My Greek Tortoise Won't Eat Tort Food

oli

Hi. I posted a thread a couple of hours ago, and my Greek tort refuses to eat tort food I ordered for him from abroad, no matter what. I tried one thing: I did not offer him the Roman lettuce and tomatoes for about a week, thinking hunger would make him eat literally anything. However it did not work.

Does any of you have any advise or suggestions?

Thank you.

Esme

Today I saw your original post and offered some diet suggestions which I hope helps you. I would think not eating for about a week and he would eat his food so I'm not sure what to say. Online I found there is a turtle forum that may be helpful.

oli

Original Poster
I have tried it but it just will NOT work. Any other suggestions?

Esme

I found this article on the About Home website, written by Adrienne Kruzer, RVT, Exotic Pet Expert and hopefully this helps:
Greek and Spur-thighed Tortoise Diet
Tortoises are herbivores. Years ago tortoise owners would feed their pets canned cat and dog food to make them grow faster but it has since been discovered that a diet high in protein is harmful to tortoises. Therefore, a diet low in protein and high in fiber is much healthier than food meant for carnivores.
A variety of dark, leafy greens such as collard greens, endive, fresh parsley, and dandelion greens should be the majority of your tortoise's diet. Timothy hay that is chopped up should be added for keeping your tortoise's beak trimmed and for the additional fiber.
Small amounts of fruits such as chopped raspberries, strawberries, or apples may be added but should not make up more than 10% of the diet. Some tortoise owners choose to offer a small amount of gut-loaded crickets and mealworms but it is not necessary.
Regular dusting with calcium powder on the veggies is recommended to make sure your tortoise is getting enough calcium as well.

ShadowWolf

A Girl Who Loves Animals
Hey, i used to have a tortoise, not sure if it was greek but we just fed him grape leaves and lettuce and he lived perfectly fine off of that.

oli

Original Poster
My Greek tort still refuses to eat! Please help!

ShadowWolf

A Girl Who Loves Animals
I think you should try taking him to the Vet if he still won't eat. Maybe he is sick.

oli

Original Poster
Hey, i used to have a tortoise, not sure if it was greek but we just fed him grape leaves and lettuce and he lived perfectly fine off of that.
Tried feeding Oli grape leaves, mazuri and a lot more. HE will NOT eat ANYTHING besides Roman lettuce. Don't know what on earth to do.

oli

Original Poster
I think you should try taking him to the Vet if he still won't eat. Maybe he is sick.
I would have done that LONG AGO, however vets for torts are NOT available here, (in Jordan) due to the fact that these little animals live in the wild: almost nobody would think of a tort as a pet here. The filthy rich have dogs ONLY to guard and protect their villas luxurious cars and property. (In this case dogs ae obviously NOT pets!)

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Maybe you can try to move him to a different area, one he's more relaxed and comfortable in? Somewhere where you can be near too to observe and comfort him? Are there any wild flowers that he can eat, like Dandelions? Have you created a more natural habitat for him even if he's in your house, something where he feels more like he's out in nature?

oli

Original Poster
Maybe you can try to move him to a different area, one he's more relaxed and comfortable in? Somewhere where you can be near too to observe and comfort him? Are there any wild flowers that he can eat, like Dandelions? Have you created a more natural habitat for him even if he's in your house, something where he feels more like he's out in nature?
Thanks your help. Can't move him anywhere: my flat is a rather small one. No flowers : I live in Jordan which is a......DESERsa with nothing but buildings and cars in it!!

River

Him being taken from the wild is likely the culprit of why he won't eat. If he wasn't captive bred, this means he isn't used to the tort food and doesn't know it's 'food' and therefore refuses to eat it. It really isn't good to take animals into captivity if they are raised and born in the wild, as they are happiest in their natural homes.
Since he is from the wild, he survived off of greens in his natural habitat; he will be fine eating a strict green diet. Does he eat greens like romaine lettuce, kale, chard, etc?

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
Is it possible to return him into the wild in a safe place where he could survive? Is that where you found him? It would be the only kind thing to do for him so he could live out his life as nature intended.

oli

Original Poster
Why blame me? This does NOT solve the issue nor does it get my tort to eat tort food. I have done it now and it is no good crying over spilled milk: I've had him for more than five years, and hoped that he would get used to the food, just like he got used to me, my flat, his enclosure, the climate inside, and so on.

He ONLY eats Roman lettuce, and recently cooked carrots, but nothing else, I'm afraid.

oli

Original Poster
I did NOT FIND him in the wild. I got him from a shop with a few pets/animals in it: a bird or two, a parrot Oli was there as well. I've had him for more than FIVE years, and I do not think that your suggestion is a solution to the issue-sorry!

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I didn't notice that you said you ordered him from abroad. I don't have any further advice, if he's a picky eater and he's been getting along on lettuce and carrots, they all you can do is slowly introduce other foods to him and see if he'll accept them. Good luck.

oli

Original Poster
I didn't notice that you said you ordered him from abroad. I don't have any further advice, if he's a picky eater and he's been getting along on lettuce and carrots, they all you can do is slowly introduce other foods to him and see if he'll accept them. Good luck.
I did NOT order Oli from abroad, his food (the food he will not eat) came from abroad.

Thanks your help anyway.

oli

Original Poster
What has he been eating for these five years?
Hi, he has been eating ONLY Roman lettuce, and very recently cooked carrots. I have tried other greens such as: kale, spinach, and so on, but NO WAY would he eat. He "insists" on Roman lettuce and cooked carrots. I do not know what on earth to do, particularly as here in the Middle East vets for torts are not available. I asked why and was told that torts live in the wild: maybe about 5% of those who want a pet or have a pet think of a tort.

Thanks very much your help, anyway.

Dog Force One

Banned
Hmm, sorry I don't know anything about tortoises, but if he has been doing fine on the earlier diet, does he really have to change? If commercial tortoise food is like commercial dog and cat food, it likely contains lots of cheap, not-really-appropriate filler ingredients, plus colors and preservatives. When you say Roman lettuce, is that romaine lettuce? romaine lettuce is one of the better lettuces for humans. It's more nutritious than iceberg lettuce. Is he bored of the romaine lettuce and carrots? Is he throwing them back at you in displeasure?

oli

Original Poster
Thanks your help.

I am aware of what you said as far as commercial tort food. However, Roman (or Romaine) lettuce is not enough: it is 90% if not more, water. You seem to have misunderstood me: NO Oli is ONLY ​eating Roman lettuce and carrots and refuses to eat tort food.

Dog Force One

Banned
Hee-hee, most fruits and vegetables and the leaves Oli would eat in nature are mostly water, too. You and I are mostly water. Even carrots have a lot of water in them. That's why people can make carrot juice. If Oli has lived happily and healthily on romaine lettuce and carrots for five years, it's probably decent food for him. There are a lot of nutrients in romaine lettuce and carrots. And he's a tortoise, not a person. Of course you and I couldn't just eat just romaine lettuce and carrots for a long time, but people are omnivores (=we eat meat, too). He's a tortoise. He chose a nutritious leaf to like. It's not like iceberg lettuce. Romaine lettuce is more nutritious . As they say, if it's not broken, don't fix it.

ShadowWolf

A Girl Who Loves Animals
He doesn't need tortoise food if he is doing fine. Our tortoise never ate tortoise food, just lettuce and grape leaves, and he was fine. Just let him eat what he wants.