Kitten dry nursing on toy breed dog

APafDog&CatMom

Hi,
My kitten was taken away from her mother and littermates too soon. I was wondering why she didn't seem to have any suckling issues until I saw my 6 lb Chihuahua-terrier mix dry nursing her. This is very sweet, very much in character for my dog and I'm sure it's doing the kitten a lot of good.

I'm just concerned that it might be too much for the dog, who has never had puppies and is still an adolescent puppy herself. Her nipples look red and irritated and she is losing patience with the kitten.

I have tried offering the kitten a finger to suck on when the dog is obviously uncomfortable, but the kitten isn't interested. The two of them are very tightly bonded and wrestle like littermates. My other dog is bigger (9.5 lbs) and also plays with the kitten, but much more cautiously and carefully. The kitten does not try to nurse on her.

I understand that the nursing fulfils other needs than just nutrition. The dog is not dangerous to the kitten, she just seems uncomfortable and sore.

Any advice on how I can help the two of them work this out?

tia

linda2147

they will work it out themselves, when the dog has had enough she'll let the kitten know. Kitty will get the idea and stop

Beautiful510

I had that issue before. So wat i did was got a stuff animal . got a bottle i put the bottle in the stiff animal like it had nipps. And i put thr kitty on the bottle. It worked or as they saod the 2 will work it out

APafDog&CatMom

Original Poster
Thank you.

This kitten seems to have no concept of what the rubber nipple is supposed to be for. She does go absolutely nuts over KMR, but she bites the nipple with her sharp little canine teeth and has already bitten one in half.

I think I've seen her latch correctly a couple of times, so I'm not giving up today unless she does. If nothing else, she does eagerly lap the KMR from the palm of my hand.

She is growing up very fast and needs more exercise and intellectual stimulation than the dogs can give her. I'm making sure to give her at least a short but regular play time with an interactive toy after meals.

On the bright side, the adopted mama dog looks a lot less sore today. She's been setting some boundaries with both the kitten and the bigger dog. When she's up for nursing the kitten, it is total cute overload. <3