Latest computer problem

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
The reason I have not been posting recently has nothing to do with the holidays. My computer would not stop giving me prompts to install a software upgrade every day until I did it. When I finally clicked on the Install button, it was the last time I could do anything except turn it on and off. Somehow the upgrade installation got stuck at one point and could not finish, as if there was an impasse. Apple Care could not figure it out on the phone. Geel Squad at Best Buy could not fix it and shipped the computer to Apple, so now it is in California while I borrow Mom's laptop. One more reason to not like Apple because this never happened to me with any Windows computer.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sorry to hear that, I never used an Apple computer. Hope you get it back soon.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I always told myself I will never use an Apple computer again after getting my first Windows PC. Then my sister got a Mac Book Pro and talked my mom into buying the same thing. Since then Mom has deliberately forced me to use Apple no matter how much I hate it.k

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Well, if your mother is paying for it, then your freedom of choice is limited, at least she's getting it fixed for you and lending you hers to use in the interim.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Yeah, but I hate using laptops. Even after zooming in the font on this site is smaller than when I use a desktop of any brand.

mechi2

Did you try giving Linux a spin? I've downloaded the latest version of Mint Cinnamon, I haven't installed it but I've been booting it off a live usb drive and I really like, it has the Windows feel to it.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I can tell you this though: Mom would do whatever it takes to block me from buying a Windows PC anyway. Only being a criminal could get me what I want.

linda2147

I can tell you this though: Mom would do whatever it takes to block me from buying a Windows PC anyway. Only being a criminal could get me what I want.
why? You are an adult, you can do what you want, you don't have to justify anything you do to anyone.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I live with my mom and she makes the rules. Can't do anything about that as long as she lives.

But that is beside the point. Her computer does the same thing and the last time it did, I showed her the annoying message and subsequent Mojave app window when I closed it. Mom still won't tell me why she would rather click on those two things every day than simply install Mojave and be done with it.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
Good news: Best Buy called to report my computer is ready for pickup.
Bad news: Mom can't get there at any available times and had to schedule a Thursday afternoon appointment, so I will live another day and a half without it. ARGH!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Good news: Best Buy called to report my computer is ready for pickup.
Bad news: Mom can't get there at any available times and had to schedule a Thursday afternoon appointment, so I will live another day and a half without it. ARGH!
Not too long to wait, just hope they fixed it right.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I am just upset that Mom could not take the call herself because she could have lost the chance to go in this morning by not having her phone six hours earlier.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I finally got my computer back after waiting 45 minutes for an agent. The problem was a hardware defect in the motherboard, (which Apple calls a logiboard) so that part had to be replaced. Mom said she is now terrified to upgrade her laptop. The agent assured her my problem was a rare case of bad luck and it is still better to install upgrades.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
They knew what the problem was - something that could not be fixed at the store. We were worried all of my data would be lost, but the agent found it. He said the logiboard is not where pictures are stored and the problem was blocking data retrieval of data on the hard drive.

Not all is well though. We had no idea the logiboard is the part that stores my computer password and replacing it meant I have to create a new one. So I still can't use it since Apple was unable to transfer the most important information to the new logiboard.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Original Poster
I am finally back on it! After using my mom's laptop for about two weeks, I feel like this screen is huge (it's only 21 inches).