I need help with my tortoise..... still.

Nolanv464end

Hello, my red foot tortoise Elenor has been in my care for about 2 months now and she will not eat unless I put her by the food and she will not walk around. her encloser is not the best I am still working on that it is around 93 in her basking I don't really know the humidity I just use the humidity in my room because i have like 5 other tanks with water in them so I don't have to worry about humidity( unless I should) she is going to be moved to a 55-gallon tank for the summer because my snapping turtles will be outside then. so once she is in there I can fine-tune everything. I just want to know if she is like dying, sick, or just hibernating can anyone help.

Nolanv464end

Original Poster
so is there literally no one out there that can help or at least point me In the right direction about this or..... am I just wasting time???

PhoenixKoi

Sorry that no one has replied to you yet but im here to help as a fellow tortoise owner. About the not eating part, I know that some tortoises like my own are petty and he will only eat his greens if I hand feed them. I would recomend getting a larger tank than 55 gallons because red foot tortoises can get up to 1 foot long so you may want to consider getting her an outside enclosure if you live in a warm place or getting her a tortoise table. A tortoise table is a wooden box for you tortoise that is usually put on a stand though you may want to keep her on the ground. If you have a closet or a unused room you could put her table there. There are plenty of care guides and tank setup ideas out on the internet so you can go check some of those out. You had mentioned that she wont move or hardly moves and i may have a solution. Make sure your whole enclosure is heated, not just the basking spot. Reptiles cant move very much when they arnt warm so i would recomend checking on the temp throughout the tank. A behavior you may be experiencing is you put her by the heat lamp and she eats and hides and doesnt come back out unless you move her and i have experienced this. She may also be brumating/hibernating since you seem to have gotten her in the winter. In brumation tortoises wont move as much and will only come out when its warm enough to get food otherwise they will hide. The humitity should be fine though keep in mind red foot tortoises like a higher humitity than other speicies like my hermanns who like a more medium to low your may like medium to high or tropical. Thats all i have for you right now though it may help if you post a picture of her and her enclosure. Hope this helps!

Nolanv464end

Original Poster
oh no she not In a 55 gallon yet she has a tub that she sleeps in other than that I keep her walking around my room. Thats what I thought was happing thank you for the help