Lovebird is biting

Earthbees

So, I got my female lovebird awhile back now. And she has a biting problem. Whenever she sees my finger she lunges or runs to bite it, she has a cage full of toys and I rearrange them every time I clean her cage (almost three times a week) I honesty don't have any idea on how to make her stop. I never yell when she bites, I just ignore her, but I've been doing that for awhile and it doesn't seem to be working..

I love her so very much! And I enjoy her company, I know birds never bite without a reason. I am open to any ideas, and ask as many questions as you need. Thanks.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is your bird's name?

Ignoring your bird is exactly what you should not be doing. She needs to learn ASAP biting the hand that feeds her is bad. You encourage it when you say nothing to her. Also, rearranging toys is not the same as giving her new toys.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
The only bird I ever had for a short time was an African Grey Parrot, and I bought him from a pet store and he was an adult and not socialized. So, he was a biter too, but a much larger bird. When I worked with him to try and socialize him, I sometimes wore gloves because my hands were turning into chop meat from all the bites. Has your bird been socialized, how old was she when you got her? Did she always bite?

Most I would try and do is have something handy and safe for her to bite handy when you interact with her. When she goes to bite, offer the chew instead. Perhaps you can break her habit. Welcome to the forum! :)

Earthbees

Original Poster
Hi, thanks for the reply. I'm not sure she was socialized, I got her from a pet store when she was probably a few months old (I'm guessing I don't know for sure) she has always been a bit nippy, but now it's full on attacks.

She usually chews on wooden twigs and such. Is your African Grey still biting? Thanks.

Earthbees

Original Poster
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What is your bird's name?

Ignoring your bird is exactly what you should not be doing. She needs to learn ASAP biting the hand that feeds her is bad. You encourage it when you say nothing to her. Also, rearranging toys is not the same as giving her new toys.
What should I be doing instead? Also her name is Valentine :)

Earthbees

Original Poster
Give Valentine a treat (not her regular birdseed) to eat while you are cleaning the cage.
She usually stays in a small dog kennel for about 4-5 minutes while I'm cleaning, so instead of giving her some regular old millet I should give her a special treat of some kind while I'm socializing with her? (like nuts or a unsalted popcorn, I heard birds love that stuff) Is there any training methods that would minimizes the bites?