Is this shelter good for horses in the winter, or must there be more walls?

CatMom1994

I see a person next to the horse, which is sheltered in an enclosure made for horses. What are you worried about?

CatMom1994

The horse can go inside anytime because its enclosure is attached to the barn. Nothing to worry about.

CatMom1994

That horse is in the enclosure, so obviously it does.

Horses don't get as cold as we do. Their body temperature is higher and they have thick fur.

Nick1302

Original Poster
That horse is in the enclosure, so obviously it does.

Horses don't get as cold as we do. Their body temperature is higher and they have thick fur.
The tall black figure you're talking about is the horse. Not a person. There isn't a person in the photo.

CatMom1994

Well, the horse is standing inches away from a wall and door to go inside. It also has a sold roof above its head.

Nick1302

Original Poster
Well, the horse is standing inches away from a wall and door to go inside. It also has a sold roof above its head.
Okay, I can tellyou for a fact, the horse doesn't have acces to the barn, because the owner told me so. The horse just has a thick winter coat.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
To me, the enclosure looks adequate for a horse in the winter. There is a covered area that may not be heated, but certainly gets the horse out of the snow. There is food, looks like a decent area to roam around in. To me it looks like a well maintained enclosure. It’s pretty clean and looks like it’s taken care of. Honestly, I’ve seen far far worse.

Horses can be in much colder temperatures then we humans. They need a covered area so they don’t get rained or snowed on, but they are far less sensitive then we people.

linda2147

they should be wearing blankets and be in a closed in barn. Would that structure be warm enough for you? If not put them in a barn with lots of bedding preferably straw to help keep them warm. Plenty of clean water, and grain along with hay, they should be eating a half a bale a day per horse.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
they should be wearing blankets and be in a closed in barn. Would that structure be warm enough for you? If not put them in a barn with lots of bedding preferably straw to help keep them warm. Plenty of clean water, and grain along with hay, they should be eating a half a bale a day per horse.
Isn’t there a decent barn-type structure that the horse can go inside of? It looks that way from the photos. As for food and water, we have no idea what or how often the owner is feeding the horse, so I don’t think we can accurately judge that. From the photo, it appear there is a good sized water trough though.

From the setup of the enclosure, it looks clean and like the owner put time into it, so I don’t think we should be freaking out unless the horse looks sick, malnourished or is actively being abused.

I’m not an expert on horses, but I don’t think that you should be worrying a lot right now unless there is something really serious going on.

Also, a side note linda2147, it is impossible to see wether the horse has a blanket or not or know what it is being fed from the photos, so I think it’s best to take a calmer approach and just ask questions.

Last edited:

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
if its a trough with no heater the water will freeze. I've had horses so please don't lecture me on their care.
I wasn’t trying to lecture on horse care, I was just say that you don’t know. You have no idea wether the horse has a blanket, or what it’s being fed, or wether the trough or barn is heated or not, you just don’t know. That’s why I was saying, rather then freak out when you don’t know, it’s better to ask questions and find out.