How to move with fish

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
So, thought I’d make a thread about moving with fish. recently moved over to the next state with my fish. 8-9 hour drive. I’m going to share a little on how I did it and what I do and do not recommend.

This first method is if you are going to be moving far away. Perhaps an all day or couple day drive.

First I guess we’ll talk about prep. Leading up to moving, your going to want to slowly start removing decor and doing lots of deep cleaning on the tank so it will be easier to “break down”

Try and simplify tank setup as much as possible (try and only have one filter going, no decor, little-no substrate and keep everything super clean).

You will also want heat or cold packs (depending on the fish and the weather), fish bags, insulated boxes (you can use a cooler case or just fedex insulated styrofoam shipping boxes), some stress coat, seachem prime and almond leaves.

What you’re going to do on the day of is beginning draining your tank. While the tank is draining, bag up all your fish with half tank water and half fresh dechlorinated water. To each bag, add a drop of stress coat and a drop of prime and a little piece of almond leaf. Fill the rest of the bag with oxygen if you can, or just tie off the top trapping as much air inside as possible. Do NOT blow into the bag, that is mostly carbon dioxides.

You want the bag to be mostly air and just enough water to cover the fish completely. Fish are actually more likely to run out of oxygen in travels than die of bag pollution, so extra air in the bag makes a big difference.

when packing fish, it’s not the rubber band that keeps it air and water tight, but the twisting. Twist the bag as much as you can before securing it with a rubber band. You can also watch YouTube tutorial videos on how to pack fish effectively.

Now that you are done packing them up, add fish to the insulated box and close it and pack it up. If you are using a heat or cold pack, rap it in paper towels or newspaper so the heat is more even and doesn’t burn the fish bag touching it.

Fish can usually survive like this for over 48 hours.

Bag up your filter media and plants the same way as the fish (minus the stress coat and almond leaves) to preserve your healthy bacteria and plant life.

Finish draining the tank and pack it in the back of your moving truck. When you reach your destination, unpack the tank, set it up with your filter, heater, media and plants, fill with dechlorinated water (I recommend using lots of prime and stress coat). Unpack your fish and acclimated them into the tank as if they were new fish that got shipped to you overnight.

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
The next method I’m going to share works better for shorter distance moving (like just moving across town or something).

For this method, simply fill up a couple buckets with tank water and add prime and some air stones powered by battery powered air pumps. Put the fish in the buckets and secure a lid on the bucket(s). And place them on the floor of the front seat. Drain the tank (leaving decor and plants in place) and slide it into your back seat. Drive to destination and fill up the tank. Acclimate your fish in and ta-da.

This method works better for short distance moving because one, your plants are not in water and can wilt if left like that to long (if you’ve got live plants), the buckets are not insulated, so fish temperature wings could occur during long distance travel. And I imaging you don’t want to drive anything more then 2 hours with a tank full of plants in the back seat and buckets of water on the floor.

Last edited: