In search of a puppy

Joeporker

So I looking to add more pet into my lovely home guys any recommendations on a breed I haven't had before?

linda2147

I'm a shepherd person so I would say go with a german shepherd Just remember puppies are relentless with the older dogs so make sure they can handle a puppy. Older dogs don't always adjust to an overactive puppy aroundm

Joeporker

Original Poster
Thanks for the advice I appreciate, so any recommendations on where to get one?
I'm a shepherd person so I would say go with a german shepherd Just remember puppies are relentless with the older dogs so make sure they can handle a puppy. Older dogs don't always adjust to an overactive puppy aroundm

linda2147

shelters are bursting with dogs that need home. You should probably start there, the other option is a breeder. stay away from pet shops and back yard breeders . pet shops get theirr pupss from puppy mills so don't go there and encourage more encouraging them to breed. also stay away from free ads nothing is really free and you have no way of knowing anything they say is true.

if you go to a shepherd breeder make sure you see verification of genetic testing done on the parents. bad breeding can make a problem dog or one with some genetic problems.

Joeporker

Original Poster
shelters are bursting with dogs that need home. You should probably start there, the other option is a breeder. stay away from pet shops and back yard breeders . pet shops get theirr pupss from puppy mills so don't go there and encourage more encouraging them to breed. also stay away from free ads nothing is really free and you have no way of knowing anything they say is true.

if you go to a shepherd breeder make sure you see verification of genetic testing done on the parents. bad breeding can make a problem dog or one with some genetic problems.
Thanks for all your advice I appreciate

linda2147

one more thing, watch the dog run, if his back legs are kind of together and it more like a hop than a smooth gait the dog will have hip problems. and little dogs beware of the knees, make sure the knees don't slide in and out away from the knee cap

Joeporker

Original Poster
one more thing, watch the dog run, if his back legs are kind of together and it more like a hop than a smooth gait the dog will have hip problems. and little dogs beware of the knees, make sure the knees don't slide in and out away from the knee cap
Wow am amazed you know so much about pets, thanks again

linda2147

If you get a puppy your vet will advise to spay or neuter at six months old.. I am advising you against it. And remember males want to please you females want you to pleas them. wait untl the dog is fully mature both physically and mentally before spaying or neuter and an intact male is healthier than a neutered one

Last edited: