My Cat Is Sucking His Own Nipples

queen of the rodeo

Hi all!

I’m an 18 year old, in my senior of high school and fixing to go somewhere across the country for college. I want to get all my pets’ problems sorted out (not that there are very many) but this particular problem is kinda strange and I’m wondering if anybody has experienced it or has advice before we can get him to the vet.

We haven’t been able to get him to the vet for a while because we’re dealing with a lot of other financial issues. I just recently got a job at Chipotle and as soon as I get my first paycheck, I’m taking him to the vet.

Anyway, onto the cat. He’s 9 years old, and I got him when he was 5. I personally believe he has PTSD from a period of time before we had him where he was terrorized by a dog for around 2 years, where he was attacked by the dog and confined to a corner under a bed because of how much he was scared of the dog. There were poops and pee spots under the bed, and the owners had to confine the dog to a room at night so that the cat could eat. Unfortunately, I think this gave him some problems. He’s very sensitive to touch, doesn’t interact well with our other cats (is able to tolerate them when he’s distracted), and is very attached to a single person in my house of 3 (me). However, this hasn’t been confirmed by a vet as of yet.

This is a problem that we have seen him do sometimes, but we would always try to make him stop by distracting him whenever we saw it. Recently, one of our other cats got hit by a car and we had to take him to the vet for surgery. We are now very deep in the hole and also have been essentially not paying attention to our other cats while trying to help our injured one to recovery. Unfortunately, I think this was stressful for my cat and he’s now suckling on his own nipples and biting/licking at his lower stomach skin until there are open wounds. The entire area is very raw and sensitive, and there are dots wounds, such as a human would get if there were to scratch themselves raw. He reacts negatively even when the spots are brushed against passively. Hair is missing from the entire area extending from the base of his right leg to the middle of his stomach. He has been spitting out major hairballs.

Does anybody have any advice? I want to do whatever I can for him before I can get him to the vet. He’s been cuddling with me a lot but sometimes I still catch him gnawing/licking that area aggressively. I care for him very much.

Thanks!

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Welcome to the forum. Thank you for posting. What are the names of your cats?

PTSD is much worse than just overgrooming. He could be stressed, but obviously knows his buddy is still alive. Does this usually seem to happen when your other cat is not home? If so, it would be separation anxiety.

Have you looked into some anxiety remedies? It sounds like he is stressed and probably sensitive to changes in the home or routine. I use a pheromone diffuser whenever I am anticipating changes in my home, like a new animal, guests coming over, or moving. The pheromones help to naturally calm the cat by simulating the pheromones that mother cats give off to their kittens. I'd also try adding some omega 3 fatty acids to his diet. It can help to heal the skin irritation faster. I hope your kitty feels better soon. Good luck!