Hookworms?

sarah430

Hi, my roommates and I have 3 dogs. We have a 5 year old chihuahua, a 3 year old dachshund and a Husky puppy that was born right before Easter. We just found out that the Husky puppy has hookworms and took him to the vet and was given medication. What is the best way to make sure that the two other dogs don't get infected? And is there a specific way that we need to clean our house so that we can make sure that this isn't an issue again?

Try diatomaceous earth for preventative care. Diatomaceous earth is ground fossilized phytoplankton, called diatoms. This super finely ground powder has tiny jagged edges that cut the delicate exoskeleton of intestinal parasite, leading to their dehydration and death. I know it sounds scary, but the pieces are so tiny that they do not affect your pet.

Make sure you use food-grade diatomaceous earth, any other form, like industrial-grade, can be toxic. Many pet stores carry the product, and it can be found online. It's the most natural deworming treatment available. It's effective and safe.

I feed diatomaceous earth for one week every month. It's a powder, so it just goes into their food. The reason I don't feed it all the time is that diatomaceous earth provides trace minerals like calcium, silica, and iron. These are all beneficial to your dog's health, but I feed a raw diet and raw bones that are already rich in these minerals. I limit other forms of trace minerals in their diet to prevent feeding too much.

I have found it to be extremely effective at parasite control.

Good luck with your fur babies!

21stbakerstreet

Pet care and Pet Health
Hookworm infections are generally treated for 1-3 days with medication prescribed by your health care provider. The drugs are effective and appear to have few side effects.