Jelly Fish

puppykawaii

I've seen jelly fish a few times at aquariums. I've never seen them in a pet store before but I think they would make a marvelous pet. Their movements are so beautiful to watch, especially under black light. Does anyone have any experience with jelly fish as pets? Are they difficult to care for? Does anyone know where to get them from?

orpheros

You can SOMETIMES (rarely) find them at saltwater aquarium stores. They are pretty hard to care for, though. Very sensitive. True jellies just kind of.. sit there.

I used to work at a tropical fish shop and we got them in a couple times. I'd say that for all the immense trouble you would go through to set up a saltwater tank, there are plenty of other better creatures to go with instead.

princess-sprinkles

I saw some jellyfish at the national aquarium in baltimore and tehy were magical to say the least. I have never seen them for sale in any of the petstores I have been in, even in aquarium stores.

Good luck searching for some though. They would probably be a really cool pet if you have the energy and money for the upkeep.

Adam Dog Fan

You guys seen the JellyFish tank in 'Seven Pounds' the Will Smith movie. That is VERY cool. Tall cylinder tank, a UV bulb in it and a single jelly with no scenary or anything, not sure if it would actually work in real life as i'm fairly certain jellyfish need water movement. But still, very cool.

bigap

Jellies need zero competition and anything in the tank is or can be food...

jcm2000

Good luck finding jelly fish for a pet!!??!! I have never heard of or seen anything about keeping them as pets. Would you not require a rather large tank to cater for the tentacles? And maintaining a saltwater tank requires a lot of effort. And do jellyfish not like to live in large groups? It would be pretty amazing to have but I think highly impractical and costly. How would you handle them when you need to clean out the tank or do any maintenance ? How do you get your hand in the tank to get something out of it?

kazmac63

I have never heard of anyone keeping Jellyfish before so this is a new one for me. I think that it would be an interesting and very rewarding challenge. Have you thought about what type or even if you can keep them with other types of fish?
Let us know how this goes and maybe post some pics if you go ahead?

prettychi12

I agree! I never considered jellyfish as a pet, they would be amazing to watch but i'd imagine that they would be just as dangerous to handle.

ScoobySnack

I really like them. They look awesome, and there are actually a type that don't sting.
Only problem is you would have to capture one from a remote fresh water location.

McPuffin

Jellyfish make terrible pets.

Sure, they are a nice novelty, and I'd be impressed if someone had a functioning tank with jellies in it that have survived for some time... but in general, a very poor choice for your average joe.

I've often contemplated the idea of breeding jellyfish, laboratory style, however. Their life cycle is absolutely fascinating.

It would compliment my other laboratory work involving the weirdest land-based organisms I know about... mushrooms! Jellyfish and mushrooms are so odd, yet they are kind of similar, and aesthetically they just go together, at least in my opinion.

Both of them require such careful cultivation to be successful in a laboratory setting its almost mind blowing... at least with my ghetto set up.