I think my cat swallowed a piece of yarn two nights ago

Junipermittens

Hi there.

Juniper (my cat) was playing with a piece of yarn two nights ago while I was doing homework at my desk. For a while, she had a clump of yarn that she would play with, and she likes to gnaw pieces in half. (I only just found out that they should be closely supervised with yarn/string etc.)

She was playing with a piece she had gnawed off, and she started to chew on it. The next time I looked over, the piece was definitely shorter than it had been before. It's possible that she gnawed it in half and I haven't found the other piece. But I still kept a close eye on her stool and behavior.

It's been 36 hours and she has passed three stools. The first and third stool were completely normal, as is her urine, but the second stool was mushier than usual and definitely had some fibers in it, but no yarn. I did just start giving her wet food again after having run out for a few days (I give her an ounce of wet food and 3/4 cup of dry food per day, but when I ran out I just gave her a full cup of dry per day), so maybe that's why it was mushy?

She is eating and drinking normally, and there is no odd behavior. She is 1 year old, and I would assume, if she did eat the yarn, it was maybe 2 or 3 inches long.

Since it's Saturday, I can't call the vet to ask what I should do. Should I take her to an emergency vet? Should I wait until monday and then call them? Please let me know.

mechi2

I don't think you have anything to worry about but keep a close eye on her over the next few days, if she is acting normal, eating, pooping etc. she should be fine. When my chihuahua swallowed a pearl it was around 3 days before she pooped it out. I don't know if you would be able to spot the yarn in the poop