Kidney disease in a young cat

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Obviously giving her quality food is impossible. She will start taste-testing Hill's k/d tomorrow.

Because Daisy's only symptom is occasional vomiting (which was partially digested kibbles today), I don't think I should be worrying about her all the time. It is not like she feels uncomfortable - her appetite is still normal.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Obviously giving her quality food is impossible. She will start taste-testing Hill's k/d tomorrow.
It's not impossible, even though she needs a special food. Something like what Linda recommended is a much higher quality than Hills.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Alpha, when I was researching wet foods for Patricia, I could see the probem is all commercial diets are too high in phosphorus. I need to email all of the good pet food makers who don't list the amount of phosphorus on their labels before even talking about possibly feeding her something we like.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
How should I start this? Daisy has not eaten Science Diet since she was 6 months old, but did like the kitten formula.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I confirmed Daisy's ultrasound appointment. The email indicates she will be put to sleep because it has instructions to withhold food after 10:00. I told Mom about it and she said that is just in case Daisy needs to be anesthetized; normally fasting is unnecessary. What should I do?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
The instructions also say to withhold water after 7:00 a.m. even though her appointment time is three hours later. I will drop her off at 9:30.

Keeping my paws crossed the cause can be found on the sonogram. Even if it does not affect treatment, I need to solve the mystery.

Luckily Daisy will eat the dry k/d with Blue Wildernessb and wet k/d with Blue Freedom. I am mixing half and half of each now.

Last edited:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sounds good about the eating, good luck with the results of the sonogram.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
This time I will go with Mom to the appointment because Daisy needs to be there two hours later.

I am hoping Daisy has a treatable infection. If that is the case, she can improve to Stage 2.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I stirred half of half of her wet food again today. She ate some of it, no problems. However, I am still concerned eating Hill's k/d exclusively will not be welcome. I will start feeding her Blue Wilderness chicken treats every day to make sure Daisy gets some real chicken if she likes them.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Mom had to use a broom to shoo Daisy out from behind the couch after we looked everywhere else. She knew what was happening.

The estimated pickup time was 12:30 because another cat was also scheduled to have an ultrasound. It was very frustrating to wait until 1:25 and then only hear the same thing I already did: she was probably born with bad kidneys. I wanted the vet to say an exact diagnosis.

Sadly the current prognosis is two years of quailty life if she only eats Hill's k/d. I adopted a kitten thinking I can't keep losing cats every five years because Emily died in 2006, Wilbur died in 2011, and Patricia died in 2016. Well, it sounds like the pattern will continue because Daisy is 3.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I wish I could talk to people who went through this before. Of course nobody I know had a 3-year old cat with CRF. There is one feline CRF forum, but I have been there before and if anyone talked about young shelter cats, I did not see those threads. It does not help to read about senior cats. Most cats with no symptoms are in Stage 1, but Daisy is already in Stage 3 and her only visible symptom is occaional vomiting. The vet said she's not sick and I agree with him.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Does anyone have ANY idea how I can stop thinking Daisy has only two years left to live? I need help NOW! The disease is not reversible and at 3 years old, she is going to die young if nobody outside of my home and vet's office can help me do what I need to do. I have nowhere else to go to get support. There is no other reason for me to keep posting on this forum anymore, just Daisy's problem, if people actually respond.

Last edited: