that the test wasn't viable and we'd need to do another one! Meanwhile, that poor little dog was barely eating anything and getting weaker and skinnier by the day.

I took her in so they could do the test over again and they did also did a kidney and liver function test that day. The vet also pointed out an egg-sized lump on Chilly's shoulder that I hadn't noticed before, so they took a sample of that, as well... Meanwhile, I started to recount when all of these problems stared and I swear it was right after that last cytopoint shot! (I'm sorry this is such a long story, but I think it's important for people to know what happened.)

Soon after that last visit to the vet, Chilly just started eating again. Her energy level picked up, and ALL OF THE TESTS CAME BACK INCONCLUSIVE!! She has slowly improved and that lump has disappeared. I told the vet my suspicions about the cytpoint and she said she'd never heard of anyone having problems with it, but said that Chilly had a "mystery" disease and she'd like to do more tests. I said NO! Here we are now, a month after the cytpoint injection, and Chilly seems to have fully recovered!! She's as hungry as she can be, wants to get out for a walk, is running around like a puppy and seems like she's perfectly normal! I recall that the vet had said the cytopoint shots last about a month, and should be given monthly... I don't think its a coincidence that this entire episode lasted ONE MONTH!! I think the shot wore off and Chilly recovered! I'm so sorry that others have lost their beloved pets to these shots!! I plan to write a full account of Chilly's experience and give it to my vet. Does anyone know of any other forums where I should share this story?

At first I suspected that Chilly's illness was caused by the combination of Cytopoint and the vaccines, but upon hearing everyone else's stories, I'm afraid it would have happened with or without the vaccines... I hope we can increase awareness about this to save others from going through this awful experience. I spent almost $7,000 at the animal hospital and no one could tell me what was wrong with my dog. Now she seems fine. I'm extremely lucky she survived, but she was very close to death when I took her to the hospital. I think the only thing that saved her was the oxygen and the IV fluids and nutrition!!! I would welcome any suggestions about how to help increase awareness about this with other pet owners.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me!

linda2147

the problem is some people have good luck with the shot, these are the people that defend the shot and refuse to believe any problems others are having are due to the shot. A while ago I had posted about it being a new shot and not to use it until it was tested more. Someone replied that I was negative on something that worked so well for his dog. Said he'd never seen such a bad review on something so wonderful. So unless you find other people that have had a problem you re fighting an uphill battle. People have their mind made up and until something bad happens they won't admit maybe others are right. I'm glad your dog survived, a lot don't.

This person never responded to my post again so gotta wonder how his dog is doing now?

Chilly

Cytopoint Problems

the problem is some people have good luck with the shot, these are the people that defend the shot and refuse to believe any problems others are having are due to the shot. A while ago I had posted about it being a new shot and not to use it until it was tested more. Someone replied that I was negative on something that worked so well for his dog. Said he'd never seen such a bad review on something so wonderful. So unless you find other people that have had a problem you re fighting an uphill battle. People have their mind made up and until something bad happens they won't admit maybe others are right. I'm glad your dog survived, a lot don't.

This person never responded to my post again so gotta wonder how his dog is doing now?

Well, that sounds just like my vet!! Can't admit that something might be wrong with cytopoint! I'll post here again if/when I'm able to make any progress with my vet or any other avenues... Sure wish I'd seen your previous posts about this... I only found this forum once I started searching for info about cytopoint... too late to help me and Chilly... hopefully others will read this an be cautious!

linda2147

I hope you do get some results. Years ago I warned people about that six month heatworm shot, They claimed it was so wonderful until hundreds of dog died before people started to listen and eventually that shot was pulled off the market. Personally I NEVER try any thing new, until its been tested on thousands of animals with only a .001% negative review. People are just to quick to try something new they just don't listen.

cluckmecoop7

Blue Boy - My new betta
I hope you do get some results. Years ago I warned people about that six month heatworm shot, They claimed it was so wonderful until hundreds of dog died before people started to listen and eventually that shot was pulled off the market. Personally I NEVER try any thing new, until its been tested on thousands of animals with only a .001% negative review. People are just to quick to try something new they just don't listen.
Your right linda, about your post. I know this is not a thread about your dog, but can you tell me how old she is? Sorry Beetlescott.

