MAKE SURE TO ADOPT!

CatMom1994

Welcome to the forum.

One poster loves Bengals and German shepherds. Another loves Manxes and schnauzers. They both support adoption and pet rescue; it is just a matter of breed preferences for them. I wish there were more breed rescue organizations for people like them because the only thing wrong with a breed preference is it usually requires buying kittens or puppies.

My sister never wanted five cats. She ended up with that many because nobody else in her area likes cats, so they all came to her house. There is no animal shelter in the area, so she has no choice but to keep all of them. More than once she said, "I know we have too many pets," referring to her husband, stepdaughter, two dogs, and however many cats they had at the time. Only one of her pets, a maltepoo, was adopted "on purpose."

Pickle Porcupine

Original Poster
:) we need to remember, many BUT DEFINITELY NOT ALL pet stores harass, abuse, and anything more you can think of, "do bad" to pets, just to get their hands on as much mula as they can. it's a serious thing.

linda2147

pet stores sell puppy mill puppies and kitten mills kittens. Everyone bought makes room for one more and the parents live in terrible conditions and never get out of their cages, NO ONE under any circumstances should support pet shops if there is no market for their product they will quit stocking puppy mill pups and if there is no one buying there is no longer any incentive to breed

linda2147

reputable breeders don't sell to pet shops, or sell on line, they don't advertise on social media, they care where their puppies and kittens go, not to just anyone that has the money to buy one.l

CatMom1994

Reputable breeders don't sell to pet shops, or sell on line, they don't advertise on social media. They care where their puppies and kittens go, not to just anyone that has the money to buy one.
They also care about heritage. Instead of wanting more kittens or puppies, they want better kittens or puppies. Loki would have Manx syndrome -
a life-threatening spinal condition that cases paraplegia and incontinence, among other problems - if he came from a kitten mill breeder instead of
a reputable one.

TTouch

:) we need to remember, many BUT DEFINITELY NOT ALL pet stores harass, abuse, and anything more you can think of, "do bad" to pets, just to get their hands on as much mula as they can. it's a serious thing.
If you purchase from a pet shop you are supporting BYB/pet farming/mills as NO breeder would sell their litters by sending them off to live in a pet shop and that pet ending up being the subject of an impulse purchaser, the reality is the pet shop would not pay the price of pets from a breeder anyway when they can get 10 to 20 pets from their supply chain of BYB/farms/mills compared to 1 from a breeder.

But, we must try
You have an idealist view point, which is fine but you have no idea what someone else wants/needs when getting their pet which is/could be very different to why you want a new pet...the only person you are responsible to is you and what you choose to do.

PhoenixKoi

With different breeds of animal it can be hard to adopt them. With birds for example, A lot of times rescue birds have some sort of dissorder or medical issue due to the kind of life they may have led before being given to you. For some reptiles like Tortoises it can be hard too but I think its a wonderfull mindset to try to adopt when possible. Honestly alot of Mutts and Rescue pets are more adorable then the ones you buys since you know they are better off with you!

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
This doesn’t just go for dogs and cats either, it goes for birds, fish, reptiles, amphibians and small animals too.

The more you buy from pet stores and mass breeders, the more the mills and mass breeders grow and produce more animals.

Fish, chickens and reptiles as well are mass bred and sold in large quantities for cheap to pet stores and farm stores. You then end up with tons of sickly, poorly taken care of animals that are abused most of or all of their lives.

Adopt a rescue or buy from a private breeder! If you are going to buy fish, get them from a reputable LFS or get them shipped to you from a good breeder. If you are going to buy birds, reptiles or small animals, do the same. Find an independent breeder near you that actually cares for the animals. And if at all possible, with any animal, adopt a rescue from someone, don’t buy from a pet store.

The goldfish industry is probably the most sickening pet industry out there. Goldfish are mass bred and inbred in WAY overstocked pools, dumped into a little bags with thousands of other fish and thrown in the back of a truck to be shipped around the country. Most will end up at petcos, petsmarts and Walmart’s in a crappy little display tank with so many other fish they can hardly swim around and sky high ammonia levels. By this time, most of the fish have developed a number of diseases and have permanent gill damage. The fish will then be sold of individually for a dollar or two to some 7 year old who was told by the guy at the pet store that this baby 8” fish can live in 1 gallon of water with some pink gravel that is cleaned once a month and be fed and colored fish flakes primarily made of soy protein.

Then after this fish has died in two weeks (a fish that is supposed to have an 8-10 year life span) from such terrible conditions, 7 year old comes back to get another one and is told that it’s normal and goldfish have short lifespans, so that mom and dad will keep buying new goldfish for their child and the store can keep making money.

