How far can you push a parrots respritory system?

PetLover3000

I was considering getting a pet cockatiel from my local bird rescue, but i ran into a huge problem...

Will my bird cope with the everyday cooking enviornment that my family creates? Oftentimes, when my dad cooks, it makes enough smoke to go all the way upstairs and signal every smoke alarm! I am worried that even if i put the bird farthest from the kitchen, it will still succumb to smoke poisoning.

If possible, i would like to find a solution that is cost effective. In other words, no replacing the whole kitchen, my dad would hate me.
Thank you

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum Pet.

If there is so much smoke the alarm goes off, whatever was cooking will be totally burnt garbage. And I am sure you do not want the kitchen to be smoky. It happened at my house once . . . and it did not have a smoke alarm in the kitchen. It is bad for human respiratory systems, not just birds.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Welcome to the forum Pet.

If there is so much smoke the alarm goes off, whatever was cooking will be totally burnt garbage. And I am sure you do not want the kitchen to be smoky. It happened at my house once . . . and it did not have a smoke alarm in the kitchen. It is bad for human respiratory systems, not just birds.
I don’t know about that. Just singeing a steak real quick will set off our smoke alarms (not burning, singeing, which is just dropping it in a hot pan to get a good crispy coating leaving the inside tender).

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Is it possible for your dad to have an outdoor stove on the back porch and bring the steak inside?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I've always understood that birds are very sensitive to irritants in the air, like smoke or cooking with teflon fry pans. If the smoke is setting off alarms in far away rooms, I would not advise having a bird in the house. Their respiratory systems are very tiny, it could be fatal for the bird.

PetLover3000

Original Poster
Is there a way for me to keep the bird outside or in my garage? I could buy or build an aviary

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Is there a way for me to keep the bird outside or in my garage? I could buy or build an aviary
What state do you live in? Unless it's a very warm tropical climate, the bird won't survive outside. A garage is no good either, they can't have drafts or a cold, dank area like a garage.

Honestly, that would be punishment and abuse for the poor bird, think about it.....no light, no big windows to see outdoors, so social interactions with people in the house. Also, if a car ever went into the garage, the bird would die from carbon monoxide fumes very quickly. I don't think getting the bird is a good idea until you're living on your own in a more bird friendly safe environment.

PetLover3000

Original Poster
I guess your right, maybe I'll have to wait until I'm a little older