Lost for words (TEMPORARY Foster in Georgia Needed)

Justin_U

Hi all, I'd like to start off by introducing myself, my name is Justin and my bestfriend is my buddy Atlas. This post will be lengthy so please stick with me if you will.
To start off, I am lost for words at the moment, and this is hard for me to type. Four months ago I was introduced to the bestfriend a man could ask for, he was rescued by a close friend and I have helped care for him ever since, so much that the friend had agreed to give him to me and I couldn't have been happier at the news, this was roughly one month ago, and up until this past week, the owner had agreed to care for him in June while I was away for archaeological field school.

Last week, this friend informed me that they would not be able to care for Atlas, and that they did not want him around anymore. After hearing the news I agreed to take the dog to avoid my bestfriend from being taken back to the shelter. As of today, I have Atlas and currently I am trying to find a "foster" home for him for the 25 days I will be gone in June.

Atlas is completely vaccinated, on Frontline, and Iverhart heart worm preventative. This was not in the plans and now I have no idea what to do, Atlas is the best dog in the world, without a doubt. He is my buddy, and I have no options as everyone I have tried has no place for him to stay. I understand the struggle I am faced with and have no idea where to turn, I can not give him away, I love this little man, and I will do whatever it takes, for Atlas' sake.

For the past two days I have tried to plead with the friend, and no progress has been made. I am located in the west Georgia area, and have contacted all of my local options.
As I type this I am not even sure what options I even have left, I don't have $600 to pay, but I do have some money to provide for his care, I have all of his food and medicines and I guess I am just asking that if anyone out there can pass this along as best they can, maybe it will reach someone who can assist in some facet.

I have adequate means to take care of my bestfriend at the end of June, and will do so at the highest level, as I have carefully for him since he came into my life.

Thanks for your time and please help me to spread the word.

- Justin

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Are you just looking for a temporary foster home, or dog sitter for Atlas while you're gone? What breed of dog is he, and what is his personality, friendly, does he get along with other dogs or cats? Is he completely house trained, and what are the living arrangements he's used to right now, indoor dog, crate trained?

Do you have a photo of him to share? Just curious for some more details, as anyone who is willing to care for the dog while you're away will want more info than you've given so far. :)

Justin_U

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply.
Atlas is great with other dogs, he loves to play fetch, and has to be the biggest cuddler I've ever seen. Atlas also is housetrained, and does great indoors, even when left alone. He weighs 35 lbs. and is a terrier mix.
Atlas has (to my knowledge) never been placed in a crate, I have never needed to or wanted to crate him. Currently Atlas sleeps either on the couch or with me, if he sleeps with me he has to be right in the middle (once again, he's a cuddler). Atlas is also neutered and microchipped.

Ideally what I am looking for is a temporary foster, a place where he can feel comfortable and both, give and receive love.

(I will add photos also)

Thanks again for the reply

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Good luck Justin, he sounds like a nice dog to sit for! :love_heart: Hopefully you can find someone in the Georgia area, a photo would help the cause. :)

Goldfinch7

Have you tried searching for pet sitting companies in your area? I doubt you'll find a free, trustworthy "foster" carer as fostering is usually looking after rescue dogs while they are in rescue waiting for a forever home, but there are companies that you pay to take your dog into a loving family home to be cared for.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sometimes there are local small newspapers, where neighbors place ads who are interested in keeping your dog in their home while you're away. If they're nearby, and you can check them and their home out, that's another option. Less expensive than a professional service. Better if it's an older person, no little kids around, or too many other pets.

haopee

BACON of Light
I am sorry to hear this. I don't know anyone in Georgia so I'm not much help. Have you tried calling any rescue shelters? Or better yet... have you tried the shelter where Atlas was taken from? They might consider taking care of him for awhile... And if they can't, ask them what other options they might suggest like a foster family for the mean time.

Here's a link of all the shelters in Georgia. http://www.petfinder.com/awo/index.cgi?location=GA&keyword=

Try calling them and see if anyone would give Atlas a temporary home. You can also narrow the search on the specific city you're in since there are a lot of them.

Don't give up. I'm sure someone will be able to help you. Good luck.

NClady520

I wish I didn't have so much going on right now already or I would watch him for you. I'm only a few hours from ga.