I went to a farm!

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Today I went to a farm! It was fun and cool! It was mostly a cow farm with about 25 of cows but they also had two ducks, about 12 chickens, and a cute little collie, like a sheep dog but there was no sheep, so I call him a cow dog.:friendly_wink: I even fed some hay to a cow! Have you ever gone to a farm?? It is FUN!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you!

linda2147

I grew up on a dairy farm, we had over a hundred milking cows. several horses, sometimes a pig, duck and of course cats and dogs

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Yetidog, were they all cows or do you mean cattle? Only the females are cows.

Farmers don't need sheep to have sheepdogs. But it is nice to have a sheepdog for those who do have sheep.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I grew up on a dairy farm, we had over a hundred milking cows. several horses, sometimes a pig, duck and of course cats and dogs
That's where you get all your experience in caring for animals. :cool:

Cat001

I’ve been to a few farms, know some that own farms and also there was a farm at my uni with cows, sheep, donkeys, chickens, goats, horses etc, and an animal unit with various fish, reptiles, rodents, birds, even cats roaming the premises. Also a dog unit. We could volunteer to care for the animals as well as had lessons there and help out during lambing season.

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
Yetidog, were they all cows or do you mean cattle? Only the females are cows.

Farmers don't need sheep to have sheepdogs. But it is nice to have a sheepdog for those who do have sheep.
They were mostly female but there were male calves. The bulls were out back and we did not see them.

Dog Force One

Sometimes the farm will come to you. Years ago in my old place this beautiful, gentle fellow was left in my grassy yard for a while to graze.

Another time at the same house I was sitting inside and heard some very loud ruckus outside the front door. I opened the door and saw the biggest pig I have ever seen in my life. Having just drunk from the water bowl of Rolo, my first dog, it decided to take a bath in the same bowl. Headstrong Rolo wasn't one to suffer unexpected guests, but I never again saw her so taken aback and overwhelmed as she was by this school bus size pig. Rolo herself was 18 kg (40 lbs).

I think it was the first creature in Rolo's life that she was unable to intimidate. Still she tried, by barking loudly and threatening the pig. It was a very funny scene to watch, if only because the huge, noisy pig seemed surreal, like something from a monster movie.

After the pig finally decided to go elsewhere, I heard from the neighbors that she was in heat and had broken out of wherever she lived.

Last edited:

Cat001

What are you calling a unit Cat?
A specially constructed facility divided into areas housing different animals (room full of fish, including piranhas, another room for reptiles including snakes, Geckos, tortoises, and bearded dragons, room for rodents such as rats, mice, degu’s and gerbils, guinea pig room and cat room). The number of species was a lot more extensive then I mentioned but can’t remember all of them off hand. There was also an aviary, ferrets and rabbits were on the unit as well. I might have pictures somewhere. On the unit we were required to wear overalls and footwear specific for the building. We also had to step into a disinfectant and maintain high levels of hygiene. Also the dog kennels were next to the animal unit.

Last edited:

linda2147

Why is that Linda? Are htey enemies?
They are not enemies the only problem is one sheep with a lamb will eat five times as much as one cow with a calf so you would need five times as much grazing land for the sheep. But if you have enough room you can integrate the two and the large cows are some protection from predators like coyotes for the sheep

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Neat stories and photos DogForce, thanks for the smile! :cool2:

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Original Poster
I found some pictures of the animals at that farm....finally! :friendly_wink:

Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 6.35.12 PM.jpg
Calf
Screen Shot 2019-02-17 at 6.35.02 PM.jpg
Chickens