Help

Eile

I have a baby common musk turtle named elon and he only eats it’s small pellets, roughly 2-3 a day and today he pooped and usually it’s a normal colour but today it was in this blue coating. I will attach a picture but just wondering if I should be concerned.

Attachments

PhoenixKoi

I dont think its anything to worry about though I have never seen anything like this before in Turtles or Tortoises. Im guessing the container he/she is placed in is a feeding tub and not her main living space because it would be way to small. One reason it may be blue is if the pellets you feed he/she have dye in them that could cause their poop to be a different color just like when humans eat beets. Make sure Elon gets more than just pellets like freeze dried shrimp, Veggies, and fish.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Yeah, sometimes food can change the color of their waste. My goldfish poop bright red when they eat bloodworms and dark green when they eat spinach. If there is blue 2 or something in the pellets, it might change the color of his poo.

Make sure he gets plenty of variety in his diet. Imaging living off of protein bars your whole life. Even if it’s nutritionally dense and good for working out, you still need variety to get proper nutrition.

Musk turtles need 30 gallons or so, but I’d recommend a 40 gal. Some say you can get away with 20, but it’s difficult and high maintenance. Turtles are dirty creatures and need lots of space and fresh, clean water to be healthy.

Eile

Original Poster
I dont think its anything to worry about though I have never seen anything like this before in Turtles or Tortoises. Im guessing the container he/she is placed in is a feeding tub and not her main living space because it would be way to small. One reason it may be blue is if the pellets you feed he/she have dye in them that could cause their poop to be a different color just like when humans eat beets. Make sure Elon gets more than just pellets like freeze dried shrimp, Veggies, and fish.
Yes it is just his feeding container as I don’t want the food to go into his filter, I will try the variety in his diet thank you very much :)