Mosiah and Vesper

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
It’s been a pretty rough day for me. For a while now my two fancy babies have been battling some type of internal parasite. I’ve been doing praziquantel and salt treatments. A few days ago Vesper (the little black butterfly telescope) was having fluid build up in her abdomen and behind her eyes, she couldn’t swim and was laying on her side. I realized she wasn’t going to make and decided it was time to put her to sleep. I continued to treat my baby blue Oranda. Yesterday he was more lively and I thought he was on the mend, but towards the evening he started getting really lethargic. This morning he was even worse. He was laying on his side and his fins were clamped. I realized he wasn’t going to make it either and put him down around lunch time.

It might be stupid to grieve for goldfish, but these little ones meant a lot to me. I’m already missing them. Just wanted to post and let y’all know what’s been going on.

My finned little ones are over the rainbow bridge.:cry:

Some cute pictures in memory of my water-babies.192AB752-E441-48B2-BEA9-8C3275A7AF20.jpeg885A6B10-7BBD-47B4-9B13-F0314FBDE75C.jpeg5CA8DFCD-0E9E-4161-A5FD-6C039D8AC9AA.jpeg

CatMom1994

No, it definitely is NOT stupid to grieve losing fish. They were your pets. You loved and cared for them. People who say, "They were just fish," had never experienced the human-pet bond with any animal. They will never get it. So I recommend just talking to other animal lovers about this since hearing that kind of crap is only going to make you feel worse.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
No, it definitely is NOT stupid to grieve losing fish. They were your pets. You loved and cared for them. People who say, "They were just fish," had never experienced the human-pet bond with any animal. They will never get it. So I recommend just talking to other animal lovers about this since hearing that kind of crap is only going to make you feel worse.
Thank you. I feel like a lot of people under-estimate fish and the bond you can make with them, fish just have a different way of communication.

CatMom1994

People visit aquariums to look at the creatures in their tanks, saying this fish is beautiful or that fish is amazing. For them it is all about what things in those tanks look like and how they swim. To understand what it is like to have fish as pets, people need to experience it.

How did Mosiah and Vesper communicate?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
People visit aquariums to look at the creatures in their tanks, saying this fish is beautiful or that fish is amazing. For them it is all about what things in those tanks look like and how they swim. To understand what it is like to have fish as pets, people need to experience it.

How did Mosiah and Vesper communicate?
It’s hard to explain, but you know how cats and dogs use body language to express emotions certain ways? Fish use body language too. They might not seem as relatable as say, a dog (at first glance anyways), but once you keep them and get to know them, you start to understand their way of communication a little. You learn how to tell when they are happy, or sad, or angry or in pain. They have ways they express themselves just like dogs and cats. They have individual personalities.

I remember one time when I was keeping a colony of freshwater shrimp with Count Rosencross (my betta), and I forgot to feed him dinner one night. It dawned on me at like 7:30. I went in to go feed him, and he was just sitting there with a shrimp in his mouth just staring me straight in the eyes like “You deserve this human. You forget my dinner, I eat your shrimp.”

CatMom1994

I know feline body language very well - and different meows too.