Is this animal cruelty? Should i do something or kind my own?

Nick1302

My sister has a 6 month old ridgeback, and a 10 year old Australian shepherd. The older dog was bitten by a pitbull several years ago, and has become aggressive sometimes. Well, twice now that I know of, the older dog has bit the puppy pretty good. Once on its chin. It was pretty bad, but didnt need vet intervention, although I think the vet knew about it. I'd don't know about that until it was almost healed.

Anothrt time the older dog but the puppy under its eye. It eventually became very swollen, so my sister brought it to the bet to be treated. They knew the older dog bites the puppy, but didn't seem worried. My sister keeps them separated when shes not home. They usually keep their distance, but sometimes the old dog will bite the puppy if the puppy gets too close. They were doing good for a couple months.

My sister let them play last night, because they seemed to be getting along. All if the sudden the older dog bit the puppy again. Not bad, but the puppy yelped. I'm not really sure what to do about this. I think my sisters trying to keep them separated to the best of her ability, but should I do something.

Is it animal cruelty to let them live in the same house if the puppy is in danger to getting bitten. I really think they will eventually get along, as the accidents I getting more, and more spread out. I've brought up hiring a training, but she kind of brushed it off

Last edited by a moderator:

mechi2

No it's not animal cruelty, they are learning how to behave with one another and sometimes things like this happen.

Nick1302

Original Poster
Is there any way your sister can train the dogs when she is home? That is what she needs to do.
Well, I believe she is, as the incidents are becoming less, and less frequent.

Nick1302

Original Poster
Well, I believe she is, as the incidents are becoming less, and less frequent.
She separates them when she cant watch them, and I think the older dig is just getting more used to being around the puppy. I was just afraid I would be enabling animal cruelty, if I didnt convince her to hire a professional to train the dog, because it's obviously a lot slower with her doing it by herself.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Separating them only works during the time they are separated. It does not teach the old dog to stop biting the puppy when they get together.

If you and your sister can be there at the same time, have a training session where each dog is on a leash.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
You can't force anyone to hire a professional trainer, and I don't think their work is always successful anyway. Most people can't afford to keep the trainer long enough to make a difference. The training should be done by your sister. Like CatMom suggested, maybe you can work with her, have one on leash and correct both, in a gentle positive way, when needed.

A 6 month old Ridgeback has a LOT of energy to expend, and can be very annoying to an older dog, so that doesn't help things. Is the puppy getting a lot of exercise daily, going on long walks or runs? Even if the pup isn't getting bitten, he has to be exercised, it's cruel not to do it.

Also, they can be taken on long walks together so they can bond and get to know and trust one another more. That's the way to work on this problem. When dogs have to be separated like that all the time, they sense the stress in the owner, and they act off of that. This isn't the way to have two dogs in a household. See if you can help her, and try some of my suggestions. Good luck.

Nick1302

Original Poster
You can't force anyone to hire a professional trainer, and I don't think their work is always successful anyway. Most people can't afford to keep the trainer long enough to make a difference. The training should be done by your sister. Like CatMom suggested, maybe you can work with her, have one on leash and correct both, in a gentle positive way, when needed.

A 6 month old Ridgeback has a LOT of energy to expend, and can be very annoying to an older dog, so that doesn't help things. Is the puppy getting a lot of exercise daily, going on long walks or runs? Even if the pup isn't getting bitten, he has to be exercised, it's cruel not to do it.

Also, they can be taken on long walks together so they can bond and get to know and trust one another more. That's the way to work on this problem. When dogs have to be separated like that all the time, they sense the stress in the owner, and they act off of that. This isn't the way to have two dogs in a household. See if you can help her, and try some of my suggestions. Good luck.
My sister says she does take the puppy in walks, but I have no clue what's going on otherwise. She may be doing what you suggested. I often try to stay out of these things though, because people get annoyed when I become nosy.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My sister says she does take the puppy in walks, but I have no clue what's going on otherwise. She may be doing what you suggested. I often try to stay out of these things though, because people get annoyed when I become nosy.
Yeah, but it has to be long walks, preferable more than once a day, or runs....perhaps loose in a dog park to play. Is she also walking them both together, so they'll bond and get used to each other and trust each other?

I think people don't mind if you're concerned, especially if you offer your help to resolve the situation. You can insist on things like hiring a trainer though, I would resent that also. Usually it's bringing a stranger into your home for an hour, paying a lot of money for their opinions and then they take off and everything in the home remains the same.