Incontinence in my Lucy

Radarsski

My little Lucy, for the past few months, has been peeing way more than usual. I took her to the vet and she said she has a UTI and gave me antibiotics for a two week run. I'm at 10 days now. She is a 6 yo female Chorkie, spayed and typically active and healthy. In the morning she usually chugs water then hacks and coughs for a minute. Then about 20 minutes later burps up water mixed with a bit of food from the night before. I have started rationing water to her and the night before last, she had only one peeing incident. I think it was because she didn't get into more water here or at my daughter's house which is just over the fence from us. Thursday night she peed 9 times. Makes me wonder where all the water is coming from. She has a big bed that I cover with a puppy pad. I awaken because I hear her cleaning herself after peeing. I take the wet pad out, put a clean one in and not long after, she pees again. I'm frustrated and don't know what to do. I thought maybe it was her diet making her incontinent. Does anyone know of a natural remedy that may help. Any help will be totally appreciated. Thanx, Ron

mechi2

On what basis did the vet diagnose UTI? Don't restrict water, if drinking a lot is not normal for her it could be a sign of an illness. If it doesn't clear up after she's done with the antibiotics you should take her back to the vet and have them run more tests.

Radarsski

Original Poster
They did a urine test to determine the UTI. I am taking her back to the vet Tuesday for a follow up.

Radarsski

Original Poster
I don't know but will have the vet test her. For awhile I have been feeding her steak and chicken meat from Subway. She will not eat dog food of any kind. I am weak and feed her what she wants. I need to get her to eat hard dog food but she won't eat it. Any suggestions? She needs the hard food for dental health also.

linda2147

I feed a raw diet plus mine eats with me. I grind up chicken bone and all s and add ground up organ meat to the mixture then give one fish oil pill and two glucosamine for joints and especially important is a probiotic. and you can give your dog any kind of bone as long as its not cooked. Cooking makes bones brittle but a nice bone for her to chew on will clean her teeth subway meat is not the best for her as there is to much salt in it. As long as she is getting the right supplements feeding her what you eat is not a problem no onions or garlic ever, that is toxic to her system No grapes or raisins either

as far as forcing her to eat dog food, put the food in her dish, leave it down for fifteen minutes or so if she hasn't eaten it pick it up and give her nothing until the next meal. NO treats, NOTHING but water. She may hold out for a day or two but when she gets hungry she will eat, she won't starve herself but as long as she knows you will give in she will never eat her own food.

Last edited:

TTouch

Potentially is could be “spay incontinence” which can appear in female dogs after they have been spayed. ... The cause of incontinence in these patients is most likely related to decreased estrogen levels associated with removing the ovaries during the spay and/or the strength of her urethral sphincter decreases in the years following her surgery. As she gets older, this decrease of strength of the urethral sphincter only worsens. Treatment for spay incontinence in female dogs depends greatly on what's causing it. Urethral sphincter strength can often be improved with medication and hormone replacement for loss of estrogen...... however there could be other reasons so it is often a trial and error approach to see what works best.

In so far as feeding, I feed raw/bone and there are plenty of information online about raw fed dogs nutritional needs...so feeding kibble would never be my choice, although I would also not be buying 'subway' meats.... make your butcher your friend, get her raw meaty bones weekly free and very good for keeping teeth clean, reducing any anxiety and using any excess energy. I purchase Ox heart, liver. kidney, tripe weekly from my local butcher ( depends on what he has) and I have a local chicken farm where I get chicken carcasses ( free) and/or purchase whole chickens or portions bone in which they have however you can purchase, multi packs of chicken wings/legs/thighs when you do your own shopping, they also get fresh raw fish once a week ( I always freeze it first they thaw to kill and parasites) or canned fish like sardines in oil or tomato is a good alternative and provides the Omega vits. If you wish to feed cooked chicken then lightly poach them remove all cooked chicken bones as cooked chicken bone splinter where as raw chicken bones don't, and organ meat can be chopped up and dry baked in the oven....... jacket potato, sweet potato, cooked veg like cauli,carrots or left over potatoes and veg from your meals. My dogs help themselves to strawberries, raspberries and blackberries from the garden and hedgerow which is Vit C which helps their body absorb calcium

