Introducing Small Dog to Cats HELP!!!

davdgreat

Hello,
My girlfriend and I have moved in together, and I have 2 cats (age 9, brothers, Jack and Ev) and she has a small dog(Mia). We started introducing them face to face a bit but there was a bit of a blow out where my cat (Jack) attacked Mia and gave her a few scratches. This was a very negative experience, and we'd really like to have them integrated in our place together. Juts some insight too, Jack has a tendency to attack his brother Ev, playing like, but when he attacked Mia he would not stop and got the back claws involved, so Jack is a little more aggressive while Ev is laid back and stays away. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to introduce the animals in peace to make it work? Thanks in advance!

linda2147

Make sure the cats have a place to get away from the dog and keep the dog on a leash when introducing them. A cat tree would be ideal as the cats can watch the dog from high up where the dog can't get to them but still all be able to see each other. And don't be surprised if the male cat starts to spray. Cats don't like change and even if the male is neutered it can still spray.

davdgreat

Original Poster
@linda2147 thanks for the advice. They are almost the same size. I wonder if that has something to do with it where a normal introduction would not apply.

APafDog&CatMom

It's definitely different with little dogs. My previous cat stalked my ex's Pomeranian and obviously thought he would make a tasty snack. My smaller Chi mix is only 6 lbs and I really didn't think it would be safe to bring a cat into the family for the longest time. She adores cats, though, and my larger Chi mix was raised with them and missed them terribly.

Pound for pound, cats are much more dangerous predators than dogs. I wanted to adopt my kitten's mother, who was an abandoned pet, but when I saw how big she was I chickened out.

My kitten is only eleven weeks old and right now everything looks like this wonderful happy family, but I would never leave her unattended with the dogs. She's going to be a big girl and most likely will outweigh both of them as an adult. They love to wrestle and play so I'm working very hard with her on bite inhibition and velvet paws.

Mia is probably at a disadvantage here, but she could still make a great friend and playmate for Jack and Ev. My childhood experience with Shetland Sheepdogs was that they tolerated each other but the cats would have been a lot happier without the dogs.

Congratulations to you both for combining your families.

davdgreat

Original Poster
@APafDog&CatMom - Any advice on introducing them or how to integrate them? Also what is bite inhibition and velvet paws? I'll do some googling but any info is appreciated.

linda2147

kittens get excited and they will bite, usually not hard but your should discourage it. If she bites put her down and give her something she can chew on like a toy mouse. Soft paws is when the claws aren't out. Usually the mom teaches them to retract the claws but not always. If the claws come out "say no nails" and put her on the floor. Then pick her up and repeat as necessary

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
What breed is Mia? Size alone does not determine how dangerous a dog will be; toy breeds are supposed to be better with cats than terriers.

coco

Many cats (I met) are not very friendly to a new dog/cat. They need some time to get used to the scent and sound of the potential friend. But dogs are usually passionate and active, which may put threatens to alert cats and leave a bad impression on their mind. Therefore, the first step I recommend is to separate your cats and dog into two rooms/areas and treat them fairly (such as mealtime and playtime). Until your kitties reduce the alertness and the pup doesn't attempt to make friends with your kitties. Then, you could shorten their distance or let your kitties get close the pup, closer and closer, frequently but shortly.
Find more tips in this post and use treats or other positive reinforcement in training.

Last edited:

davdgreat

Original Poster
@coco Thanks I"ll check out the links and appreciate the advice.