Homemade Cat Food

AnimalLovingIdiot13

Hi there! Hey, I learned that lots of pet foods are processed, made of practically garbage from big food companies, and not all that healthy for the animals who eat it. So I wanted to make my own cat food.

So, at our barn, we have a mouse problem. We also have a feral cat problem in my town. So my dad lets me keep strays in our barn.

Now, they'd be in our house in a heartbeat if I was fully in charge of them. But our barn is still great for kitties. The neighbors' cats that come in (but won't ever go mousing for us) are friendly to both people and cats, the horse's let kittens ride them (no joke, they even let the cats climb on their necks if they don't use claws), the barn is plenty safe, we have heaters and well-insulated walls for the cold Montana winters, the cats get plenty of interaction, we put cozy cat beds around the barn, and I make sure they get fed right and only catch mice when they want to. And that's what I'm wondering about.

We have no cats there now, except for the neighbors' kitties. But I hear the local shelter has a few too many cats and I wanted to adopt some of the cats that would do good in our setup. So when that happens I need to be prepared. And preparation includes food. But, as I stated above, I want to make my own.

So, do any of you have a cat food recipe that I can make for them? I'd like something plant based if possible, since I am vegetarian. I'm not vegan, so I don't mind putting eggs, milk, etc. in the recipe, and I feel fine with putting insects in there. And since my dad wants them for mousers, they'd be getting some meat in their diet anyway. It wouldn't be like those vegetarian cats that live for like 7 years.

CatMom1994

It is great that you can give feral cats a much better shelter than what they would have in someone else's barn! Not all outdoor cats have heat and insulated walls. But why are you sheltering a neighbor's cats? That is the neighbor's responsibility. They should be in the neighbor's house.

Cats are obligate carnivores, but milk is not good for them. Eggs are not a natural source of protein for cats, but can be used in a homemade diet.
Sorry, you will not be able to share table scraps with the cats.

AnimalLovingIdiot13

Original Poster
It is great that you can give feral cats a much better shelter than what they would have in someone else's barn! Not all outdoor cats have heat and insulated walls. But why are you sheltering a neighbor's cats? That is the neighbor's responsibility. They should be in the neighbor's house.

Cats are obligate carnivores, but milk is not good for them. Eggs are not a natural source of protein for cats, but can be used in a homemade diet.
Sorry, you will not be able to share table scraps with the cats.
The neighbors' cats just like to wander inside once in awhile. Tango, our neighbor in back's cat, comes in nightly to mouse. She goes home when she's tired and wakes up at the neighbor's for breakfast.

I forgot that cats can't have milk. I knew that and the fact just faded. That's actually kinda strange. The cartoons say that they love milk, but the facts are way off. Same thing with mice and cheese. I'm pretty sure cheese is really bad for mice (actually, I think dairy in general is bad for mice).

Shoot, I was hoping that I could do something homemade for them like that. Well, whatever's better for them. Thanks, @CatMom1994!

CatMom1994

I have no idea how a cartoonist got the idea to feature kittens drinking milk. In reality, only humans drink milk from another species at any age and no other species continues drinking milk into adulthood. So cats are not missing anything by being lactose intolerant.

Mice are vegans. Their long top incisors exist to bite down on fruits and vegetables, including a rabbit's favorite food - carrots.

You don't need to worry about Tango's diet if she successfully kills and eats the mice. But if she is just chasing and playing with them, I would like to know what is being fed at her house.

AnimalLovingIdiot13

Original Poster
I have no idea how a cartoonist got the idea to feature kittens drinking milk. In reality, only humans drink milk from another species at any age and no other species continues drinking milk into adulthood. So cats are not missing anything by being lactose intolerant.

Mice are vegans. Their long top incisors exist to bite down on fruits and vegetables, including a rabbit's favorite food - carrots.

You don't need to worry about Tango's diet if she successfully kills and eats the mice. But if she is just chasing and playing with them, I would like to know what is being fed at her house.
I'm not actually feeding Tango. her owners do that. I was just saying that she likes to come around and say hi to the cats we get here. She's just a social butterfly.

I actually thought mice were omnivorous and just ate kinda whatever. I didn't know that wild mice actually had a specific diet. But now that you mention it, they do only eat grain and horse treats in the barn when they aren't outside eating grasses and such.

CatMom1994

Flat teeth are for eating plants. Sharp teeth are for eating meat. So you can tell by looking in the animal's mouth if it eats only plants, only meat, or both. Cats get all of their carbohydrates by eating the contents in a prey animal's digestive tract. Dogs became omnivores by humans, not nature.