Phoenix at three years, she turned 3 last Tuesday

Doesn't look like the same dog

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Awww....cute little puppy turned into a beautiful dog! :coolthumb:

haopee

BACON of Light
She's pretty, linda.

Yes, they do turn out differently when they grow old. Bigger dogs look more sturdy, tough and reliable. Smaller dogs tend to become more... hahaha... serious. I swear, I'm not saying little dogs are ugly. What they lack in physical beauty, they make up with feisty personalities.

Big dogs are much more patient. I can't wait for my other pack members to grow older. They're a year older now. They're still hyperactive and have done some significant damage on the cars.

How was growing Phoenix like? Any damaged bumpers? Furniture?

linda2147

Original Poster
Phoenix was a very easy puppy, she was smart, had her houseborken in three weeks, she was hard on toys, destroyed them practically as soon as she got them until I gave her an antler, she still loves her antlers and she has her "fierceness" rope. I just say "be fierce" and she runs for her rope growling and acting aggressive, then she drops it in my lap and we play with it. Sometimes she gets carried away and grabs my sleeve and once she bit my finger when her teeth got to close to the knot in the rope. I started taking her for runs in the woods when she was little and we still go every day. Her favorite time of the day is her run in the woods. She's a really good girl but very protective of me and I do not trust her with strangers. But no one is perfect and that may not be such a bad thing. I had her in the woods one day and some strange man jumped out at me, she was off a little way playing but as soon as she saw him she came running, had I not grabbed her she would have bitten him. I did report the incident to the police and turns out they had been looking for this man as he had approached several other people. I haven't seen him since so I don't know what happened with him. But safe to say no one bothers me with her around.

haopee

BACON of Light
Phoenix was a very easy puppy, she was smart, had her houseborken in three weeks, she was hard on toys, destroyed them practically as soon as she got them until I gave her an antler, she still loves her antlers and she has her "fierceness" rope. I just say "be fierce" and she runs for her rope growling and acting aggressive, then she drops it in my lap and we play with it. Sometimes she gets carried away and grabs my sleeve and once she bit my finger when her teeth got to close to the knot in the rope. I started taking her for runs in the woods when she was little and we still go every day. Her favorite time of the day is her run in the woods. She's a really good girl but very protective of me and I do not trust her with strangers. But no one is perfect and that may not be such a bad thing. I had her in the woods one day and some strange man jumped out at me, she was off a little way playing but as soon as she saw him she came running, had I not grabbed her she would have bitten him. I did report the incident to the police and turns out they had been looking for this man as he had approached several other people. I haven't seen him since so I don't know what happened with him. But safe to say no one bothers me with her around.
Hey Linda. Have you ever taken care of small dogs before? I've noticed bigger dogs being more disciplined than smaller ones... or maybe that's because I've always had friends with dogs who they are knowledgeable in training. My big pups are just too rambunctious. They're older, but I can't help call them pups because they'll ram me like I was one of them. LOL. So much for establishing respect.

It's a good thing your girl was there to protect you. Does that mean you don't allow strangers to pet her?

liamajhons

your pets look great. as he looks more naughty in his earlier days and more discipline and norms in this age. Best wished for you dog..

linda2147

Original Poster
I've never had small dogs, always had shepherds. Even as a young pup she was standoffish with people, most pups will run up to anyone but she didn't, she stayed right by me and I never encourage strange people to pet her, she may or may not be ok with them. She won't just run up to someone and bite them or chase anyone, she just watches and as long as they don't try to approach me she is fine. She just doesn't want anyone coming near me. My daughter came over yesterday, she loves her, she even went for a run with her but when they came back in the dog was laying by my feet and when my daughter came up to me and just playfully grabbed my arm Phoenix got up and came between us. I have a huge outside kennel for her that she loves to be in on nice days and when I have people over I put her in the kennel because I don't trust her. I put her in the kennel before my visitors come in the house. She comes from working lines and she can't help what she is, she is just doing what she was bred to do.