Help Conservation, Adopt a Rhino :)

Cat001

I wanted to spread the word for one of my favourite places on Earth, as they're currently struggling to make up the funds to continue their Rhino protection with the country being on lockdown. Nature Reserves like Mankwe make their money from visitors, but sadly the camps now run empty with zero income, but plenty of expenses to cover. They are a Nature Reserve based in South Africa and these people put their hearts and souls into their animals. Their Rhino's cost a lot of money to protect and Rhino pouching has increased in the local area with a few dozen already poached (9 losses alone within just a week!) so they need support more than ever. Each Rhino is a valued family member to the reserve, a loss of one of their Rhinos is not a statistic but a tragedy.

There has been a few incursions on Mankwe itself. All their Rhinos remain safe thanks to the relentless and dedicated efforts of the staff but despite their best efforts, animals have still been lost, including a family of warthogs on Wednesday night. Damage has also been done to a known aardvark and python burrows.
If you're willing to adopt a Rhino for 6 months, or just make a small one-off donation, anything would be gratefully received and appreciated. If you can't make a donation, spreading awareness is more than enough support. I'm heading back out their in August myself for 6 weeks as a volunteer, once you visit the place once you're apart of the family for life!

And here's one of Lynne giving a speech whilst receiving her honorary degree, she's the Operations Manager of the reserve and honestly one of the nicest people you will ever meet.

The challenges faced by Nature Reserves like Mankwe, who rely on funding from visitors is immense, with continued costs of vehicle repairs, maintenance of Anti-poaching unit and dogs, veterinary costs and general reserve maintenance. Staff have already had to endure wage cuts but are dedicatedly remaining on lockdown within the reserve rather than going home. Travel is heavily restricted making vehicle repairs, and simple food acquisition for all staff difficult. The current full moon also brings increasing worry as the light of the moon is readily used by poachers to aid them.

Here’s a post from Lynne, Operations Manager at Mankwe….

“So many people have asked how they can help and one of the most effective ways is by creating awareness.

I would like to say a big thank you to Adam Hart for putting me in touch with journalists from around the world.

I am so appreciative that our story is now in the New York Times, this story is so much bigger than Mankwe so please give it a read and share it.

The negative impact that Covid19 has had on conservation in Africa is immense and as the lock downs and travel bans extend it is only going to intensify.

While everyone , quite rightly, are finding a way to cope with their personal situations I fear that wildlife and conservation will be forgotten.

It is up to every one of us to make sure that vulnerable wildlife stays protected while the national parks and private reserves stand empty.

Tourism is the main source of income to conservation. Tourists are also added eyes and ears and a big deterrent to poachers.

Conservation needs assistance now more than ever. It is imperative that rangers and anti-poaching scouts stay employed, without tourists and guides these people are the only ones left to protect the animals from poachers. Get involved and help us make sure that Africa's unique wildlife is still around when this is all over.”

Here's the article in the New York Times

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/science/coronavirus-poaching-rhinos.html?smid=fb-share&fbclid=IwAR1rMZcpYAiBwQvSry7fZLblh1TFkZu3wyhL1C42vrDW1yiH6DDhymaqybQ

Another good article highlighting the inadvertent threat coronavirus has on Africas wildlife...
https://earther.gizmodo.com/why-coronavirus-could-lead-to-more-rhino-poaching-1842754861

And here’s the link to anyone who is able to donate, or even to share and spread the word…

https://www.endangeredrhino.org/donate/?fbclid=IwAR0Qk1s13NkxpcayGv81dgVY6nNhJ4HJ7jSwKQTtnPdu--dl801It1VSMIY

I’m proud to support these dedicated people and have also contributed my photos to help them with their cause. I’m happy to say my pictures are being to put to good use in this cause, I’ve seen these animals first hand and would be absolutely gutted and torn to hear of anything bad happening to any of them.

If you can’t donate it would be amazing and graciously appreciated if you could spread the word to help raise awareness of the issues faced by the people on the front line for Rhino and Wildlife Conservation in Africa!

Cat001

Original Poster
I thought I'd also share some of my shots from my previous visits to Mankwe...

Bruno keeping a watchful eye over the reserve

Anti-poaching dogs in training (Shiela and Bullet)

Splodge likes to help out too

Always remembering those that have been lost

Some of the residents that the staff are working hard to protect

Removing a poachers snare during foot patrol

Mbezi joining us, followed by bongi

Bongi and Mbezi