Last edited:

CatMom1994

Little, the important word is REPUTABLE. Independent breeders are the ones who need to be avoided. All breeders are "private" by definition.

Well yes always adopt when you can! But responsible breeders are great too, if everyone only adopted some breeds might vanish. Pet stores on the other hand get their animals (dogs, cats, etc) from pet mills where they massively overbreed and abuse their mom dogs and dad dogs, puppies (off spring) and the animals might go to a shelter or even die because of their bad health, responsible breeders will make sure the people who buy a furry friend is going to give them a forever home or if they can't keep they pet the breeders will help rehome it. Though yes adopting is amazing! I have never had experience with any though, our dog was a street dog but I would not say we adopted him...

If you purchase from a pet shop you are supporting BYB/pet farming/mills as NO breeder would sell their litters by sending them off to live in a pet shop and that pet ending up being the subject of an impulse purchaser, the reality is the pet shop would not pay the price of pets from a breeder anyway when they can get 10 to 20 pets from their supply chain of BYB/farms/mills compared to 1 from a breeder.
Well yes the large chain ones, some local ones (I have one like this) they don't sell dogs or cats since they do not like how they are bred which I thought was very nice but you are right there is definitely not a good thing is large chain petstores

CatMom1994

The large chain stores do sell aquatic animals though. The Petsmart closest to me is small so it does not have birds or rodents, but it does have a fish tank aisle. I would rather buy my fish at a specialty shop if I had an aquarium because you can't be too safe with living creatures. What's hard
is you can't really adopt rescued fish the way you can with a furry animal.

CatMom1994

Back on topic: Nobody needs to worry about me not choosing to adopt! My next cat will be the fifth shelter cat . . . out of five cats total. Have you ever heard or read the phrase "Rescued in my favorite breed" used as a way to encourage adoption at shelters instead of buying pets?

TTouch

Well yes the large chain ones, some local ones (I have one like this) they don't sell dogs or cats since they do not like how they are bred which I thought was very nice but you are right there is definitely not a good thing is large chain petstores
ALL pet shops if selling pets get them from BYB/mills/ quantity breeders, a 'pet shop ' is NEVER the right place to purchase a pet.
In 'some' countries the law has been tighten requiring pets shops (or any other retailer like fairs who used to give away fish in little platic bags) to have licences, the correct housing, care and environment to house/keep the animals, they are inspected and obligated to a sell only to adults and after filling out a questionaire, so no nipping in and purchasing a gold fish as a impulse gift for little Johnny.

TTouch

I will be at a cage-free cat shelter today. Can't wait to see those kitties!

Good luck, hope she is all that you want

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Little, the important word is REPUTABLE. Independent breeders are the ones who need to be avoided. All breeders are "private" by definition.
I was speaking about small animals and fish mostly. Generally speaking, the small independent breeders are the better option when it comes to fish, because an aquarist who is is just breeding as a side hobby is going to take WAY better care of their animals then any large scale breeder or store ever would.

For dogs and cats it’s usually a different story though.

Now, there are exceptions to everything, I have know fish stores that had wonderful employees that actually cared for the fish, I’ve know of small independent breeders that abused their fish, so it’s never set in stone, it’s just a general.

The large chain stores do sell aquatic animals though. The Petsmart closest to me is small so it does not have birds or rodents, but it does have a fish tank aisle. I would rather buy my fish at a specialty shop if I had an aquarium because you can't be too safe with living creatures. What's hard
is you can't really adopt rescued fish the way you can with a furry animal.
You can adopt fish, quite easily actually. Many people put their rescued fish up for adoption in the community section on Craigslist or aquarium groups on Facebook (just make sure the “seller” isn’t shady and actually cares about the fish).

Another option is finding a fish or exotic animal rescue near you. Where I used to live, there was actually a lady in town who had a small exotic animal rescue. She had a large section of her house dedicated to animals and rescued a number of reptiles, amphibians, fish and even a few rodents. She would find abused fish or reptiles on Craigslist and similar sites or in abandoned ponds, fish tanks, etc, rescue them, give them the right environment and some TLC and bring them back to health, then put them up for adoption on her Facebook page. She would often include before and after pictures of when she found them vs now. She would alway vet adoptees to make sure the animals went to good homes, and she took great care of her animals. I personally wanted to adopt one of her rescue bettas, but then we moved and I was unable to.

Now, adopting is more work then just going down to the store and buying your animal, but I still think it’s a better option.