Indoor/Yard Cat Bathroom Outside

Jbry562

Hello, I have an elderly cat about 11 years old. She has always been and indoor cat that we let into the backyard at her lesiure (excluding nights or if no one is home). Usually around the summer time she starts using the yard more for her litter box. There is even one particular mound of dirt that I see her frequenting to use the restroom.

There have been two changes that seem a bit peculiar however. One is that in the morning she now cries to be let out into the yard so she can use the restroom.. the other is the activity of animals around the house... I can't seem to keep the possums and racoons away at night, my backyard seems to be right through a major highway of theirs as they are always scaling my fences on their way through.

My question is two part.

1) i understand changes in toilet behavior can be related to health or the litter. Any recommendations for determining if your cat does not like the type of litter or where the box is located?

2) may the cat be wanting to use the restroom outside more to try and mark it's territory?

TTouch

1) Often cats do not like the litter tray is a high foot traffic area or near to a drafty doorway, they want it in a quiet area, if you have not changed the litter you use it is unlikely it is the litter itself as their 'normal' response would be to pee outside the litter tray... but that also indicates a UTI or potental arthritus ( pain ) as in it causes pain to pee and they associate pain with peeing or getting in and out of the tray causes pain again they associate the tray as giving them the pain

2) Yes... and marking is anxiety based which is more likely the cat would choose to use the littet tray inside or mark around the house...so work considering if your cat has a health issue like UTI/Arthritus too

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Hello, I have an elderly cat about 11 years old. She has always been and indoor cat that we let into the backyard at her lesiure (excluding nights or if no one is home). Usually around the summer time she starts using the yard more for her litter box. There is even one particular mound of dirt that I see her frequenting to use the restroom.

There have been two changes that seem a bit peculiar however. One is that in the morning she now cries to be let out into the yard so she can use the restroom.. the other is the activity of animals around the house... I can't seem to keep the possums and racoons away at night, my backyard seems to be right through a major highway of theirs as they are always scaling my fences on their way through.

My question is two part.

1) i understand changes in toilet behavior can be related to health or the litter. Any recommendations for determining if your cat does not like the type of litter or where the box is located?

2) may the cat be wanting to use the restroom outside more to try and mark it's territory?
Is she spayed? If she is eleven years old and is spayed, she should have no interest in suddenly marking territory outside.

Where is your indoor litter box located? Is it in the same spot it's always been? If there is sudden outdoor traffic from wild animals, and her litter box is near a window, especially one that is open sometimes, she may no longer feel comfortable relieving herself there. If that's the case, it should be moved to a quiet spot more inside the house, away from outside smells and noises.

She shouldn't suddenly be crying and demanding to go out, if there's a clean litter box for her in a safe and quiet place. TTouch gave some good advice. Perhaps the sides of her litter box are now too high for her in her senior years. Also, it may be health related. If she were my cat, I would definitely take her to see the doctor to be sure there's no medical issues affecting her elimination habits.

Please let us know if you find out anything, and how she's coming along. Good luck.