Is This Dumb?

mechi2

Because of the coronavirus going around I wipe my dog's paws with hand sanitizer after she comes home from a walk. Do any of you do anything like that or am I just overreacting?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Yes, it is dumb. You don't want Shannon to lick anything that was not tested on furry animals.

Look for a product that was made for cats and dogs.

mechi2

Original Poster
I don't leave the hand sanitizer on her paws, I wipe them down with a dry paper towel. Thanks for the baby wipes suggestion, do they kill germs?

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Since baby wipes are recommended by the CDC and required in some places, I would definitely buy them for yourself, not the dog.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Because of the coronavirus going around I wipe my dog's paws with hand sanitizer after she comes home from a walk. Do any of you do anything like that or am I just overreacting?
@mechi2, I don't think it's dumb, but you may be overreacting. From all I've read and heard, dogs cannot carry the virus on their skin or fur, so it shouldn't be such a concern to let the dog into the house as usual. I walk my dog every day, and never wipe his paws unless they are dirty with mud. I also let people I know at the park pet him with no worries, he has a long retractable leash and I am at least ten feet away from them, that's my only concern.

When I did take my dog to the vet recently (curbside service) for his heartworm test, I did put a different collar on him, one I removed as soon as he came home, and I washed it thoroughly with soap and water after letting it sit for awhile in the garage. I just did that because I figured they may be holding him steady by the collar.

Now, from what I hear on the news, the coronavirus on surfaces in general was an overblown concern. I still wash my hands thoroughly when needed, but I don't obsess about getting the mail or receiving a package like I did around a month or so ago. If I go to a store, I still wear a mask and nitrile gloves myself.

mechi2

Original Poster
I let things sit in the foyer for a few days to "decontaminate" and wash my hands soon as I bring the mail in. I've heard the coronavirus was found on a dog's nose.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
My mom gets mad if I wash my hands for less than the recommended 20 seconds. Personally I think it is pointless. If 15 seconds were enough for all other viruses, why not SARS CoV-2?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I think washing the hands as advised by the CDC is a smart thing to do. You're not going to get coronavirus (COVID-19) by touching a package or piece of mail. You get it by touching your face, eyes afterwards without washing your hands properly. I don't count seconds, but soap up really well and wash for a good amount of time, that does kill the virus on your hands according to the experts.

As far as my dog and cat, who also sleep with me, I personally am not concerned.