My lil guy is so itchy and its not fleas

Beautiful510

My lil guy his skin gets so itchy and red. He starts to pull his hair out from being so itchy. I give him regular baths every sunday. What to do?😢 I know its not fleas but i dont know why he gets these little itchy spots.

shana766

It could be allergies to something. Giving baths helps to a degree with my pup. I have started using an allergy spray and I have noticed less itching and scratching. Would you like me to send over the brand I have been using?

CatMom1994

Loving cats forever
Whatever you do, NEVER let the vet give him a shot called Cytopoint. Not even "as a last resort." I will spare you the explanations for this.

You can request a low-dose steroid (prednisone or prednisolone) to see if that helps, but it is not supposed to be a long-term solution.

Alpha1

Pack Leader and Lover
I've been using Zymox shampoo and conditioner for my dog since he's been having seasonal allergies for several months starting late summer (August), he's had itching and I'm working on it to see if I can eliminate the seasonal problem in a more natural way. Also using the Dinovite supplement in his daily food. We'll see how he does this year.

I also give him some coconut oil, MCT oil or light olive oil mixed in with his food sometimes. I think that shampooing too often with regular dog shampoo does more harm than good, as it dries out the skin which creates more itching. The Zymox is for itching and dry skin, and has mild natural ingredients.

Since we'll be taking him away on a camping trip soon, I got a prescription for Apoquel from the vet, but I don't plan to use it unless things get bad. A daily brushing also helps, he needs it because of his coat, and getting out weed debris like foxtails is necessary to control anything that may cause itching.

Also, switching out their source of protein in foods is helpful, like change from turkey, beef, lamb, etc. Not the same thing all the time. Also, clear your yard of weeds if you own a house. Sprays like hydrocortisone aren't really good to use, after time they actually can make the itching worse for both people and pets.

Hi and welcome! 🙂

linda2147

Get some unscented baby wipes. Wipe his face, feet and belly everytime he comes in from outside to get off as much of the irritant as possible. Do not use anything scented around him like scented candles, room deoderizers, unscented laundry soap ect.