My new Ranchu

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
As some of you might know, Mosiah and vesper recently passed away (link to thread about it here: https://www.petforums.com/threads/mosiah-and-vesper.15259/ )
I’ve been sitting here with an empty tank, depressed, trying to decide what to do. I told myself I wasn’t gonna get more goldfish, but the other day I was at the LFS (Local Fish Store) getting some shrimp, and I noticed the most adorable little black Ranchu. I told myself I wasn’t gonna get him, but two days later I still couldn’t stop thinking about him, so I called the store to see if they still had him, and they said they did, so they put him on hold for me. I did a big waterchange and cleaned the tank really good, adjusted the scape a little bit, then added some salt and praziquantel (precautionary parasite preventative) and went down and picked him up this evening.

So here he is! He is still acclimating into the tank. He’s so adorable and I’ve already fallen in love with him. He seems very healthy and spunky. I still haven’t named him, so name ideas appreciated.😀
2FE9851C-2F17-485E-B05F-73180765D9B0.jpeg3341DF68-98F3-49E8-8D10-0A4F7C1B1A56.jpeg

CatMom1994

Congratulations! Your ranchu is cute.

I know that feeling - thinking it is wrong to not have a litterbox, food and water bowls out, etc.

When I saw the thread title I thought Ranchu was the name of your new fish. I had never heard of ranchus.

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Congratulations! Your ranchu is cute.

I know that feeling - thinking it is wrong to not have a litterbox, food and water bowls out, etc.

When I saw the thread title I thought Ranchu was the name of your new fish. I had never heard of ranchus.
Yes, he is very cute. I fed him for the first time this morning (some thawed out mysis shrimp), and oh my goodness! He was so adorable! Watching him get all excited and wiggle around the tank looking for more was so cute. He has the most adorable little antics. I tried to take some more pictures of him, but the lights are dimmed right now to keep things low stress, and he’s still a little scared of me (moving to a completely new tank can be pretty stressful for a fish).

Yes, it’s a very strange feeling after you’ve had a pet for so long, and then they are gone and you just don’t really know how to feel. It’s very saddening to have that feeling of emptiness.

Yep, it’s a semi-rare type of fancy goldfish. They have a wen (lump on their head, sort of like a crest on a chicken) and no dorsal fin. They are really comical little creatures and can be quite entertaining.😁

It is hard to get good pictures of his face because the tank is dark right now. Maybe later today or tomorrow I’ll try again.
95E7339B-E9A8-4319-B68B-422F5947E898.jpeg46EB9D20-8BD7-478F-BBBA-237C11CCB60B.jpegC4526171-64D1-4C8B-8C28-E2D1074C6AFE.jpeg

CatMom1994

The tank is beautiful! Are those real plants?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
Update: the Ranchu is doing good! He’s sooo cute. I’m still deciding what to call him. I’ve mostly been calling him my little jellybean because he doesn’t have an official name yet. 😊

He is very happy and he’s been getting more friendly with me.150BA172-304E-4E8A-AF7C-1A457B35D063.jpegC1476204-A895-4C8A-A42B-FFCE1C74E90D.jpeg11DFF2EC-AA15-4691-BB82-478FF1ADFCE7.jpeg

CatMom1994

So name him Jellybean if you want to (although I wouldn't because he is black).

Do ranchus have ears?

LittleGoldSnail

Crazy fish lady
Original Poster
So name him Jellybean if you want to (although I wouldn't because he is black).

Do ranchus have ears?
A licorice jellybean.😁

No, not really. They can feel sound vibrations in the water, but they don’t have “ears” like we do. They feel it instead of hear it. Some studies have shown that fish do respond to voices and music differently then other vibrations, so we know they can distinguish different sounds, but it’s hard to understand exactly how it works.

CatMom1994

OK so maybe Jellybean does work if there is such a thing.

I don't know why, but my sister's black kitten was named Bean by the girl who found him.