My New Rescue Puppy is Afraid of Me

FranktheTank319

Hi, everyone.

I just got a new puppy. She is a rescue from Korea. We invited her into our home and she instantly got along great with our other dogs. She seems to get along great with women, but is very scared of any men. She is starting to grow closer to my brother, but every time she sees me, she runs away. If I look at her, she moves to a different location that I don't have line of sight with. If I make any sudden movements, she instantly looks to find a place to run. When we are going on walks, she tries to run away from me like I am trying to chase her. She sleeps in my room with my because we can't have them running around in the house at night, but she is always trying to stay as far away from me as possible. We have had her for 2 weeks already and nothing has changed. I try to give her space and be very accommodating to her, but she still seems to afraid of me. She will sparingly accept treats from me, but will not let me near her otherwise. Is there any advice you can give me? I really want to make this work.

I attached a picture of her because she is so stinking cute. DSC05053.jpg

FranktheTank319

Original Poster
you need to be the only one taking care of her, fee her, walk her, give her treats ect. she will bond with the oe that takes care of her
I was thinking the same thing, but that's difficult because I am the only one that does not work from home most of the week. I will see if there is any way I can get this to work.

linda2147

you need to be alone with her do everything for her and she will bond with you. do not look her in the eye and don't smile at her, to see teeth is to her another dog growling at her and looking her in the eyes is a challenge.

Last edited:

FranktheTank319

Original Poster
you need to be alone with her do everything for her and she will bond with you. do not look her in the eye and don't smile at her, to see teeth is to her another dog growling at her and looking her in the eyes is a challenge.
That is very good advice. I really appreciate your replies. Thank you. I will try that, as well as more walks alone with me.

firmpet

Firm Pet
She is a real cute dog! :love:

I totally agree with Linda2147 and I also would recommend that you find out about your dog's likes and dislikes and respect them.
for example: If you pay close attention, you may find that your dog doesn't like the hugs you give her. But she really loves being scratched behind her ears. (It could be any of your routine)

Make sure you be the source of all life's necessities and goodies. This way she will start trusting you.
Spend one-on-one time every day.