How do I stop cat scratching his neck wound!

Tornadof5

Hi all

My wife's cat Tom was allergic to his seresta collar and had a hairless slightly raw patch on his neck. Problem is every time a scab starts developing, he scratches it and from picture you can see he has made a right mess. .

Any ideas to physically impede him from scratching? Cone won't work as it sits above wound.

Sent from my LDN-L01 using Tapatalk

Dog Force One

Banned
Hi Tornadof- Sorry this is happening. That patch is scary. Seresto collars are infamous. There are many reports of sickness and death. I would be concerned that cancerous ulcers could be involved in that wound. Has a doctor looked at it?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting.

That picture looks horrible. It is more than slightly raw at this point.

I have read about people clothing cats who won't keep cone collars on. The wound needs to be covered up to prevent infection. I would try a bandana for small dogs.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'd definitely go to the vet before that gets serious infected, plus it has to be very painful for the cat. Maybe the vet can also put one of those elastic self-sticking animal bandages on it in a way to protect it. The bandage comes in rolls, so you would have to replace when needed. Good luck, can't believe that's from a collar! :(

linda2147

the hair around it needs to be shaved down to the skin so no hair gets into the wound. Then rub raw honey into the would. It has to be raw honey, not processed. This will help a lot until you can get him to a vet

Tornadof5

Original Poster
Thanks everyone will take him to the vet coming Monday. He went missing for 2 days arrived home this am found him in the kitchen will making myself coffee. Strange to have just disappeared like that. I told my wife he didn't look well before he disappeared and I thought he may have wandered off to due. Had him at the vet 2 weeks ago to check his condition and couldn't find anything wrong.
Weirdly wife saw worms in his stool and promptly dewormed him. This would also explain his condition having deteriorated.

Yeah wound looks nasty. Currently he has not left pillow photographed on since 6am and it's 20:30. Seems scared to even want to go out

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Tom definitely should not go out anyway - ever, for any reason, even when healthy. Chances are he will disappear again for even a longer period and come back in much worse condition. That is a well-known proven scientific fact.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Thanks everyone will take him to the vet coming Monday. He went missing for 2 days arrived home this am found him in the kitchen will making myself coffee. Strange to have just disappeared like that. I told my wife he didn't look well before he disappeared and I thought he may have wandered off to due. Had him at the vet 2 weeks ago to check his condition and couldn't find anything wrong.
Weirdly wife saw worms in his stool and promptly dewormed him. This would also explain his condition having deteriorated.

Yeah wound looks nasty. Currently he has not left pillow photographed on since 6am and it's 20:30. Seems scared to even want to go out

Yeah, I'd keep him in until he's back to normal and that wound has healed, if he were my cat. Good luck!

Tornadof5

Original Poster
Came up with idea of cutting up one if thrombosis stockings with holes for his legs. Dabbed on honey last night and took old dressing off this am put some gentian violet and new stocking. Helps a little. Let's see how it progresses

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Looks good, poor kitty, hope it heals and doesn't get infected, hoping for the best! :white:

Skittles17

It looks really bad as we all can tell! Im no doctor or anything but you really should go to the vet for that! They may put something like a cream or somethig to help soothe it! If u can try to distract your cat a bit! Play with it! Maybe something super light and soft to tie ofver it like a piece of bed sheeting! I dont know! Good Luck! I hope youre cat gets better! But please contact a vet right away! :)

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
I like it. Hope it stays on really well. Peel back the front end every night to check and see if it's healing.

Tornadof5

Original Poster
Hi all

Thought I'd update you on Tom's neck wound.
It's down to about a 2cm scab and has healed well albeit taken almost 2 months. At end of the day home remedy of gentian violet and initially honey as an antibacterial together with his "scarf" made from thrombosis stocking, did the trick. Biggest challenge I think to healing quicker was to try mitigate the scratching off of the scab everytime progress was made. Stocking def helped and with some duck tape...... [emoji39]

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
So glad to hear that Tom is doing so much better and the wound has healed so well. Thanks for letting us know, kudos to both you and your wife! :coolthumb: