How did you pick your pets names?

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Hi all,

How did you pick your pets name? Silky, my old cat (who is no longer with us) had a very nice name, "Silky". We picked it out of a story book. It was the cats name in the book! I have two betta fish now and their names are Rainbow and swimmer. We picked Rainbow because he has so many pretty colors, and we picked swimmer because he LOVES to swim a lot!

How did you pick your pets names?

Thanks!

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
More about getting the betta fish:

I stopped at a store called Pet Quarters to take a look around. I saw a guinea pig....a cat...and then I saw what I was looking for, BETTA FISH!!!! I quickly started looking at all of them! (There were about 15-20.) Then when we had picked the two betta fish we wanted, we left the store to pick up some family members and then we came back. We bought them along with other things like the tank, food etc. Then we took them home and got some water ready for the tank. It had to be the right temperature before we put them in. That is pretty much the end of how we got them. What is your experience?

Thanks for sharing!

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I just like the name Emily and wanted something unque.

Dad suggested "Pat the Cat" because he was a funny guy, so my sister replied, "Patricia." It was a mistake because Patricia is the feminine name for Patrick, which means dad. I gave her the nickname Pattycakes.

Wilbur came with that name at the shelter. I love the name and he was 5 years old, so there was no reason to change it. People asked me if he was named after a fictional pig. I said no, but the name fit him because he ate like one.

Daisy had received.a topical flea treatment that gave her yellow highlights. She had a lot of yellow on her tail. Not knowing the cause of this, I named her after a flower that is white and yellow. Oops.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
Good names, thanks for sharing!:)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Loki was named after the Norse God of Mischief, and Bigfoot was named after the Bigfoot creature in the woods, or Sasquatch.....especially when his hair grows long.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
One of several names I liked that suited my Standard Schnauzers who were originally bred in Germany.

Dog Force One

Banned
In this place, people's real first and last names are often, but not always, pretty long and elaborate. Real names are usually considered quite formal, and sometimes even a little mysterious, in connection with superstitions. So real names are usually reserved for formal situations and identification, but in everyday conversation almost everyone goes by a separate short nickname. Eventually I realized I wanted to name my dogs the same way, so I gave most of a them both a longer, dignified real name and a shorter nickname for common use. I like that my dogs have the dual name system just like a local person, as an expression of the dignity of their lives and of the respect with which I think all animals should be treated.

For the formal names, I chose the names of cities/towns that I like, or in Sunny's case a word from another language. I like the feeling of a personal connection to some other place, far away.

Only Boise and Joey have single names. Boise because I named her long ago before thinking of the idea of using two names (and because her name is already a place name), and Joey because while his nickname came to my mind quickly (an image of some muscular, likable, forward youth from the Bronx, Queens, or Brooklyn), a suitable formal name eluded me until I eventually stopped thinking about it.

Hee-hee, I just thought of another possible dual name for a future dog. Real name "Denpasar" (in Bali) and nickname "Denny". :- ) But I don't suppose I will have any new pets. By the time my five dogs leave, I will be too old.

There's something nice about the notion that one person or one dog or other pet is themselves like a whole city- a very complex entity, a myriad of moving parts, ever developing, but with innate characteristics as well.

coco

My little cat is the second kitten of his mother, and he is also my second cat, so I call him 'double' that means double love.:playful:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
My neighbor has a cat named Luke. After he started coming over to my yard for a while, I named him Courtney because my HOA is the Courtyards. That was before I saw his genitals.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I don't get it Dog. A "real name" is just whatever a person or pet is originally named regardless of formality. What is "this place" where everyone has both a real name and a nickname and few people use their real names casually?

You write English so well I can't imagine it is your second language. Can you elaborate on naming Sunny?

I read years ago human names are more popular for pets than traditional ones like Tiger and Fliuffy. It just turned out that way for my four kitties.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I tried to give Daisy an Italian name because it was less than two months after a trip to Italy. Unfortunately none of the ideas we considered were as good as Daisy. Well, it turned out the Italian word for daisy is margherita, the name of Italy's most popular pizza and one of the original recipes from Naples. Margherita pizzas have a floppy crust and I ate one in Pompeii. So in an indirect way her name does have a connection to Italy.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
:( Thats to bad....