I dont know whats happening to these turtles?

Spookychubs

I work at a pet shop and we had one turtle with a scute that just completely came off, down to the bone. We've been doing water changes just about every day and putting melafix in the water (they also have this slime on their skin and their feet get beat up all the time). Every so often we dry them out after scrubbing their shells. If anyone can please explain what is happening and how to help it?

Attachments

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
I work at a pet shop and we had one turtle with a scute that just completely came off, down to the bone. We've been doing water changes just about every day and putting melafix in the water (they also have this slime on their skin and their feet get beat up all the time). Every so often we dry them out after scrubbing their shells. If anyone can please explain what is happening and how to help it?
What are the water perimeters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc)? Do they have UVB lighting? Is there adequate space for them to climb out of the water and bask on?

Spookychubs

Original Poster
Honestly I'm not sure on the water parameters. I dont think we have bothered to test it since we're doing 100% water changes just about every day. They do have USB lighting that was just replaced maybe a month or two ago and they have 2 large so med floating docks that get them fully out of the water, even if multiple turtles climb up.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
100% water changes are not good. The drastic ph and nitrate swings can be harmful. You’re probably better off doing 50% every day. Make sure the water is temperature matched. Should test the water. You can also try adding some Indian almond leaves. I’m not sure their effect on turtles, but they are anti bacteria and anti fungal and the tannins relieve stress. They will probably help.

Another possibility is the tank being overcrowded, that might do it.

My knowledge doesn’t go super far with turtles. Most of my knowledge is with fish, but for anything that lives in water, a lot of the same principles apply.

Spookychubs

Original Poster
100% water changes are not good. The drastic ph and nitrate swings can be harmful. You’re probably better off doing 50% every day. Make sure the water is temperature matched. Should test the water. You can also try adding some Indian almond leaves. I’m not sure their effect on turtles, but they are anti bacteria and anti fungal and the tannins relieve stress. They will probably help.

Another possibility is the tank being overcrowded, that might do it.

My knowledge doesn’t go super far with turtles. Most of my knowledge is with fish, but for anything that lives in water, a lot of the same principles apply.
It is possible that the tank is over crowded, but I'm not sure how that affects their shells. Will find out parameters and let you know

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
It is possible that the tank is over crowded, but I'm not sure how that affects their shells. Will find out parameters and let you know
If it’s overcrowded, then the water conditions would be worse, they could be rubbing on each others shells. Over all, being overcrowded is a less healthy environment, and the less healthy the environmental, the easier it is for things to go wrong, but with good care, it could be fine (especially if the crowding is only temporary).

Spookychubs

Original Poster
What are the water perimeters (Ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, etc)? Do they have UVB lighting? Is there adequate space for them to climb out of the water and bask on?
We tested the water. No ammonia, no nitrates, ph is 6.8. There's only the smallest amount of nitrites.

Spookychubs

Original Poster
If it’s overcrowded, then the water conditions would be worse, they could be rubbing on each others shells. Over all, being overcrowded is a less healthy environment, and the less healthy the environmental, the easier it is for things to go wrong, but with good care, it could be fine (especially if the crowding is only temporary).
They do crawl on each other every so often, but they'll do that even if it's just 2 turtles. I would kinda love to find out that they're scratching each other's shells, because then I would at least know that the scute can shed properly. So far, we are helping them shed their scute because otherwise they dont come off and they get water trapped underneath, which is no good