Help With New Snails!

PhoenixKoi

Recently with the help of my dad moved my 55 gallon tank up from our basment. We went to the store and bought some plants and got some golden Mystery snails. The bigger one did apear to have a small crack on the front of his shell but it seemed like an old injury so I saw no problem with it. We got everything yesterday including the snails. They both tried to dig into the pebbles and eventually at night climbed onto the glass and started eating some algae so I was pretty sure they were both fine.
This morning they both looked fine though they were back on the ground and were trying to dig. We decided to move a larger snail we had in my moms betta tank into the 55 gallon along with the gold snails because the betta had been picking on him. When we put him in the tank he moved around and explored though the trouble started when he found the small gold snail and started climbing on top of her back! After about an hour he got off of her and went exploring again. After a little while he found the big gold snail and did the same thing. This time when he got on the big snail he stayed on her for around 2-3 hours!
I thought that was far too long and broke them up putting them on different sides of the tank. Pip eventually found her and is currently sitting on top of her again. I dont know what Pip is doing and why he is sitting on top of the new snails. Is he trying to mate with them? Is he trying to eat them or is he just checking them out?

P.S I'm pretty sure Pip is a boy and I also think the two new snails we got are girls though its hard to tell. I will be putting in a picture in reply to this thread.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
I figured out that Pip was trying to breed with the two snails we got because they are female. We removed him since he tried breeding with them more than once a day and it was getting dangerous. We moved him out into our pond with the goldfish this morning and he is doing fine. The goldies are ignoring him and he is already getting to work trying to find some girls to breed with.

The snails have been digging into the substrate due to stress but should start coming out more since Pip is gone. They have both eaten and are now exploring the tank and chewing on some algae. BTW This is not the complete tank, we are ordering some driftwood for the center of the tank and we will be getting some rocks for decoration. I hope this helps some people who are having the same issue with their snail.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Snails mating isn’t harmful, it’s natural behavior. If you have several mystery snails of mixed gender, they will mate no matter what you do. If you don’t want babies, then you can just remove egg clutches and freeze them then throw them away. Mystery snails will lay rather obvious, large, pink clutches of eggs above the waterline.

When I had snails, they would mate pretty much every day if there was a male in the tank.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
Thanks for replying to this thread! I know about the eggs and how breeding once a day or afew times a week is fine. I think Pip took it a bit extreme and was breeding with the snails every hour. I have heard that breeding like this can hurt the females and I didnt want them to die on me. We moved them into the tank the day before we moved in Pip so they were already stressed and burying themselves so I think it was a bit too much for them.
Pip seems to be doing well in the pond and the goldfish havn't botherd him so far. I do have one question though. Can I overwinter Pip out in the pond? (I live in Virginia)

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Thanks for replying to this thread! I know about the eggs and how breeding once a day or afew times a week is fine. I think Pip took it a bit extreme and was breeding with the snails every hour. I have heard that breeding like this can hurt the females and I didnt want them to die on me. We moved them into the tank the day before we moved in Pip so they were already stressed and burying themselves so I think it was a bit too much for them.
Pip seems to be doing well in the pond and the goldfish havn't botherd him so far. I do have one question though. Can I overwinter Pip out in the pond? (I live in Virginia)
Yeah, since he’s been alone most of his life (or at least not with females), I guess he went a little crazy. It might’ve helped if there were more females in the tank so he wasn’t mating with just two.

If he is doing well in the pond, then he can probably just stay there.

I don’t know about the winter part. How cold does it get in Virginia? He’d probably be okay down to 65°. I imagine a mystery snail could survive as low as 60°, but it’s definitely pretty cold for them. I live on the other side of the US, so I don’t know what Virginia weather is like.

PhoenixKoi

Original Poster
It wasnt as cold last winter but it should be pretty cold this winter. It never gets into the negatives but it does get down to 30 or 15 F in January so we may have to move him in with Gladis my moms Beta for the winter. Thanks for the advice!

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
It wasnt as cold last winter but it should be pretty cold this winter. It never gets into the negatives but it does get down to 30 or 15 F in January so we may have to move him in with Gladis my moms Beta for the winter. Thanks for the advice!
Yeah, 30 is definitely far to cold for a mystery snail. They will survive down to 65°, but that’s pretty much as low as they can go for more then a couple days.

You might have to get another tank for your snail then. I do not know too much about how big their tank has to be, but there is a lot on Facebook for cheap or even for free!