Help With 5 mo.Puppy Who Won't Eat!

mayasparent

I could really use some help - my 5 month old puppy will not eat. She's always been a picky eater and has dealt with parasites, chronic constipation, and gas issues however those have resolved. She eats treats no problem but will not eat her meals, she's eating about 1/4 of what she should per day.

We've been to the vet about every week and they say there's nothing wrong with her except that she's underweight. We have tried the following:

• Feeding her with us present and without
  • Sticking to a consistent feeding schedule
  • We have tried 3 different wet foods, 5 different dry foods, and dehydrated foods as well as chicken, sweet potato and rice and pumpkin
  • We have fed her in different bowls and on our plates and we have also spoon fed her (which she'll sometimes eat off of)
  • We've played calming music and done lavender essential oil
  • We've tried to feed her in kongs/puzzle mats
  • We've tried to feed her in different rooms and outside
  • We've heated up her food and also served it cold and room temperature
  • We've given her pepcid before meals

Any recommendations or advice are greatly appreciated- outside of this she's a very happy puppy.

Thanks!
Sarah

mechi2

You may be trying to hard. Try setting down her meal, if she doesn't eat it within around 20 minuets take it away until its her next feeding schedule and do the same with that. Don't give her any treats in between. In a couple of days she should figure out if she doesn't eat what's in front of her she won't get anything. Considering of course that you are sure there is no medical issue going on.

TTouch

As Mechi2 says you are 'trying too hard' and she is training you to 'go fetch' something better....... so ONE dish, stainless steel bowls are possibly the best, they are easy to clean/sterilise, last her lifetime, can be 'kicked around' without breaking and food doesn't absorb chemicals like it does with plastic bowls.
Pups are growing and NEED good quality nutrition, she also sounds like she has had/has immune and gut issues which will affect her longterm so it needs resolving and it would have affected her wanting to eat.

Follow Mechi2 advice ( and as long as there are no medical issues) no healthy dog will starve itself, BUT it may take up to a week for her to realise you are not caving in to her 'get me something different ' demands....and MOST owners have less resilience than their demand driven dog. This is also a difficult schedule to stand by when you have a young, old or tiny breed dog, as all can lose weight very quickly and that can be dangerous.

Personally I would be feeding raw/bone, so a raw chicken leg( bone in) , Ox heart, kidney, liver,rabbit, duck, depends on what is available near you, a whole raw fish ( freeze and then thaw before feeding as freezng kills any parasites in fresh fish) you then KNOW that whatever she eats she is getting wholesome food, not 95% of junk fillers which are the ingredients in any commercial dog foods,,, so you know what she does eat it is quality and what she needs.

Set meal times and feed little and often, so it is not too much as any one time for her to face, several small meals is a 'professional' way of increasing weight as it gets their system working and time it, if she sniffs and walks away lift it, cover and do something else like a lead walk, then try again...free fed dogs soon learn they can be picky, they assume 'food' is always available and learn to 'work' ( train) you to get something tastier for them.

No more commerical 'treats' 99% are complete junk and not suitable for dogs ( and cause gut issues) instead visit your butcher every week and get raw beef bones, this will enable her to chew, so exercises her jaws, chewing relieves anxiety and gets her taste buds going, it will also tire her and it is good quality food...and with a 5 month old pup that is always good.

Hard boil an egg, it is high in protein, I leave the shell on for my dogs as the shell is 98% calcium so good for bones/teeth, with a pup if it is having an egg for the first time, take the shell off and get her to sit or come ( so ask her to 'do' something) so she 'earns' what she gets, it is more valuable to a dog to 'earn' what they get they value it more ( which is likely what you are doing with the treats she eats) and give it to her whole. To get her eating...if you like hard boiled eggs, then you bite into it and offer her a bit( the yolk) , it often 'helps/encourages' dogs to eat what you are eating as they always want what you have ...Save the shell, crush it and mix it with mashed potato, mashed carrot ( or grated raw potato and grated raw carrot including skin) , an egg ( calcuim needs vitamin D to be absorbed) and couple of spoonsful of Marmite/Bovril maybe something like a can of sardines ( dog love smelly foods) mix and put in a baking tray, bake until dry, break / cut into pieces, these can be used as 'treats' but ALWAYS ask her to 'do' something for any food/treat.

