How to rehome a very large protective dog.

lindaluz

I have an Armenian Gampre who will be 2 in December. He weighs approximately 100 pounds. We will be moving in a few months and cannot take him with us. He is not neutered because we were hoping to breed in the future. He is very protective, does not like strangers at all. He loves attention from the family. His breed is very strong and not suitable for a family with children. He doesn’t know his own strength and can accidentally hurt you when he’s excited. I am scared to give him to the wrong person. I need to know the new owner can physically handle him. I haven’t taken him to the vet in a long while because I am afraid he may injure another person or animal and he’s managed to tear apart the strongest of muzzles. He is a natural hunter, not very active as they like to watch and stay on guard. My question is how do I safely find him a new home for my dog. Any advice will help.

linda2147

you have to be responsible in choosing a new home for him. The new owner must be told of his aagression and sign a paper releasing you from liability if he bites someone If you are not released from liability then you can still be liable for any bites or anything he does that could cause a lawsuit against you. The new owners must be fully aware of what they are getting into and agree to sign an agreementstating so and release you from all liability on anything he may do check out the new potential owner carefully and be absolutely sure he is not going to a dog fighting ring or some other bad situation and have him neutered so he doesn't wind up as a puppy mill dog used for stud be very careful what you do with this dog

lindaluz

Original Poster
you have to be responsible in choosing a new home for him. The new owner must be told of his aagression and sign a paper releasing you from liability if he bites someone If you are not released from liability then you can still be liable for any bites or anything he does that could cause a lawsuit against you. The new owners must be fully aware of what they are getting into and agree to sign an agreementstating so and release you from all liability on anything he may do check out the new potential owner carefully and be absolutely sure he is not going to a dog fighting ring or some other bad situation and have him neutered so he doesn't wind up as a puppy mill dog used for stud be very careful what you do with this dog
Thank you so much for this information! It is very helpful as i was wandering about liability after he leaves with new owner.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Welcome @lindaluz. I agree with Linda's advice. I had to look up the breed, I wasn't familiar. The person you give the dog to must know that he can be dangerous around other animals, including livestock in a farm or ranch situation. Very unfortunate that he was never neutered, but you can't do anything about that now.

It's disturbing that you haven't been able to train and control him enough to walk on a leash and not need a muzzle or visit the vet. The new owner will need to know everything about this breed, mismanagement of such a powerful dominant dog can be fatal if things get out of control.

The new owner must be experienced in training and owning these types of dogs. Please be sure there are no surprises for them, and have them read about the breed first.

Small children or other pets will likely be threatened or seriously harmed. Good luck, perhaps you can find someone who already has owned this breed.
https://www.dogbreedinfo.com/a/armeniangampr.htm

lindaluz

Original Poster
Thank you, I appreciate your thoughts and advice. I did irresponsibly make the choice of bringing this adorably beautiful giant fluff ball puppy home and thought my teenage boys would keep up with him but unfortunately for my dog, it didn’t work out that way. He has gone to a vet and dog park and had play dates with other dogs. But he grew to be so strong so fast and when he sees strangers come he gets very protective which is why I am scared to take him out in public because I am afraid he might attack if he feels provoked. And it would literally be impossible to hold him back. He’s broken every heavy duty wired leash and we eventually had to go to hardware store to get a thick chain which he has also pulled out of the 2x4 stud. I should have invested into having him trained. But I will definitely let a new owner come and have visits until the dog gets comfortable. I am just not sure if offering him on Craigslist is a good idea because I don’t want my dog in the wrong hands. I’m struggling with resources on how to find him an owner that will love him as he deserves.

linda2147

Not a good idea to advertise him on craig's list remember the case of puppy doe the bit that was sold on craig's list then tortured and abused People will tell you what you want to hear and though not all people are bad there are enough of them out there to be leary of them. They have all kinds of stories and promises but once they get the dog who knows what they do to them. Before I'd let him go to some situation that I don't know his outcome I'd have him put down. I know its not what you want to hear but think of the dog's future

linda2147

another thing to consider before giving or selling the dog is no matter how good a home you think the dog is going to there is no guarantee that this person will keep the dog as there is nothing stopping them from either rehoming it or selling it to God knows what kind of people and what's going to ultimately happen to him. Just something to think about.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I agree, please do not use Craigslist.