Little kitten with a bad temper

Hedgewitch

Hi. Has anyone else had a kitten that has a short fuse and has temper tantrums? Our lovely placid cat had 4 kittens 2 weeks ago and one of our little furbabies really turns on the hissy, spit, claws & all. If she can't get her favourite teet or be in her favoured spot to sleep in the pile....its on!!! I've never seen anything like it. They're all well fed and the mum is the perfect cat mum so they're not lacking in anything. I just wondered if this was "normal" behaviour?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome back Hodge. I am glad Shelley is a good mommy to her litter.

Which kitten is having temper tantrums? Do her littermates react to those behaviors or act like nothing happened?

This is the beginning of the "critical period" when purrsonalities form in feline brains. You have to make her stop doing this soon to prevent the behaviors from becoming a long-term issue. It is a balancing act because separating one cat would teach her the wrong lessons, but you don't want to let her pose a danger to other kittens the same age. I recommend letting her sleep where she wants to. If Shelley iwll let you move them around, do that so she can drink from a favorite teat every time before they start giving Shelley abdominal massages. Only do this if Shelley does not take care of it herself.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
Thanks Catmom. When she does do it, I take her out of the box and cradle her until she settles down, then put her back. It seems to stop the tantrum. Shelley let's me do all sorts with them. She has complete faith in me. Our connection is lovely actually. The little hot head's (Pepper...aptly named) litter mates don't react other than roll the other way. We intend keeping all four kittens unless someone we know wants one, so it's going to be interesting. Even at that tiny tender age, we can see their little traits developing. And "purrsonalities" lol. Brilliant. 😄

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
IMG_20190212_170212.jpg The little offender herself. 12 days old and an attitude already. ����

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Pepper is a cutie, funny that she's full of vinegar already, I think in all litters both dog and cat, there's one pushy one...much like people too. :friendly_wink: :catbutterfly:

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
I can't wait to see how the rest turn out. 😁 And yes, I think that little face will get away with a lot.....at least for a while.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
LOL Kittens sure know how to look innocent when they are bad.

BTW what did you name the other kittens?

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
For Catmom. The black on is Ernie, after Ernie Dingo, the Australian actor, the ginger one is Jasper, named after the British comic Jasper Carrot and the other female is Nutmeg because she has a Nutmeg coloured stripe running over her back leg. We adore them all. 😍

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
Lol. Yes. I'm wondering how I'll go when they're all using the litter tray. 😷 We need a bigger house now. 😁

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
It will be a while before they start using litterboxes. This early in life kittens learn the "pee here" concept on bath towels.

Hedgewitch

Original Poster
I must tell Shell that. The way cats change diapers turns me off my lunch. Little dears are attempting to groom themselves already. 14 days old officially today. I try to get a little cuddle but they're always either at the milk bar or sleeping. As you can tell...its my first from birth experience (bar my daughter) and its given me a whole new appreciation for life. Everything is precious. See if I say the same thing in a year. 😁

Yetidog37

Chicken crazy
Lol! I'll remember! :friendly_wink: