I have a concern about my dogs prescription medication.

Russell613

Took our two mixed breed dogs, one male and one female, to the vet today for the annual checkup and pick up heart worm and flea and tick prescription medication, about $500 worth for a year's supply. A couple of days later after we got back home we going to start giving it to them, when we were getting it out of the box and started to open it we noticed that it was out of date (Credelio) and that the date on the box was blacked out a a new date written in. We were really concerned about it and went back to the vets office for an explanation, and were also concerned about the fact it could cause seizures with its use. We were told they do not give us a refund as it is not their policy, can anyone tell me if this is every vets policy? We are located in Pensacola Florida, are retired and have been using this veterinarian for years.

linda2147

personally I wouldn't use outdated meds but it probably won't hurt depending on how long its out of date. I've been using petshed.com for my generic flea and heartworm meds. Much cheaper and I've been using the generic for years and never had a problem with it.

Russell613

Original Poster
Hello, thanks for the reply, the original expire date was 1/20, they gave us a card from the Elanco company that said new testing said it extended the date because they found out it lasted longer than previously stated. Our two little ones are only seven pounds each, that is where our concern is about the seizures.

linda2147

I still would tell the vet if I'm paying full price I want new meds, not expired.

Russell613

Original Poster
They would not exchange them and insisted they were good and they do not accept returns nor give refunds, they did tell us someone from upper management would be in contact with us but we have heard from them yet. We have been dealing with this office for years with all of our past pets but think we are going to look for a different veterinarian.

mechi2

The only danger from expired meds is that they become less effective. Regardless of what kind of excuse your vet gives, you should insist on a refund. Tell him you didn't pay to get expired medication and you can file a consumer complaint if he doesn't refund your money.

justdon

If you can't trust them for giving non expired meds i would not use them any more and get another vet plus make a complaint about them.

BarryM05

You should definitely not feed your dogs expired meds. They are legally bound to change them. I would suggest either changing the vet or buying the meds from reliable sources like Petcarerx or Chewy online.