Looking for a cat on Petfinder

CatMom1994

I always believed in adopting locally if possible. It is very important to spend time with the animals before deciding who to adopt. There are too many homeless pets in every shelter, right? Especially cats because more people want dogs.

Well, that idea flew put the window when I visited my local humane society's website. They have a total of 19 adoptable cats, including those in foster homes. So I am thinking for the first time my next feline daughter must be about 35-95 miles away. My mom wants an adult, so the timing does not help us. That is OK but I do not like losing cats every 4-5 years, so all seniors are out. Along with the requirement to be friendly with other people, including kids, finding a purrfect domestic shorthair now apparently will not happen in Gainesville. (Yes, it must be a girl because neutered boys can pee on carpet and upholstered furniture.)

What do you all think? I found a tortoiseshell 35 miles away whose description is a purrfect match but the shelter's online adoption application is only for dogs. I don't want to use Petfinder's adoption form because they sell names and email addresses. Other cats have very short descriptions so I have to meet them to find out if they love to be held, petted, and cuddled (which is impossible when you live more than 90 miles away from two of them). My county is rural except for Gainesville.

linda2147

don't discount a male, if it was neutered young it probably won't spray. And my male bengal is much more cudly than my girls. And remember its not the sex or color you live with its personality

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Well this girl definitely has the right purrsonality.

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/galaxy-51380154/fl/mount-dora/hoffmeyer-animal-rescue-fl1626/

Galaxy came to us a very very young pregnant girl. She was an absolutely wonderful mommy to her babies. She has been spoiled in a foster home for several months now as she raised her kittens but now it’s her turn to find a forever family. She is super loving. She loves to be held, pet and cuddled. She loves to play with toys and was friendly with the dogs and kids in her foster home.

linda2147

what are you waiting for, she needs a home and you need a cat, no brainer. go get her

CatMom1994

Original Poster
What are you waiting for? She needs a home and you need a cat. No-brainer. go get her.
Other cats need homes too. Should I rule out every cat who has less information om her Petfinder profile page?

I would rather not take a 92-mile car ride, but this girl looks adorable:

https://www.petfinder.com/cat/eliza-51110109/fl/ocoee/a-better-life-pet-rescue-fl540/

Elizabeth Schuyler Hamilton (AKA ELIZA) is a super friendly 2 year old tortie, She’s very mild mannered, affectionate and great with kids and good with other cats too.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
It is so easy to get cats mixed up. I need to write the details on paper. The organization fostering Galaxy, Hoffmeyer Animal Rescue, is not where I can find a two-year old dilute tortoiseshell. I saw tortoiseshells. I saw two-year old cats. I can't remember if any tortoiseshells are two years old. A free Petfinder account is required to save favorites and I am not giving them my contact information.

TTouch

Does the rescue not have a phone number you can phone and ask about the cat in question as well as show your interest/put her 'on hold' before you take your trip.... my guess is you have already made up your mind and will be making the trip anyway :)

CatMom1994

Original Poster
One of my questions about every cat is her fur texture. Who is the softest kitty? Also, what do they mean by playful? I want to pet and play with a cat myself first, then "sleep on it" to decide which cat to adopt. One organization offers a "foster to adopt sleepover" option, but I still need to see cats at the shelter and bring them home for those overnight trials. Maybe I am overthinking the distances - 71, 76, 92, and 93 miles away.

Is it really possible to put a cat on hold? Usually they are first come first serve unless an adoption application is denied.

Last edited:

linda2147

why don't you just go to a shelter and ask for the one that has been there the longest and needs a home. Every animal deserves a home and for whatever reason some are just overlooked, so get one that wants out of the cage and would appreciate a home.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I can see on Petfinder who has been in foster homes the longest. The organization fostering Galaxy is cage-free. She arrived pregnant so most of the time she was not eligible for adoption anyway. Now Galaxy is spayed so I can put her on my tentative favorites list.