Chilly

Cytopoint Problems

Great advice that we should ALL heed! Thank you!

Floresmk

Hello, My name is Scott, my wife and I just lost our sweet, precious 7 year old Maltipoo 2 days ago, we are both shocked, and grieving, as well as afraid that our precious little girl need not have died. We took Coco to our Vet for a really bad scratching. She scratched so much she bled. She was miserable. Our Vet recommended an injection called Cytopoint. After the injection on Wed afternoon, Coco stopped scratching, and she also stopped barking, growling, crying, eating, using the bathroom. in fact the only thing she did was move around in a circle every few seconds! The next morning, I left a message with our Vet, Telling her that Coco had had a reaction to the Cytopoint injection. They called and asked me to bring her in, This was the day after the injection. I was met with my Dr, not as concerned about Coco as she was defending the injection! The only change was Cocos temp was 104. She asked me to leave Coco so they could start an IV, and get some antibiotics started. We got back to the Clinic, to find that her temp was now 106, and it wouldn't come down...They brought her out to us, and it was like a scary movie! She couldn't walk hold her head up, and her body was so hot. We were left with little options. The Vet said it must be a brain lesion. She didn't know us, she was just glazed over in her eyes. The option we were give was euthanasia. Coco shouldn't have died that day, she was taken in for an itch.
I am so sorry for your loss :( i have no words. I’ve been doing some research about this shot since my dog Coco (same name) was given this shot due to his allergies and rash last saturday and he hasnt been the same ever since. He has been very lethargic, his head always down like if his bones were hurting, he doesnt react when I call his name, heavy breathing. He eats but i dont think he is comfrotable enough to sleep. We took him back 3 days after the shot and they dont know whats wrong they think its a “mistery” they just gave him an steroid shot and medicine. I know Cytopoint is the reason why my dog is feeling like this! I wish i wouldve done more research before giving him this.

Floresmk

Hello, My name is Scott, my wife and I just lost our sweet, precious 7 year old Maltipoo 2 days ago, we are both shocked, and grieving, as well as afraid that our precious little girl need not have died. We took Coco to our Vet for a really bad scratching. She scratched so much she bled. She was miserable. Our Vet recommended an injection called Cytopoint. After the injection on Wed afternoon, Coco stopped scratching, and she also stopped barking, growling, crying, eating, using the bathroom. in fact the only thing she did was move around in a circle every few seconds! The next morning, I left a message with our Vet, Telling her that Coco had had a reaction to the Cytopoint injection. They called and asked me to bring her in, This was the day after the injection. I was met with my Dr, not as concerned about Coco as she was defending the injection! The only change was Cocos temp was 104. She asked me to leave Coco so they could start an IV, and get some antibiotics started. We got back to the Clinic, to find that her temp was now 106, and it wouldn't come down...They brought her out to us, and it was like a scary movie! She couldn't walk hold her head up, and her body was so hot. We were left with little options. The Vet said it must be a brain lesion. She didn't know us, she was just glazed over in her eyes. The option we were give was euthanasia. Coco shouldn't have died that day, she was taken in for an itch.
I am so sorry for your loss :( i have no words. I’ve been doing some research about this shot since my dog Coco (same name) was given this shot due to his allergies and rash last saturday and he hasnt been the same ever since. He has been very lethargic, his head always down like if his bones were hurting, he doesnt react when I call his name, heavy breathing. He eats but i dont think he is comfrotable enough to sleep. We took him back 3 days after the shot and they dont know whats wrong they think its a “mistery” they just gave him an steroid shot and medicine. I know Cytopoint is the reason why my dog is feeling like this! I wish i wouldve done more research before giving him this.

linda2147

I hope your dog is ok, People need to stop taking the words of a vet that knows no more than we do about new products. Until its tested and tested and tested on thousands of dogs with negative reaction results I say NO to any new things they come up with . The animal has no say on what's done to them, its up to us as pet parents to watch out for them