Radarsski

Original Poster
I feed a raw diet plus mine eats with me. I grind up chicken bones and all and you can give your dog any kind of bone as long as its not cooked. Cooking makes bones brittle but a nice bone for her to chew on will clean her teeth subway meat is not the best for her as there is to much salt in it. As long as she is getting the right supplements feeding her what you eat is not a problem no onions or garlic ever, that is toxic to her system
Thank you so much. What do you use for supplements?
Potentially is could be “spay incontinence” which can appear in female dogs after they have been spayed. ... The cause of incontinence in these patients is most likely related to decreased estrogen levels associated with removing the ovaries during the spay and/or the strength of her urethral sphincter decreases in the years following her surgery. As she gets older, this decrease of strength of the urethral sphincter only worsens. Treatment for spay incontinence in female dogs depends greatly on what's causing it. Urethral sphincter strength can often be improved with medication and hormone replacement for loss of estrogen...... however there could be other reasons so it is often a trial and error approach to see what works best.

In so far as feeding, I feed raw/bone and there are plenty of information online about raw fed dogs nutritional needs...so feeding kibble would never be my choice, although I would also not be buying 'subway' meats.... make your butcher your friend, get her raw meaty bones weekly free and very good for keeping teeth clean, reducing any anxiety and using any excess energy. I purchase Ox heart, liver. kidney, tripe weekly from my local butcher ( depends on what he has) and I have a local chicken farm where I get chicken carcasses ( free) and/or purchase whole chickens or portions bone in which they have however you can purchase, multi packs of chicken wings/legs/thighs when you do your own shopping, they also get fresh raw fish once a week ( I always freeze it first they thaw to kill and parasites) or canned fish like sardines in oil or tomato is a good alternative and provides the Omega vits. If you wish to feed cooked chicken then lightly poach them remove all cooked chicken bones as cooked chicken bone splinter where as raw chicken bones don't, and organ meat can be chopped up and dry baked in the oven....... jacket potato, sweet potato, cooked veg like cauli,carrots or left over potatoes and veg from your meals. My dogs help themselves to strawberries, raspberries and blackberries from the garden and hedgerow which is Vit C which helps their body absorb calcium
Thank you so very much. I have fed her boiled chicken breasts and thighs. She is a picky eater and most times I have to tell her I am going to let Bella, my daughter's dog, eat it then she gobbles it up. I'm sure that there is way to much salt in the Subway meat and that is no good for her. Can I use a vitamin supplement paste as I've seen, to get her the vitamins she needs? I worry about her. She seems healthy and energetic but the constant peeing has me concerned. Ron 20211120_172829.jpg

linda2147

the supplements I use are 1 probiotic 2 glucosamine that goes by weight, probably one one for your small dog, one fish oil 1/4 cup honest kitchen mixed with equal amount of warm water, let sit until it thickens then mix with food, that is all the fruits and veggies they need and 1 tablespoon of missing link for skin and coat, that is all the vitamins and minerals they may be missing in their diet.

keep an eye on the poop, if they don't get enough bone in the poop will be soft or runny, if its to hard cut back on the bone. It should look like a tootsie roll You can regulate it with powdered bone meal if you use the bone meal make sure its for pets, the one for plants is toxic

TTouch

You could purchase 'Brewers Yeast tablets' from any health food shop , chemist or supermarket they have all the vitamins, minerals and trace elements any dog needs, a couple a day and they love them, so eat them like treats

Radarsski

Original Poster
the supplements I use are 1 probiotic 2 glucosamine that goes by weight, probably one one for your small dog, one fish oil 1/4 cup honest kitchen mixed with equal amount of warm water, let sit until it thickens then mix with food, that is all the fruits and veggies they need and 1 tablespoon of missing link for skin and coat, that is all the vitamins and minerals they may be missing in their diet.

keep an eye on the poop, if they don't get enough bone in the poop will be soft or runny, if its to hard cut back on the bone. It should look like a tootsie roll You can regulate it with powdered bone meal if you use the bone meal make sure its for pets, the one for plants is toxic
Ok thanx