in september 2013, I want to adopt

mariexotoni

A little kitten for my boyfriends birthday for our apartment- not for 2012, but for 2013. I want him to be surprised in the morning when he wakes up. Let him eat some yummy breakfast in bed and bring in a little kitty as he's finishing up.

When should I go into adopt the kitten from the humane society (does it take more than a day?)?
How long does the process take?
What things should I have hidden in the house or my car for the kitty? (kitty litter box, food, few toys)

Any tips and information to help this day go smoothly. Want to have this all planned out and saved up for and stuff

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Firstly, not wanting to rain on your parade, but I want to point out the realistic fact that many people who receive pets for presents or gifts, do not really want them, and in the end, the pet suffers and is sometimes rehomed. :( If your boyfriend is not a serious cat lover, who has had cats, reacts emotionally to cats, or has a sincere interest in felines, then I would start to think of another 'gift'. If it's you that wants a kitten, then just get one...don't make it a gift for your boyfriend.

Now that that's off my chest :), I'll give my response to your other questions. You should contact your local humane society to see what rules they have in place. Then, at least a week before his birthday, I would start spending time with kittens who need to be adopted to see what is available locally.

Things that are absolutely needed for the kitten are a scratching post, a litter box and litter, a cat bed, a quality kitten food, hair brush, nail clipper and toys such as busy balls, mice, feather wands, etc.

jakeyman

That is so true and there are so many cats and dogs in cages already because their owners have left them. But also, getting a cat is quite a big thing! I mean those things can live till like 18 years old? My last cats did any way!

What I am saying is, you should talk to him first and see if he wants one, but he should be able to pick what cats he wants as well it should be a joint decision. I know you think he will love it, but really he would of probably wouldn't to decide which cat to get as well if at all!

Firstly, not wanting to rain on your parade, but I want to point out the realistic fact that many people who receive pets for presents or gifts, do not really want them, and in the end, the pet suffers and is sometimes rehomed. :( If your boyfriend is not a serious cat lover, who has had cats, reacts emotionally to cats, or has a sincere interest in felines, then I would start to think of another 'gift'. If it's you that wants a kitten, then just get one...don't make it a gift for your boyfriend.

Now that that's off my chest :), I'll give my response to your other questions. You should contact your local humane society to see what rules they have in place. Then, at least a week before his birthday, I would start spending time with kittens who need to be adopted to see what is available locally.

Things that are absolutely needed for the kitten are a scratching post, a litter box and litter, a cat bed, a quality kitten food, hair brush, nail clipper and toys such as busy balls, mice, feather wands, etc.

Kitty

You should definitely talk to him about it first, to make sure he is serious about keeping it. The surprise factor can be the cat itself, you can go pick one out for him. Have you had a cat before? If you haven't, make sure that it is quality kitten food with all the nutrients. Also know that cats shouldn't drink milk. They like it, but it is not good for their health when they are adults. If you want milk, order or buy special kitten formula, don't pour them the milk that we drink.

Alpha1 basically covered everything you need to have in your home, but didn't cove the things you shouldn't. Also, you NEED a safe cat carrier. Kittens are hard work, and need a lot of attention. You will want to make sure all of your electrical appliances are kitty-proof, and that your household is relatively clean. Many types of plants are poisonous to cats, so I would suggest researching a list of those plants and making sure you have none in your home, because kittens love playing with plants. Also, make sure that there are no sharp things lying around. If you don't feel comfortable with the amount of time that needs to be dedicated to take care of a kitten, I would suggest getting a cat that's 6 months - 1 year old, not a 2 month old that takes effort to litter train.

As far as litter training goes, when your kitten in young, everything time it eats, when it is done pick it up and put it in it's litter box, rewarding it when it uses the bathroom with a treat. Speak to a consultant at your local humane society about how long you should feed it kitten food and about litter training. Keep in mind that there is an adoption fee, it depends on the shelter. This adoption fee will probably cover spaying, which you definitely want. I doesn't take more than an couple of hours to physically adopt the cat, if that much at all. It should go smoothly, just have your house ready.

If you want my honest opinion, don't buy the cat the day of the birthday, because it will need a day or two to get used to its surroundings. Prepare ONE room with everything for the kitten. When you bring it home (after spending time with it at the shelter), place the carrier in the room, open the carrier door, and leave. Close the door to the room, and let the kitten be alone. Don't put it in a room with a carpet, because it might have an accident, due to anxiety. DON'T punish it if it does have an accident. About an hour or so later, go back into the room and sit down on the floor, letting the kitten come to you. Once it does, pet it, hold it, whatever you want. Keep it in the one room in the home until it seems adjusted, then, when it seems ready and curious, open the door but don't force it out. The natural curiosity of the kitten will eventually drive it out. You would want to do this in the week before your boyfriend's birthday, so it is confident, happy and calm when the day actually comes. Message me if you have any more questions.

haopee

BACON of Light
Okay, assuming that you have already read the advice of the ones who responded to this thread and are still planning to give your boyfriend a kitty, adoption is definitely the best option.

If you're unsure whether he'd react positively to it or not, why don't you give him a "get a kitty" voucher instead so that he won't be pressured to take care one especially if he's not the feline type?

This said, if you're living in New York, PAWS have wonderful events on Cat Adoption once in a while wherein you can adopt a cat who's fully vaccinated, spayed/neutered and with a clean bill of health.

Drop by this site. It's owner by a PAWS person and he would often feature their adoptable cats. Animal Shelter Volunteer Blog

Goldfinch7

Firstly, not wanting to rain on your parade, but I want to point out the realistic fact that many people who receive pets for presents or gifts, do not really want them, and in the end, the pet suffers and is sometimes rehomed. :(.
Couldn't agree with this more. Much better I think, to make the decision together to make sure you are both on board and happy with the decision. Then you can take your time finding the right kitty for you and your home and lifestyle. That way, you are sure to offer your pet the best forever home possible and avoid possibly having to re-home him/her later on down the line.

If you are thinking of adopting from a rescue, I don't know what procedures are like where you live but it can take a little bit of time as most responsible rescues will perform a home check and insist on at least one visit with the entire household to meet the pet first.