Invisible Fence for Outside Stairs

JackRuf

I am looking to keep my 80lbs Golden Retriever from leaving our front porch via the steps. Can anyone recommend an effective invisible fence for just this purpose?. I only need it for a six foot wide staircase. It is outside, so needs to be weatherproof.

Thanks in Advance

CatMom1994

Invisible fences are inhumane. All dogs know is electric shocks scare them. Go outside with the dog on a leash.

mechi2

Invisible fences are unreliable because once the dog gets used to the zap it won't stop it from passing through. Have you thought about a baby gate?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I'm against invisible fences, period. They won't stop an animal from coming onto your porch and attacking your dog. If I'm not mistaken, if your dog does get off the porch, he will be shocked to try and get back onto it. Keep the dog in the house or put a regular fence around your yard would be my suggestion.

TTouch

I am looking to keep my 80lbs Golden Retriever from leaving our front porch via the steps.
It is called spending the time to train the dog not to leave/cross any line/area.... what you are asking about is an electric shock fence. (lets call it what it is) and although they have a place IN PROFESSION hands only it is not/never a solution.

I have used one ONCE ( in several decades)for a clients mini dog who was getting over their 8' fence several times a day to play in traffic..........and ONLY after re-training the dog and giving the dog another option for fun, however for any dog to learn they need an owner who will practice and they had a lazy, quick fix type of owner who couldn't be bothered...so it was a last resort for me to stop this dog getting killed/maimed and/or causing traffic accidents.... companies should NEVER be allowed or produced for the public to purchase.... So if you haven't trained your dog, then get a outdoor stair gate or have one made.

CatMom1994

I like the baby gate idea for small dogs, but a golden retriever might be able to jump over it.

Is your dog going to be on the porch for a long time? Is your dog escaping from the house from the porch door? What is the need for the fence? I would just take your dog on the leash when he/ she is out there, it is cheaper and easier too :)
Many dogs won't care about the shock too much if it is used to it and is eager after something, even sometimes when the dog stays in, it does not stop anything from coming in such as wild animals or even vehicles. If the power is out then it won't work anymore unlike visible fences and if your dog escapes while trying to catch something (cat, bird, etc.) it might not want to come back in when it calms down, overall I don't recommend invisible fences as they are cruel and more unreliable than the standard ones

mechi2

I can certainly see why he wants to secure the porch. My dog spends a lot of time on it during the summer, she stays put now but in her younger days she would sometimes go chasing after a dog passing by which obviously made for an unsafe situation. Because I couldn't trust her I would put her on 2 leashes connected together and tie them to the bottom of the stairs. That way she could move freely up and down the stairs. My previous dog on the other hand would never walk off the porch, one time she was sitting out there for several hours without me knowing it, when I went to close the door because it was getting dark, there she was just sitting on the door mat no gate or leash required.

CatMom1994

Since the OP has not returned, I am afraid he was just looking for confirmation that having an invisible fence is a good solution. People who want to find a real solution probably would not consider invisible fences. I have seen this kind of thread before.

Last edited: