My friend Luke

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
For the first time since my feline neighbor stopped visiting me, I got a chance to ask his humans about him. My assumption had been Luke, a brown and white mackeral tabby, just decided not to come over anymore and became an indoor-only cat. Unfortunatley that was not true. His "daddy" broke the news they chose to put him to sleep 6 months ago because he was pooping everywhere and nothing was solving the problem. He was 18.

RIP Luke. You will always be missed. :love_heart:

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Sad to hear about Luke, often incontinence comes with old age.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
They said Luke had "intestinal problems" but nobody knew what caused it. Of course it was not an easy decision for either of them.

Months after Luke stopped visiting me, he came over one night for a short time. Now I know he did it to tell me and Daisy goodbye.

cluckmecoop7

Chicken Crazy!
Months after Luke stopped visiting me, he came over one night for a short time. Now I know he did it to tell me and Daisy goodbye.
That must have been very sweet. Sometimes people say animals can't do such a thing...I believe they can!

RIP dear Luke.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
Sick cats know when it is time to go - often before their humans do. Of course I did not know it at the time, or else would have gone outside to pet, scratch, and kiss him.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
Does anybody think it is a bad idea to give them a card 6 months later? My mom does.

Jeffrey In USA

Does anybody think it is a bad idea to give them a card 6 months later? My mom does.
If you know they truly loved Luke to the very end, I don't see an issue with you giving them a card. You only recently found out about his death. But moms usually know best.:p

Best of luck in what ever you decide.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Absolutely not. When someone is mourning the loss of their beloved pet, they always find comfort when someone sends them a card of condolence....no matter how long after the death.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
They certainly did know that. He was special to me too because I had him between Patricia and Daisy.

Jeffrey In USA

I also want to give them a picture of Luke in my yard.
Sounds like a great idea to me. In fact, about a week or so after my dear Lady G. was killed, I asked a couple of my neighbors if they had taken any pictures of her over the years. The lady that lives behind me said she had a picture or two of her laying in her large yard swing. So I am hoping I will get that picture, and any other she may have, soon. They're on a roll of film she said she is going to get developed soon. I offered to take it and get it developed myself, but she insisted she would do it. But here I am, still waiting for it. I'll try and be patient for a little longer. But I am very excited about getting the picture, so she needs to hurry. :p

I have always been a cat person. Never owned anything other than a cat, and have loved them all dearly. I can be driving down the road and see a cat near a dumpster, or near a busy street, and I will worry about that cat for the rest of the day. I truly do care for all animals, but cats are extra special to me.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
Jeffrey, it is better to be surprised. When my first cat, Emly, was put to sleap, the vet (who was not mine) sent me a sympathy card ASAP. The procedure happened on a Saturday and I got the card on Monday.

CatMom1994

Rest in peace Daisy
Original Poster
Grrr, I wish post previews showed the same thing everyone else sees. I can still see the picture. See my thread in Forum Support about why it had to be uploaded onto and copied from a third party site..