Is this a Cytopoint problem?

Spotthedog

Hi, I'm just finding my way around this site, which I've joined because my poor pup - a springer X lab aged nearly 7 - has started exhibiting fly-snapping behaviour recently. He had been terribly itchy and it was found to be a storage mite allergy. We were struggling to control it with diet and Apoquel, so we agreed to try Cytopoint - he's been having a monthly injection for several months now. Even with that he was still scratching, so the vet increased the dose after consulting with Zoetis. However now that he has started this fly-snapping, I asked the vet not to give the next dose in case he is having focal seizures caused by the injection. I'm now terrified that I might be right about the cause. I've been told it isn't likely to be Cytopoint, but I've read plenty on here suggesting that the medication is not as "free of side effects" as the vets would have us believe. Anyone else had a similar effect? Did it stop once the med was out of the system? Can it be managed in the meantime? Grateful for any advice...

linda2147

I'm confused, if the dog has a mite problem why are you giving him allergy shots? The mites need to be killed and the dog should be ok. Cytopoint affects the dog's immune system, has nothing to do with a mite allergy or flea allergy. You need something to kill the mites which are why the dog itches. the cytopoint will short circuit the urge for the dog to stop itching but the problem is not going to be solved until you kill the mites causing the itch

Spotthedog

Original Poster
The mites Spot is allergic to are in the dog food. Cytopoint is an anti-allergy shot - here is the EMA description of the drug: "Cytopoint is a veterinary medicine used to treat atopic dermatitis in dogs. Atopic dermatitis is inflammation of the skin that is linked to allergy, often to things in the environment such as house dust mites and pollens.". We have tried all kinds of different hypoallergenic foods to try and eliminate storage mite levels but he is very sensitive and they seem to be in just about everything. We are trialing some new grain-free kibble at the moment because storage mites thrive on wheat dust. The reason we tried Cytopoint is that the vet advised that it would be a good way to control a very distressing allergic response. We were told the side effects were minimal.

linda2147

have you considered feeding raw? I've always fed raw and you know exactly what's going in your dog's diet