If my mom is still dead set on not having a dark cat, Galaxy is not an option. A dilute tortoiseshell named Eliza would be the leader then but she is the one 92 miles away. I know she loves to be held, kissed, and petted.

Another young dilute tortoiseshell, Tenille, has very little information and only one picture on her Petfinder profile page. I want to meet her too.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Here they are in no particular order:
Cinnamon.jpgEliza.jpgGalaxy.jpgGram.jpgTenille.jpg
Left to right: Cinnamon Eliza Galaxy Gram Tenille

linda2147

sorry but your mother needs reality check, color has nothing to do with a cat a black cat can be just as loving as a white cat. They don't know or care what they look like, they all want a home and someone to love them.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
What's your mother's problem with a dark cat? They can be just as loving, sweet and well behaved as any other color cat.
We have beige tiles and carpet. Although Mom says she likes cats, she does not love them enough to accept the sight of black fur everywhere. In
a perfect world, nobody would care about that - and I would not have light brown floors either.

If a dilute tortoiseshell is just like Galaxy, I would be OK not adopting her. It is just the facts these shelters are so far apart and away from me that I have problem with.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Sorry but your mother needs reality check, Color has nothing to do with a cat. A black cat can be just as loving as a white cat. They don't know or care what they look like, they all want a home and someone to love them.
I know that. She knows that. How can I convince her personality is more important?

linda2147

We have beige tiles and carpet. Although Mom says she likes cats, she does not love them enough to accept the sight of black fur everywhere. In
a perfect world, nobody would care about that - and I would not have light brown floors either.

If a dilute tortoiseshell is just like Galaxy, I would be OK not adopting her. It is just the facts these shelters are so far apart and away from me that I have problem with.
[/QU
if anyone thinks that the decor of the house has to match the pet then she shouldn't have anything

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I will let you all know what my mom says about drivin a long distance before scheduling appointments. At this point, our preference would be rare orange and white cat if we can't adopt one of the tortoiseshell cats. But there is no way to know how sweet, loving, affectionate, and friendly any cats are without being there. Can anyone tell me 70-76 miles away is worth it when other cats only 34 miles away are also waiting for new homes, according to Petfinder?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I have light sand colored carpets and a white kitchen floor, my cat is gray. I vacuum regularly anyway, that takes care of any fur on the floors, my living room couch and chairs have throw covers that I can wash easily when needed. Plus, with regular brushing, they shed less.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I have light sand colored carpets and a white kitchen floor,. My cat is gray. I vacuum regularly anyway. That takes care of any fur on the floors. My living room couch and chairs have throw covers that I can wash easily when needed. Plus, with regular brushing, they shed less.
I remember pictures of Loki in your living room and kitchen. It looks weird that in some he is light gray and in others he is almost black.

How does brushing a cat every week reduce shedding?

mechi2

Brushing doesn't reduce shedding, it's leaves less hair to fall on the floor. Why can't you get a cat at a local shelter instead of driving miles out of your way?

CatMom1994

Original Poster
Brushing doesn't reduce shedding, it's leaves less hair to fall on the floor. Why can't you get a cat at a local shelter instead of driving miles out of your way?
The female adults available for adoption nearby are shy at first like Daisy was. That is a personality trait we really want to avoid. I cannot make Mom change her mind about the cat's sex - even shelter volunteers couldn't four years ago. She is also adamant about no more kittens.

CatMom1994

Original Poster
I looked at the local shelter's cats again. There are 23 available now. Most of them are boys. One girl is a feral farm cat. Another is shy. It is simply not possible to find the right cat for us without driving over 70 miles each way.

hamsterlover123

Hmm...
I think it is very good that you are rescuing a cat and I honestly do not see a problem with going miles away for one. I see your mom is set on a certain type of cat and you might need to follow that as I see you are living in her house and she is not living in yours or is she living in yours? If you tried to convince your mom you might need to find another sweet girl. I hope this helps. :)