My dog claiming everything around her

gul.Impact

My Cookie (Russian Puddle) claims almost everything around her. Even I and my husband can not take something that is around her and once she starts barking, she will never stop. How do you think we should act when she does that?

linda2147

how old is the dog and how long has she been doing this. If its something new its relatively easy to stop but if its become a habit you may have a harder time but it can be done. You must stop bad habits before they become an issue or you'll have a little tyrant on your hands that rules the house. If she has something and won't let you take it, give her a firm no, give it to me, if necessary get a pair of steel mesh gloves and take it. The gloves will prevent her from biting you.

mechi2

Ha ha, your post Linda reminded me of when I had to wear ski gloves to cut my chi's nails. It's been years now since the gloves came off and not a bite on me, lol. Being firm and consistent eventually pays off

gul.Impact

Original Poster
how old is the dog and how long has she been doing this. If its something new its relatively easy to stop but if its become a habit you may have a harder time but it can be done. You must stop bad habits before they become an issue or you'll have a little tyrant on your hands that rules the house. If she has something and won't let you take it, give her a firm no, give it to me, if necessary get a pair of steel mesh gloves and take it. The gloves will prevent her from biting you.
Hi Linda. Thank you. She is 4 years old and actually it is my husband that treats her like the queen in the house:) so do you think is it too hard to kill that habit now?

linda2147

Nothing is impossible but you can't let up, you have to correct her every time she does it, if you let her get away with it even once you'll have to start all over again. teach her "leave it" and "drop it". When she gets it right give her a small treat and praise. NEVER let her intimidate you, if she won't give up what she has then take it. If you back down then she's in control. She has to learn when you tell her to drop it she either drops it or you take it. Don't hit or holler at her that will only make the situation worse, It will take a bit of time and work to retrain her but you can do it. She has to realize you are in control and not her. Good luck

gul.Impact

Original Poster
I have trained my dogs many times up to now but I guess the difference of acting towards her between me and my husband is what causes the problem. Thank your for your recommendations. I will try and see:)