Purchase some 100% pure NEEM BARK powder, mix a heaped spoonful in any 'treats' you make, sprinkle some on any real meat you offer, a teasp daily will start to rebuild her immune system, it also kills and repels ANY parasites, so fleas, ticks, mites, worms, so no need to give her any chemical fleas poisons or wormers that scour her gut...good for her and save you LOTS of money over the years. My dog works with sheep, so very prone to getting ticks, she mixes with 100s of dogs weekly, so prone to getting fleas, she has NEVER had any ever... in a month, you can just use one teasp a week as the first month will have built up her immune system and parasite protection, then you are just keeping it 'topped up'

Sunak

Who wants a chewstick?
>> "Purchase some 100% pure NEEM BARK"

The neem tree is nothing to mess with, much less feed to a dog. They grow near me and I read online that they are insecticidal and you can spray a concoction on your garden plants. I did that for a few weeks and started to feel really, really bad. I started to suspect it was from inhaling some of the spray, even though I tried to hold my breath. Going back online and digging deeper, I found out neem does not kill insects. It depresses them so much that they leave. So unless you want to feed your dog a nerve agent that will likely mess wirh their mental health, don't touch anything from a neem tree with a ten foot pole. Yeah, it's all natural. So is the hemlock tree.

Beautiful Beasties

I could really use some help - my 5 month old puppy will not eat. She's always been a picky eater and has dealt with parasites, chronic constipation, and gas issues however those have resolved. She eats treats no problem but will not eat her meals, she's eating about 1/4 of what she should per day.

We've been to the vet about every week and they say there's nothing wrong with her except that she's underweight. We have tried the following:

• Feeding her with us present and without
  • Sticking to a consistent feeding schedule
  • We have tried 3 different wet foods, 5 different dry foods, and dehydrated foods as well as chicken, sweet potato and rice and pumpkin
  • We have fed her in different bowls and on our plates and we have also spoon fed her (which she'll sometimes eat off of)
  • We've played calming music and done lavender essential oil
  • We've tried to feed her in kongs/puzzle mats
  • We've tried to feed her in different rooms and outside
  • We've heated up her food and also served it cold and room temperature
  • We've given her pepcid before meals

Any recommendations or advice are greatly appreciated- outside of this she's a very happy puppy.

Thanks!
Sarah
Aside from all the great advice you've gotten in the comments. The only think I might add is to check her mouth. Make sure there are no sores, infection, or teeth coming in. At her age her baby teeth should be falling out and adult teeth coming in. Or soon to be happening. Her mouth may just be sore right now. I know you took her to the vet, but a issue with the mouth or teeth may be an issue. Still, follow the great advice you got here as well.

TTouch

>> "Purchase some 100% pure NEEM BARK"

The neem tree is nothing to mess with, much less feed to a dog. They grow near me and I read online that they are insecticidal and you can spray a concoction on your garden plants. I did that for a few weeks and started to feel really, really bad. I started to suspect it was from inhaling some of the spray, even though I tried to hold my breath. Going back online and digging deeper, I found out neem does not kill insects. It depresses them so much that they leave. So unless you want to feed your dog a nerve agent that will likely mess wirh their mental health, don't touch anything from a neem tree with a ten foot pole. Yeah, it's all natural. So is the hemlock tree.
We are not talking about plants or insects we are talking about dogs which are totally different.
Personal use with my dogs for over 30 yrs along with professional research too.... so not 'digging online' where 'randoms' can write anything.

Neem has been used for 1,000s of years in Asian countries for people and for animals, the oil is used on the skin and hair, used to enable farm animals with an injury to stop fly blight and infection, it can be used to kill the bacteria in nail bed infections and athletes foot, the bark/leaf powder is a natural contracteptive, it boosts the immune system which is central to the health/welbeing of any animal and a natural parasite prevention

springhaiku83

Don't feed your dog a bone that splinters. Chicken bones are dangerous.