My Golden Retriever Lucky

eslucky

As I posted here the other day we had to have our 8 year old Golden Retriever put to sleep on Monday, July 23rd. She was the best dog. So smart and so loving. I never had any problems with her from the day I brought her home when she was eight weeks old. She never tore or chewed anything up. She had the same stuffed toys for years. She loved to carry them around and always picked one to take to bed with her.

I very seldom had to correct her and if I did I could whisper no to her and she would stop. She only disobeyed me once in her life. We had gone down to the lake behind our house and took a little walk. When I was getting ready to go home she got in the lake and swam around a little. I called her to come and she stood in the water and just looked at me. I was shocked that she didn't come. I kept calling her and she kept just staring at me like she was happy there and she wasn't about to budge. Finally, after what seemed like an eternity but was probably only five minutes, she slowly walked out of the water and came to me.

One of the last things that Lucky wanted to do before she died was to go to the lake. We had the fence open doing some work behind it and she tried to get down to the lake. We couldn't let her do it because you have to jump about four feet down a rock ledge to get down there. We knew that she couldn't jump since she was so weak and we would have a really hard time getting her back up.

I love my girl Lucky and will always miss her.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Your sweet story of Lucky brings tears to my eyes. :sentimental: She's playing in the lake now with your dog Penny. Lucky sounds like she was the perfect princess, well behaved and so loving and special. She was blessed to have shared a home with someone like you who was always so caring, you gave her the best of life and you should find peace with that. I'm sad for your loss, I know she'll always have a warm place in your heart. Lucky will never be alone. :beautiful-heart:

wombat

A lovely story eslucky, so sorry to see your beloved Lucky passed away, I feel your pain, you can rest in the knowledge that you gave her a kind and loving home, and you will always have those speciall moments of her to reflect on.Hugs to you. RIP sweet Lucky

eslucky

Original Poster
Thank you so much for all your kind words. Somehow I missed this earlier. It really helps. It has been almost two weeks now since Lucky went to the bridge to be with her sister Penny. Penny loved the lake too and would try to swim far out in the lake to catch the ducks and geese. She never got one but had such fun trying. I really do pretty well about losing my Lucky girl until I start to write something about her and it gets me all choked up again. So I will make this short and just say how grateful I am for your responses. I know you both understand and have suffered losses of your own pets. It is good to know that you understand how hard it is to lose them. Thanks so much.