My Boy Has Been Under the Weather for a Few Days Now

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
My cat has been in a slump, throwing up some clear bile and eating very little now. It's been several days, watching him closely to see if there's improvement. Yesterday when he threw up the liquidy stuff, there were some signs of fur in it, so I'm thinking hairballs might be involved....he has VERY thick fur. So I gave him some hairball medicine yesterday and today, also a little light olive oil.

It saddens me when my furkids aren't feeling well, hoping he gets whatever it is out of his system and regains his appetite and good mood. Not going to rush him to the vets, but will take him if i feel he's not getting better. He hasn't had anything unusual to eat, so not sure what sparked this.

One good thing is there's no blood in the vomit/bile, and it's not a dark yellow or greenish color, I think that would signal a worse problem. He's a big purrer, I just picked him up and he had just a faint purr that went to silence, I'm a little worried, going to keep a close eye.

linda2147

I'd be worried also,he is not acting himself so obviously doesn't feel good. Hope he gets better soon.

linda2147

get him a bengal kitten, that would perk him up, someone to play with his own kind.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
No thanks Linda, he'll perk up when he's not ill anymore.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
One of the ways Patricia let me know her time on Earth was expiring was purring so softly I could barely hear her. She was a loud kitty for 19 years. So anytime people report this symptom, my mind instantly rewinds to the last week of December 2015. I wish she had clear bile instead of foamy vomitus at the end.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Sorry about your Patricia CatMom, she'll always be in your heart and those memories can really be bittersweet....hugs.

Saav

Author of The Cats of Stony River
@Alpha1 I would say as always (you know me) get him to a vet. If he is not himself, something is going on. I know this sounds gross, but try to get a bit of his barf and and a stool sample in plastic bags and get him to a vet.

I had to do that with with my Monster years ago, turned out he had a bunch of IBS and we had to change his diet and then he was fine.

Alpha1 when a cat acts not normally, they are saying something is up. Pease get him to the vet.

Wishing you and kitty all the best with very much love,
Saav

Esme

Oh I'm sorry to hear about Loki. Worries me too. Please keep us posted my friend.:love_heart:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Thanks Esme, today's the first day he seems a little better, he's in the back yard now with Bigfoot, he wasn't interested to go out for a couple of days now. If he needs to eat some fresh grass, he has it there. Last night I gave him a couple of tiny pieces of cheese and this morning a little freeze dried treat, doesn't look like he got sick at all last night or this morning. He's purring a little more like normal, so I'm hoping he's on the mend.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
signs are all looking up, maybe he got into something outside that upset his stomach.
It's possible Linda, but I don't think so. I never use any chemicals or pesticides on my lawn or have anything that would upset his stomach that I know of. I joke that he's like Garfield sometimes, but he's a pretty picky eater and only eats certain things.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Cheese and grass are not cat food. Have you tried giving him stuff cats are able to digest easily?
Of course cheese and grass are not cat food CatMom, I think everyone knows that. But he does like cheese which is why I offered it to him. His stomach was empty because any regular cat food he was eating, he wasn't keeping down. So the cheese was a good idea, didn't cause upset and there has been no more signs of vomiting, also he seems to feel better today. Later he will get his normal meal, and I'll see if his appetite improved.

Grass is eaten by both cats and dogs when their stomach is upset, sometimes it helps them throw up whatever bad is in their system. I've seen all my pets at one time of another benefit from eating grass when they were sickly. In fact, they sell indoor grass for cats just for that purpose, I bought it years ago but never could keep it alive.

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Of course cheese and grass are not cat food CatMom, I think everyone knows that. But he does like cheese which is why I offered it to him. His stomach was empty because any regular cat food he was eating, he wasn't keeping down. So the cheese was a good idea, didn't cause upset and there has been no more signs of vomiting, also he seems to feel better today. Later he will get his normal meal, and I'll see if his appetite improved.

Grass is eaten by both cats and dogs when their stomach is upset, sometimes it helps them throw up whatever bad is in their system. I've seen all my pets at one time of another benefit from eating grass when they were sickly. In fact, they sell indoor grass for cats just for that purpose, I bought it years ago but never could keep it alive.
How does grass help a sick cat throw up?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
SOURCE

As any cat owner knows, cats regularly throw up and leave lovely, wet little fur ball presents around the house.

But when the fur moves deep into the digestive tract, kitty needs a little help to break it down and pass it out the other end.

Call it a sixth sense or just intuition, but your cat knows that a little bit of grass may just go a long way in cleaning out its system (and may save you a trip to the veterinarian).

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Original Poster
Update, he is feeling better today, but not 100%. For dinner I gave him a small amount of his normal canned food, and he ate it all. He always has dry available to free-feed, and he has been eating a little bit of that. He's still drinking normally and purring more today.

linda2147

thats good to hear, at least he's eating even if its a little bit, as he feels better his appetite will return, he'll be back to normal and back to eating regular when he feels better. No problem getting my little one to eat, she eats 4 3 oz pouches a day, pretty much always cleans her plate, I have a little bowl of dry in the kennel for her but the big cats eat it. She goes in the kennel and goes in her bed when she's ready for a nap, and even stops playing to go use the litter box, she is doing really well. Tomorrow morning she has an apt. with the vet, but I don't think they'll be doing any shots as she had her first round of shots on the 17th.

Saav

Author of The Cats of Stony River
Thanks Esme, today's the first day he seems a little better, he's in the back yard now with Bigfoot, he wasn't interested to go out for a couple of days now. If he needs to eat some fresh grass, he has it there. Last night I gave him a couple of tiny pieces of cheese and this morning a little freeze dried treat, doesn't look like he got sick at all last night or this morning. He's purring a little more like normal, so I'm hoping he's on the mend.
Oh I hope so @Alpha1! Thinking of you both.

Hugs
Saav